Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Xen of Onslaught - Suggests - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM

OrleanKnight has a default reputation
Default Xen of Onslaught - Suggests

Greetings once again, just in case some of the questions I posed come at a loss for the development team -- I've decided to post a few ideas that me, and the Xen community would like to request about this particular game.

-- Customizable Races --
Bringing Unique Appearances to the MMORTS field.

Over the course of the years I've played many RTS games, and frankly there playing the same thing over and over does get a little old. Also, it's a little odd to fight the same race as yours, given that for example: Dwarf Race A and Dwarf Race B, Together hate Human Race C, why must they kill each other too?

Well I'm sure this problem, and others, may appear as the game progresses into the MMORTS field of play. So, in order to further the games possible potential in strategy and enjoyability -- allowing the players much more freedom over races they desire to command. And allowing them do this without radically changing any of the foundation of elements of the game itself. In other words, purely cosmetic, and not fundamentally game breaking.
  • Players could have the ability to "Create a Faction", one that is unique to them, and no one else -- or at least they feel it is anyway. They get to name this faction, upload customized flags and banners, dressings for uniques, and even a written history.
  • Players can then go into a Faction Builder screen, allowing them select through a library of models to decorate their race. In order not to potentially confuse other players, powerful units can not be hidden beneath a weaker unit's model. There must be "Model Sets" such as Large Unit A -- can only pick from the Large Model gallery. There can even be several existing models for the same race, like various Dragon models to give your Dragon Faction a little more personalized look.
  • Players can then colorize the units a little, using sliding color pallets and RGB windows.
  • Players can choose from various structure sets, but still must be within the limits of their faction. For example, if a player uses a Dragon Faction as the base of their race's fundamental identity, but change the look or name to a Troll Faction. They can only use Dragon Faction structures, but have the option of changing the art a little. They can not select Human looking structure for example. This would be far too confusing!
  • This way when you encounter new players in a MMORTS field, you can meet new and unique Factions that are more driven to fit that player who commands them.

-- Change the Game's Name --
Just a suggestion?

Not exactly one of my own, but this a few things the community has pointed out. The title Dawn of Fantasy doesn't really seem to really express the nature of this game very well, nor does it sound like a solid franchise title. Also, it can be summed up as DOF -- which doesn't roll off the tounge very well.

Perhaps something with a bit more kick? Understanding that many of the good titles are expired, perhaps something a little more reflecting of the large scale of the game?

Something like: D.A.W.N. (Dragons and Waring Nations) Epic Battles of Fantasy and Magic
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

oops, first reply was thinking something else, that is a good oppurtunity for customization and giving the races a unique feel however that adds much time to the development process desiging extra models and implementing animations.

I also doubt a name change is in order and i don't really see anything wrong with it.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

My experience with "user created factions" is that balance just goes down the drain. Everyone ends up playing pretty much identicle builds based on the mainstream cookie cutter strategies, and the feature ends up counting for nothing. Another issue I have with such a system is that it's very taxing on the developers, and can take away from other aspects of the game.

As for custom heraldry, that's another matter, one which has its own thread.

Frankly, I think Dawn of Fantasy is a great name, and (sorry to be woefully blunt) but your suggestions just suck. I don't think I would ever buy a game called "Dragons and Warring Nations".
Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

By custom ones, i think he means that each standard unit will be replaceable by another alternate unit that looks different but has the same stats. That is an idea that could work. As to totally custom races, it is not a good idea.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Custom unit appearances could work, but it would still be limited by practical restrictions, since players would need to be able to identify what unit type they are facing. I find many RTS games have ambiguous units to begin with, and certainly having units that can be made to look alike is a potential abuse. That said, I'm certainly much more open to discussion on this aspect then on totally customizeable races.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap88 View Post
replaceable by another alternate unit that looks different but has the same stats.
Exactly, this is what I mean. And to help reduce production drain on the developers, I highly suggest making cookie-cutter animation sets that can be applied to several models of a certain branch or tier.

Without playing the game it would be very hard to go into detail and draw our diagrams of my idea, but it is sound and can function quite easily as I've seen it put to good use in Non-Multiplayer Strategy games. This being said, allow me to clarify just one more time.

Let's say I wanted to make a custom race.

I'd select the Dragon Faction as a base foundation (stats, units, speed, ect). Then I just change the cosmetic appearance of the units from a library of units which can fit the Dragon Faction play style (Ogres or Trolls for example), and then save and play. That's pretty much it.

As for "needin to be able to identify what unit type they are facing" -- this can be worked around by allowing players to do a little more research on the possible appearance of units. Also, a very detailed help-tool ingame would also be a very easy work around. Just basically tell the player what the base unit is if they select it. They'll eventually learn what is what.

Last edited by OrleanKnight : 08-13-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM

It's not a question of necessarily knowing all the different appearances a unit could take, but mistaking two similar looking units. I could see it as abusive to pick two similar appearances for very different unit types. It's not that it's impossible to tell them apart, it's that at a glance they can be mistaken, and that's an unfair advantage.

Beyond that, no matter how well you do in-game help, such a system will never be newb friendly. I think custom heraldry and some different options for colouring and design would be awesome, but entirely different models will probably drain too many resources and open up too many considerations like the one I just talked out.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM

Well a great way to make sure there isn't too much confusion with units is not let each model type be able to pick from the same model pool. This just means far more work for the devs, but more playability for the player!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 AM

I don't think it's always that simple, but anyways, the bottom line is that I'd prefer the devs spend their time in other places, polishing up the gameplay and adding depth to its mechanics.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 AM

You'd be amazed at how much a more custom fit race would stir the gaming community. If there is any stage consider it, now may be good of time as any.