Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Languages - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Intern

Kostia Kaploon has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
I just don't want to do it because it will take too long.
in my opinion there is enogh time for this untill the final stages of dev. + we dont need letters and all that.. all we need is basic grammar, vocabulary and sound.. (did a bit research about it..)

and if we get a good team we can acomplish it quite quick..

i realy want to try it but defenetly not on my own..

kost.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostiak View Post
in my opinion there is enogh time for this untill the final stages of dev. + we dont need letters and all that.. all we need is basic grammar, vocabulary and sound.. (did a bit research about it..)

and if we get a good team we can acomplish it quite quick..

i realy want to try it but defenetly not on my own..

kost.
That's my basic reasoning.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 PM

olauwers has a default reputation

Quote:
If anyone could get it started and organised, that would be Oli!!!
I'm not sure whether or not that was ironic. Anyhoo, I think I could get some guys from another site to join us if you want, and if the Devs could get us a list of phrases and such that we need to have (i.e.: Text already in campaigns, ...) We could pull this off quite quickly. We don't need a full language right away, just the basics to use for the game. A full language can be developed later to use for the community.

So, if I'm not mistaking, it's just kost and me right now?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 AM

Gallivan has a default reputation

http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/popups/script_1.html
http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/popups/script_2.html

They're both found at the Dawn of Fantasy flash website, hopefully they can help your initiative.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 AM

That does help very much indeed. Now, is there anything else we must know? Religions, how they count time, their governmental system, ...? Anything set in stone, or can we go all out?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olauwers View Post
I'm not sure whether or not that was ironic. Anyhoo, I think I could get some guys from another site to join us if you want, and if the Devs could get us a list of phrases and such that we need to have (i.e.: Text already in campaigns, ...) We could pull this off quite quickly. We don't need a full language right away, just the basics to use for the game. A full language can be developed later to use for the community.

So, if I'm not mistaking, it's just kost and me right now?
right now yes..

about the lang. i tend to disagree.. we dont need a FULL lang. right now but we need consistant sounds, consistant grammer and a basic vacebulary because if we try to first invent words for specific phrases it will be much much harder and unconsistant if we then base a lang. around it. so i still think we should have those basics first..

and about bringing guys to help out - sure.. y not?

kost.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 AM

Oh, no, I did not mean in any way that we should not get consistent sounds and words. I merely meant that our language doesn't have to be completely ready to put it in the game. It just needs to be speakable, the finer adjustments, such as more diversity in words, different connotations, ... can be made later, if time doesn't allow us to completely finish it.

I just wanted the phrases to make sure, once we have the basics of the language made, we can start actually translating the campaigns and such.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olauwers View Post
Oh, no, I did not mean in any way that we should not get consistent sounds and words. I merely meant that our language doesn't have to be completely ready to put it in the game. It just needs to be speakable, the finer adjustments, such as more diversity in words, different connotations, ... can be made later, if time doesn't allow us to completely finish it.

I just wanted the phrases to make sure, once we have the basics of the language made, we can start actually translating the campaigns and such.
ok then.. thats fine.. so i think we should start with grammer - and since grammer will be the most basic for the orcs (as them being not too bright) we should start there.. (btw i think we should start it as soon as posible and if more ppl want to join they are welcome..)

kost.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 PM

I do not think the orcs should get much grammar. I think the orcs could use a language where they can vaguely make their ideas clear. And maybe high orcs have a decent language. That'd fit them, since I have the idea that they have a system of unquestionable power when it comes to governmental affairs.

Anyhoo, they should have some sort of groumpf sounds in their language.

Now, grammar.

Verbs.

Their verbs could just be always infinitive, with suffixes to say if it's past, present or future. They have words to point out about who they are talking about. Translated literally to English, that would be (for the verb to be)

I be
You be
He be
We be
You be
They be

And then you add a suffix for past or future, present just is the normal form.

Say we have "Urm" as the verb "to be" in Orcish, then, it would become

Anag Urm
Anan Urm
Anar Urm
Anog Urm
Anon Urm
Anor Urm

(If these words would represent the subject, "An" could be the general idea of "person")

Now, the past could become:

Anag Urm-Bum-Dar

And the future:

Anag Urm-Bum-Dum

"Bum" could be the general idea of "time", "Dar" of "What is behind", "Dum" of "What is ahead"

Of course, all these words are just thought up at the moment, they can change. It's just to give you a general idea how I would do the Orc verbs. If anybody has any other ideas, suggestions, improvements, just post them here.

Oh, and all these words are not written as how they would sound in English, but the way they would be pronounced in Latin, just because that is an easier way to write them down. "O" is pronounced like in "Dog". "A" is a bit more difficult, since the English pronunciation of it is completely different, however, it's the same was as in most West-European languages. "U" is a bit like "oo" in "book".
Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 PM

good start but i think we could go further than that - they may have pure fact santances:

I big
Battle good but hard

for time they will have those constant time words:

Battle *future* good but hard
You *past* good in battle

and they can have action sentenses too:

I run fast (i am running fast)
You *future* run after me (you will run after me..)

what do u say?