pop system - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmino View Post
Not to mention how annoying it would be when your computer lags because you have 500 units and your enemy has 6000. Pop limits add strategy to the game. You need to spread out your military and economy in a way that is efficient and allows room for your empire to expand. So pop limits are pretty important in this sort of game.
Good point thanks for adding that. It is a "strategy game" after all.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM

DDERME has a default reputation

Well at least make the workers,gatherers,snon-combat units whatever theyre called not cost pop cus that what i hate bout strategy i buişld a ton of workers
but then i cant build soldiers and etc can the non combat units not cost pop
or have a diffirent limit plz
Old 12-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

I like the idea of having to diffrent pop limits for your non-combatants and combative units.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

JDmino has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDERME View Post
Well at least make the workers,gatherers,snon-combat units whatever theyre called not cost pop cus that what i hate bout strategy i buişld a ton of workers
but then i cant build soldiers and etc can the non combat units not cost pop
or have a diffirent limit plz

But that would ruin the strategy, if you don't need to worry about spreading out your population to keep your empire running then it is no fun. It would just be boring and people would just build way to many gatherers(etc.) and make the game lag. They would think along the lines of, "I don't need to worry about population for economy, so I will just build way too many so I can get more resources." But that would ruin the game for those people with bad computers who could not run the game at those standards. Population is an important part of the RTS genre, without it game can be unbalanced and too many units will be on the screen.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
But that would ruin the strategy, if you don't need to worry about spreading out your population to keep your empire running then it is no fun. It would just be boring and people would just build way to many gatherers(etc.) and make the game lag. They would think along the lines of, "I don't need to worry about population for economy, so I will just build way too many so I can get more resources." But that would ruin the game for those people with bad computers who could not run the game at those standards. Population is an important part of the RTS genre, without it game can be unbalanced and too many units will be on the screen.
well theres still can be a limit for the workers
Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 AM

anyway i had the worst computer on earth and now i have a better one
so i know how it is when u hack the limit and make a load of troops
it lags but only if u make an amount of one million hoplites from
age of mythology and still one million troops didnt lag that bad it just laged
for bout 10 seconds then it was back to normal and age of mythology
is an old game and i think game engines are better so i dont think there
will be a problem for a seperate limit on workers

and with the pop limit that on now still bad computers would lag
i know this cus with that many troops with the best graphics on
nearly every bad pc would lag so i dont see the posibility for bad
pcs to play this game often.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

What about, since humans and elves can only build on presetup locations that there is limited farms/lumbermills/mines...... that you can build. And each support x number of workers.

So for example that you can build just 1 farm 2 lumber mills and 1 mine and in farm max gatherers are 10, lumbermill 2x6 and mine 15. So here (in this land with this much resourses) the peasnt limit cap is 37 and you cant build more since there is no place they can work on. And since there is limit to buildings (that support specific number of workers), there is also limit for x workers. Beside there can be upgrades that increase worker limit or increase speed of production there....
And so this economic buildings would increase hidden worker pop cap and houses would increase normal pop cap (for units duh).

In my opinion this is better since when this game goes live there will be guides/expert ppl that would say/x....... whats the perfect number of workers (for mmo) so you would still have imba army and at same time good economy and so everyone that would want to be competitive would use this combo (since it would be the best). And my suggestion gives everyone same chance since there is worker limit in different way. The strategy part here would be if you would from start fill those spots, would you spend money first on upgrading economics, but i agree that if there is pop cap for workers same as units it gives you some more strategy feeling like you have more choices (which is very good) and at same time it worries you if you would have too few army to be competitive to others because of many workers.

I like both, my idea and the normal one (freedom is important !!) that pop cap is same and you can build as much workers you want.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!

Last edited by Kire : 12-18-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

Lets just wait to see what they come up with and -then- complain..
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

Quote:
Ya was thinking about that and I agree it would ruin the strategy of balancing the two.

But who knows maybe they'll have a new system we shall see.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM

willrockyo1 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
This is sort of how Orcs work in-game. Orc player get a slow income of free Orc units. You can choose for these free Orc units to wield a bow and knife and be a hunter/food gathering unit, or a laborer unit - for gathering other resources, and building.

And majority of Orcish troops (not counting Ogres, Goblins or various beast units) will be drawn from these free Orc "peasants."

For example you select a bunch of these free Orcs, task them into one of the Orc War buildings - and they`ll be given right weapons there to become a certain type of military units (depending on the building you task them in). After you give them weapons and turn them into soldiers, you can choose to task them into one of the beast building - to get them to become mounted units, or task them into the temple, to further train them to a 2nd level military units.

So you can say that with Orcs - these free Orc peasants are a resource.
This sounds like a huge advantage to Orcs. That and I think I read somewhere that orcs have more pop than other races. The ability to transform workers to military at will is pretty huge. This will be exciting to witness.