Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Kingdom Wars goes Free-To-Play! - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Reverie World Studios > News & Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation
Default Kingdom Wars goes Free-To-Play!

Finally, the long awaited announcement! Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars is going FREE-TO-PLAY this October!

Thousands of new players will build their empires and battle online without having to pay anything. We are also taking good care of our current players with a huge update - transforming the game with a lot of new content, new features, and massive changes to gameplay and balance.

And the best news - we are keeping Kingdom Wars as a game of skill, not bigger wallets. Kingdom Wars will NOT become a Pay to Win game, with micro-transactions only adding cosmetic items and decorations.

With just a few weeks left before the f2p launch, we wanted to extend a great "pre-order" offer of sorts to the new players, offering the game on sale for $4.99. This is a great chance to get a head-start on thousands of players to follow, as well as to get over $20 of content, that the new f2p players will have to unlock.

What's in it for our current players?
Very soon we'll have a game world alive with more players than ever before, with thousands of new players to fight and coop, as well as continuous updates for Kingdom Wars. All that comes with expanding our player population that's only possible with free-to-play business model.

Our loyal players, who paid for the game in the past, will not have any regrets about buying the game. Our players will get:

- All your town progress carried over, and start as elite in the new f2p game world. But it wont be long before new players to catch up
- The majority of micro-transaction content unlocked. Content that f2p players would need to spend over $20 to get
- A premium account, so that you can earn crowns from combat and quests twice as fast

What's new?
We are planning to release all the new content in a patch later in August, before our free-to-play release in October.

Some of the new content and changes includes:
-Login using Steam Login and play using Steam client
-Gameplay and balance reworked from the ground up
-Countless bug fixes, and performance improvements
-Greatly expanded mod support team available around the clock
-More City Slots so you can play as more races/regions
-Removed the old Crown item shop, all elite units like Dragons are accessible from buildings like regular units
-Several new buildings for each race, including Market buildings for Orcs and Elves
-Select the colour of your soldiers armour
-Customize your Hero's armour, face and heraldry
-Design your army banner with colours, patterns and heraldry
-Decorate your buildings and battalions with your banner and flag
-Customize your town with different building materials
-Utilize one time use booster packs to give your town a kickstart
-Utilize Premium Account to temporarily boost quest and pvp rewards

Fair Monetization (a.k.a NOT Pay To Win)
With Kingdom Wars going free-to-play our primary goal is not to make hoards of gold, but to create a large player community that know about our games and hopefully like them enough to maybe spend a few dollars here and there to help support us.

We have considered different options for monetization, taking into consideration player suggestions and trying to avoid the common pay2win traps, and we think we have come up with a good model. Even now, things are not set in stone, as we will continue consulting with our players over the next month to come up with the system that makes everyone happy.

For now, this is the plan:

Elite Units and Heroes
We have removed the old in-game Crown item shop. All the elite units like Dragons, Dwarves and Heroes have been moved to buildings on the players homeland. For example, if a player wants to recruit a new hero, like the Dragonslayer, they would need to build a Tavern building and hire the new hero there - after appropriate research, and using in-game resources.

Payments
All payments are made using the Steam Wallet in-game after a couple of confirmations, so if you've earned a few dollars selling Team Fortress 2 loot drops or Steam trading cards, now's a good time to spend them and customize your Heroes and Cities to make the game more personal to you.

Crowns
As always, players will earn the in-game currency - Crowns - through Quests, PvP, or by expanding their empire to include Vassals. We will not allow players to spend real money to buy hundreds of Crowns directly. However, we are including a Premium Account option that acts as a Grinding Booster that lets players earn Crowns faster with double the reward for Quests and PvP among other things. We will be offering some one-time use booster packs that include a combination of Units, Resources and Crowns that players can use to give their towns a bit of a kickstart, however, these will be strictly limited to 1 time purchase only.

Premium Account
Premium Accounts offer players a bit of a grinding boost in earning Crowns as well as some other limited benefits. Players who have activated a Premium Account will double their crown income from quests, battles, as well as vassal tribute and daily reward. In addition, these players will get a special chat tag to denote premium status that changes based on the race you are playing - [LORD] for humans, [MALEE] for elves and [MADA] for orcs.

Unlike with most games, Premium Accounts are for in-game time, not calendar days. Players can take a couple of days break from playing without worrying about wasting their premium days and a 14 day Premium Account can last for ages if you only play a few days a week.

We hope you are all as excited as we are about this and we look forward to seeing you all in-game soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heroes.jpg (248.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Import.jpg (155.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Konstantin Fomenko : 10-07-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

We`ll be happy to answer all of your questions, so please don`t be shy.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM
DoF Moderator

ZvonimirG is on a good road to success

No questions from me - just want to wish us all (players and MOD/DEV team) good luck. I hope to see hundreds of thousands of new players in KW F2P.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Game Balance Designer, QA

vicious666 has a default reputation

Here we go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_ml296lYciR1rhf94bo1_500.jpg (81.2 KB, 26 views)

DoF KW race and units guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by vicious666 : 08-12-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Elven Sect:
Warden

Blaine has a default reputation

Sounds great.

Quote:
Unlike with most games, Premium Accounts are for in-game time, not calendar days.
Lots of respect for you doing this. It shows you really care about customers getting value out of what they invest and allows people to use it up as and when they want to.

Quote:
Gameplay and balance reworked from the ground up
What sorts of things can we expect to be reworked? I think for me personally one of the bigger issues currently is the trait system; for example some traits are only useful for building your city up, whilst others are more permanent and have a bigger effect, so I guess one of my hopes would be a re-look at how these traits can have a long term effect so as a new player you won't later feel like you regret a choice.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Wakko has a default reputation

I havent played for a while, but has the "clunkyness" improved? Like unit movements and so on. It didnt feel very fluid at all when I last played. For example, the units didnt even have any turn animations, they'd just teleport into the right direction. Did not feel fluid at all

Would be nice with a little bit more details on what has actually been fixed.

Quote:
-Gameplay and balance reworked from the ground up
-Countless bug fixes, and performance improvements
This especially, what kind of gameplay changes has been reworked. What performance improvements.

I'd also recommend making a highlight video showing what has been done to show new and old players how the "new" game actually plays within the game engine.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
What sorts of things can we expect to be reworked? I think for me personally one of the bigger issues currently is the trait system; for example some traits are only useful for building your city up, whilst others are more permanent and have a bigger effect, so I guess one of my hopes would be a re-look at how these traits can have a long term effect so as a new player you won't later feel like you regret a choice.
The list of things we`ve changed would take a dozen pages. Almost every stat in-game been adjusted in some way. With traits - we have spend a lot of time balancing them - especially the long-term military traits. In addition we are planning to add ability to change your traits, for a cost. So for example players might choose traits that aid with building and economy early on in the game, and later in the game - save up couple of hundred crowns to change to military/siege traits - it`s well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
Would be nice with a little bit more details on what has actually been fixed. This especially, what kind of gameplay changes has been reworked. What performance improvements. I'd also recommend making a highlight video showing what has been done to show new and old players how the "new" game actually plays within the game engine.
Good idea - such video would really be helpful, and we have a lot to showcase, I`ll run this by the team.

And most like what you are referring to is performance/pathfinding issues - that has been significantly improved. If you are referring to animations - unfortunately we haven`t improved these much.

It would help if you would mention that last time you played. As we`ve been constantly working on the game, including the core engine ever since the beta release.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Wakko has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
It would help if you would mention that last time you played. As we`ve been constantly working on the game, including the core engine ever since the beta release.
Last time I played was after the Pathfinding/AI patch, however it still felt too clunky after that patch so havent played since. I havent really kept up with the patches since then, but I saw the F2P email so I thought I'd drop by again.

I dont know if it was the AI/pathfinding or the animations, but I do remember my units "teleporting" into the right direction instead of actually turning.

A video however would be very helpful though.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Human Sect:
Archer

Wolffighter has a default reputation
Default more buildings?

ok than add more spaces to human and elve towns cause in my human town i already have to less spaces for the buildings or my storrage in the hometown is extrem low
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM

We are re-balancing storage as well, but won`t help that much. You will need to build at least 3 new buildings... I guess it`s a strategic decision - to train Dragons or have more storage.