Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

DoF Magic system. - Page 12 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

"Who can counter faster" may not exactly be a trivial point. With cooldown and mana limitations, simply casting a counter to every spell the opponent casts may drain you and leave you vulnerable. Conversely, many of these spells are double-edged, so you may find a way to make an enemy's spell work against him.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Thank you Darvin for your point.

Mana is almost like a resource in DoF, there is only so much of it on a map, it isn't dispersed per unit, but is a collective thing for your entire army. Sorcerors must gather mana to use their spells, and with a limited amount you wont be able to just cast back and forth until someone dies, you wont know how much mana your opponent has accumulated as it is never a set number.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

Thank's for clearing that up Ryan. Interesting aproach to the problem.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny View Post
Thank you Darvin for your point.

Mana is almost like a resource in DoF, there is only so much of it on a map, it isn't dispersed per unit, but is a collective thing for your entire army. Sorcerors must gather mana to use their spells, and with a limited amount you wont be able to just cast back and forth until someone dies, you wont know how much mana your opponent has accumulated as it is never a set number.
Once it runs out though what will wizards/mages do?

Thanks

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

I said it's -like- a resource, resources do not come back, however mana will regnerate over time after it's been used. Meaning if all the mana has been collected, but no spells have been cast, no more mana will come, you will have to wait until it's cast and then there will be a regen time before you can absorb it again.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

That actually calms my fears quite a bit about needing to match the enemy's spellcaster numbers. With such super-units as spellcasters (or heroes for that matter), you need either an exponential dropoff in effectiveness as their numbers increase or a hard limit to those numbers. As these spellcasters do not have a hard limit, I'm pleased to see that the mechanics of mana will effectively give an exponential dropoff.

I suppose that might not make sense to everyone. Suppose you have zero spellcasters; you cannot use mana at all. Clearly it will massively improve your tactical position if you add a spellcaster to your army. Adding a second spellcaster to your army will better allow you to use that mana, but it can't be said to have the same impact as the first (it's still a benefit, but clearly not of the same magnitude). The third spellcaster, likewise, will have to share the mana of the first two, so the benefit of adding a third is less than the benefit of adding a second. As you continue to add more, the restrictions of mana will make each spellcaster less and less beneficial, until it's completely pointless to build them. This is what I mean by exponential dropoff. Each spellcaster you add to your army matters less than the last one, and at a certain point there's no reason to build anymore. This gives a practical limitation on the unit.

Hope that made sense to everyone.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

I think this game will REALY stand from the rest LKE realy STAND..
Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

So you can spend it all at once or conserve it over time. Good point.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Going to revive this so maybe it will prompt Reverie to release screenshots of/ some more information on the aspect I'm most looking forward to!
Quote:
We are debating if we will include a tech-tree for magic as well. Or force players to research each magic school/spell back at their base. Our magic is quite a powerful force, so we`ll have to find a way to limit player`s access somehow.
What I would like though, is either in the form of a small poster in the manual or just a page dedicated to it is a tech-tree of all the spells, how they crosslink with other spells and schools of magic. That would be nice and intuitive, and make people appreciate how much effort has gone into a complex but innovative system!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Diggz has a default reputation

Im wondering how the countering works, do you have to aim your counter directly over the spell you are countering (hell spikes for example) or can you just hit any area of the spell?

E.g. if you don't encompass the entire area of effect of the spell with your counter will the entire spell be neutralized or will only the parts you countered be neutralized?

and for the issue of the number of magic users, why not just allow all you can buy, but they wont be ressurectable and/or weak.

That, or you have a few powerful spellcasters as said before limited by the building.

And for heroes, I'd love to see a mage hero who is like any other spellcaster, but contributes more mana to the pool, is a tad stronger, maybe has a ranged attack, and can be ressurected!