Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Ive have been waiting/looking for this type of game forever!! - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square > Traveler Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

I've been looking for this type of game for awhile to . IT's getting closer to coming out and more updates on the game I'm very excited. Always wanted an online RTS that played off of past games and you continue to build your empire.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
1 and a half year is enough for a sequel to be honest... and so you say you've already developed a system of controlling the game with a 360 controller?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeso View Post
I remember the first (And last) RTS I played on a console, never again. No mouse, no keyboard, no RTS.

Its all the matter of porting the engine and everything else to work perfectly for the xbox 360 (and ps3, hopefully) the hard part with porting it to the consoles is the controls; while it might be quite easy to implement it is hard to 'get right'. The reasoning for this of course is because a console controller has only a few button functions while a PC has hundreds - thousands. (Ctrl-Alt-A, Ctrl-Alt-B..C..D...); the console's analog sticks are indeed nice and smooth but overall can not contend to the mouse's quick reflexes of their human hand masters in either acceleration and decceleration.
if you try to mouse over LiTos's "1" then back down to this "O" trust me a mouse will be much faster then trying to mouse over it with a console controller.

The good thing about consoles now days is the USB ports, buy a USB keyboard and mouse and use them on console RTS games that support it. Will Dawn of Fantasy on console Support USB keyboard and mouse? We don't know yet, but I hope so.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post

Its all the matter of porting the engine and everything else to work perfectly for the xbox 360 (and ps3, hopefully) the hard part with porting it to the consoles is the controls; while it might be quite easy to implement it is hard to 'get right'. The reasoning for this of course is because a console controller has only a few button functions while a PC has hundreds - thousands. (Ctrl-Alt-A, Ctrl-Alt-B..C..D...); the console's analog sticks are indeed nice and smooth but overall can not contend to the mouse's quick reflexes of their human hand masters in either acceleration and decceleration.
if you try to mouse over LiTos's "1" then back down to this "O" trust me a mouse will be much faster then trying to mouse over it with a console controller.

The good thing about consoles now days is the USB ports, buy a USB keyboard and mouse and use them on console RTS games that support it. Will Dawn of Fantasy on console Support USB keyboard and mouse? We don't know yet, but I hope so.
Sounds fair to me. And i agree on the console mouse point. You can never get the speed of play in any game when compared to a pc and mouse. Even cod4 on 360 isent as fast as pc cod4 play.

I think if this game wasent usb compatible with the console. it would have a major affect on how many people play it. I know i wouldent want to attepmt it without
Old 09-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post

Fair enough about the USB ports, if you manage to get support for keyboard/mouse it'll be great for consoles no doubt about that. The only disadvantage is lack of player made content, I imagine with the next generation of consoles we'll have some system for allowing user created content to be hosted/shared though. A few games have very limited capability for this, but it's really just not there yet. Granted if the MMO mode for the game becomes the focal point, user created content won't really be an issue. So we'll have to see how it unfolds.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 AM

Artilla has a default reputation

im excited too..

hopefully this game will give us depth from the economy and full scale combat we all are waiting for...

LET THE ORC FIGHT BEGIN!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Fair enough about the USB ports, if you manage to get support for keyboard/mouse it'll be great for consoles no doubt about that. The only disadvantage is lack of player made content, I imagine with the next generation of consoles we'll have some system for allowing user created content to be hosted/shared though. A few games have very limited capability for this, but it's really just not there yet. Granted if the MMO mode for the game becomes the focal point, user created content won't really be an issue. So we'll have to see how it unfolds.
Agreed i think it would be asking to much to have user created content on a console. Purely for the reasons of how hard it would be and that the scriipting is diffrent when it comes to a console game than a pc one.

a possibility is if the really good user content can be put on the xbox market place. (Sort of like an expantion). To wich it can be then downloadad and applied. (Always with a turn off option though :P )
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 PM

xsacha has a default reputation

Me too. This is my ideal game with sweet graphics and heaps of units.

By the way, what game engine will this use?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
Agreed i think it would be asking to much to have user created content on a console. Purely for the reasons of how hard it would be and that the scriipting is diffrent when it comes to a console game than a pc one.

a possibility is if the really good user content can be put on the xbox market place. (Sort of like an expantion). To wich it can be then downloadad and applied. (Always with a turn off option though :P )
The scripting would work exactly the same, you would have to create the maps on a PC of course, but otherwise they SHOULD work exactly the same. The only thing that might be different is graphics and whether or not MMO mode goes into the console. Can't remember if they'd said anything in regards to that.

I believe far cry had user created content, almost certain. (for the console) it was peer to peer downloaded I believe, if you joined a custom map room, you would DL it. It was a long time ago, so can't remember for sure. It's certainly a working system, it's how battlenet does it. Just would require a way to get the maps onto the system, which isn't TOO hard. However that sort of infastructure requires a lot of work and development.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
The scripting would work exactly the same, you would have to create the maps on a PC of course, but otherwise they SHOULD work exactly the same. The only thing that might be different is graphics and whether or not MMO mode goes into the console. Can't remember if they'd said anything in regards to that.

I believe far cry had user created content, almost certain. (for the console) it was peer to peer downloaded I believe, if you joined a custom map room, you would DL it. It was a long time ago, so can't remember for sure. It's certainly a working system, it's how battlenet does it. Just would require a way to get the maps onto the system, which isn't TOO hard. However that sort of infastructure requires a lot of work and development.
Hmm intresting idea. Guess we will have to wait and see how far down the road they want to go on regards to that. They could create like a halo forge style play aswell where users store there own maps etc.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
Me too. This is my ideal game with sweet graphics and heaps of units.

By the way, what game engine will this use?
I'm pretty sure that Reverie made their own engine for DoF, I don't know what it's called if it's called anything.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)