Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Will be looking for intern scenario designers and scripters soon. - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
Keep in mind that we are looking for people who can work with scripting/triggers first of all, the level design skills come second.
Do you guys need any 14 year old video editors by any chance? *puppy sad face*
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

Wait, you mean like after you introduce a command in the script, you can enter the same kind of command with less letters/words (Characters)?

Anyways, they said that they would include triggers and scripting.

What I never liked about scripting is that I couldn't capture it visually, all I did was open a word document and type stuff in, one error and it fails.

But I will overcome this problem, somehow XD...can't wait to get my hands on the editor!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_squirrel View Post
Wait, you mean like after you introduce a command in the script, you can enter the same kind of command with less letters/words (Characters)?

Anyways, they said that they would include triggers and scripting.

What I never liked about scripting is that I couldn't capture it visually, all I did was open a word document and type stuff in, one error and it fails.

But I will overcome this problem, somehow XD...can't wait to get my hands on the editor!
Sorta, I read it on DoF heaven I believe. Each script you do creates a line that can be typed that will simply replicate that script to save time, unless I'm totally off. I'm gonna try to find that quote. Was only 150~ pages or something, not a ton.

I know they said they would do triggers... eventually. I wasn't thinking they'd be added by the time any interns got their hands on it, either an actual trigger editing interface that scripts for you, or a compiled list of scripts somewhere in the editor would be wonderful. A list on a forum organized by type of function with a brief specific description that we compile on our own would work too, of course. I like to create descriptions that break down each line of the LUA to explain it's particular function so it's easily modifiable to the desired purpose rather than create billions of different scripts with tiny alterations. Of course this was for Wc3, and I was much younger and had trouble with scripting, back then I was spoiled and lazy with triggers though. Once we all get more familiar for our own purposes we probably won't need it anymore, it'd still be a great resource to help those getting started however if there's still no simplified trigger editing.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 09-12-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Elite Member

I'd be happy with what you suggested, the only part I didn't like about scripting is that I only saw notepad instead of the actual editor screen woith all the comforting 3D models, knowing what I was gonna do to them and where 0_O.

I'd be nice to be able to script inside the editor with a list of coammdns to base off of, like you said ;p.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_squirrel View Post
I'd be happy with what you suggested, the only part I didn't like about scripting is that I only saw notepad instead of the actual editor screen woith all the comforting 3D models, knowing what I was gonna do to them and where 0_O.

I'd be nice to be able to script inside the editor with a list of coammdns to base off of, like you said ;p.
It's doable without but yeah, it'd make things faster. Can't wait until they update this with the more detailed requirements. I've never been so excited about an opportunity like this, if anyone had told me I'd be applying for an internship somewhere a couple months ago I'd have laughed at him. Work without pay? What kind of crazy world is this! But that's just how it is, the chance to do something you really want to is worth more than a bit of money.

-twiddles thumbs waiting for people to wake up-

... 6-9 more hours depending on where they live. Do want more active forums lol, can't wait for the influx of people that inevitably comes with beta!

Last edited by Josh Warner : 09-12-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Elite Member

I'd do this for free, I actually find this too good to be true, to think I thought this hobby wasn't gonna help me at all.

If I do get in I will work extra hard, yay I sound like a five year old .
Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 AM

I've actually ordered a couple books on LUA, I self taught the things I know now by taking apart and putting back together scripts in warcraft 3, so hopefully I can get those in time to start relearning before this goes too far.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Elite Member

Might check it out on the internet later to see what I am going to be working with ;p.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Haeso you keeno.
Anyway, this thing about easily replicating scripts, it sounds similar to referencing.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
Haeso you keeno.
Anyway, this thing about easily replicating scripts, it sounds similar to referencing.
I'm currently making a game (PAINFULLY simple) that runs in the Lua.exe haha.

It has a whopping 4 stats, health, damage, exp and gold. And it'll probably have less than 10 commands, but it's teaching me a lot of stuff, trial and error is a very harsh teacher though. Hoping to finish it before those books arrive and I can start learning specific stuff instead of self teaching.

And yes it does sound similar.