Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

What is the price for dof? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will you pay for the pc version?
I want to play it for free 10 23.81%
I just want to pay because, games that cost money are better dumb nub! 30 71.43%
I don't know 2 4.76%
I hate DOF, who cares if we want to pay or not! 1 2.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
I doubt most of gamers know how the cost of the game breaks down.

From the 50$ you get in a store like Besbuy or Wallmart, the store keeps around 8-10$. The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is. Usually Publisher would take at least 50% of what`s left. And in the end developer would get around 8$-10$ after years of hard work and majority of investment Awww ~hugs~ its ok ~pat pat~

We are really pushing DoF to be soled online as well as retail. Download size of the final game should be under 1.2GBs making it quite an easy download. And manufacturing and retail fees are almost nil.
Also yes download is awesome. Don't forget the adobe manual and whatnot.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I'll probably just buy it in the store. I'm not a fan of large downloads (at least, they are for my computer).

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
From the 50$ you get in a store like Besbuy or Wallmart, the store keeps around 8-10$. The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is. Usually Publisher would take at least 50% of what`s left. And in the end developer would get around 8$-10$ after years of hard work and majority of investment
The only surprise to me is the cost of the box. Seems these days every publisher is using exactly the same box, so you'd think you'd be able to buy them in bulk and stuff in your manual and cover art. Honestly, if it shaved $10 off my purchase I'd buy just the jewel case. The only thing I'd miss is the manual, but the charm that went into manuals of the older days just isn't there anymore anyways.

Quote:
We are really pushing DoF to be soled online as well as retail. Download size of the final game should be under 1.2GBs making it quite an easy download. And manufacturing and retail fees are almost nil.
Digital distribution is really starting to make sense these days. I suppose this is a matter for your publisher, but there's very little overhead associated with digital distribution, certainly nothing on the order of actually packaging and shipping and occupying shelf space.

Last edited by Darvin : 08-28-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
You're probably looking at the standard price range for new games. As mentioned, 50 bucks sounds appropriate. It certainly won't be free (legally anyways <_<)

For my part, I pay for my games. If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth playing. That's not to say that freeware is bad, it's just that I won't pirate my games. I intend to support developers who actually strive to create excellent titles.
I try games before I buy them, if there's a demo, great, if not, well. I don't buy games before I try them, waste way too much that way. It's a controversial stance, but quite honestly if a company isn't willing to let me try their game before I buy it, then I'm not willing to trust that they created a game worth paying for. I've saved hundreds doing this on games I played a day at most then removed from my PC. And games that I do really enjoy I make a point to go out and buy them. Fallout for example I enjoyed so much that when my gpu got melted by a bad psu while I was waiting on parts to arrive I went and bought a second copy - for my 360. Plenty of other games like that, and many more of the other type, that just weren't worth paying for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
The only surprise to me is the cost of the box. Seems these days every publisher is using exactly the same box, so you'd think you'd be able to buy them in bulk and stuff in your manual and cover art. Honestly, if it shaved $10 off my purchase I'd buy just the jewel case. The only thing I'd miss is the manual, but the charm that went into manuals of the older days just isn't there anymore anyways.

Digital distribution is really starting to make sense these days. I suppose this is a matter for your publisher, but there's very little overhead associated with digital distribution, certainly nothing on the order of actually packaging and shipping and occupying shelf space.
I have manuals for some really old games that are bigger than most novels. I loved that, but really it's all about digital distribution now. It's cheaper, and it's easier for most people.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is.
They really cost that much?

By the way, random question... Do the cases commonly used now cost more or less than the old game cases that were basically carboard boxes?? XD I actually like them cases more, the modern game cases are too small and flimsy which is why I like the fact most special editions of games are thicker
Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
They really cost that much?

By the way, random question... Do the cases commonly used now cost more or less than the old game cases that were basically carboard boxes?? XD I actually like them cases more, the modern game cases are too small and flimsy which is why I like the fact most special editions of games are thicker
Me too and they were produced at around the same price, because everyone was using them. If you wanted to produce the old cases now it would most likly cost more as not many people are doing it. Hence the special editions only having old style cases. But still i prefer them too. Like looking at the development and concept are also.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned Acount Serfing

MrBlack103 has no reputation

Maybe just for aesthetic purposes you could release a manual for either seperate sale or with a "special edition"?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Elite Member

I wouldent be suprised if they opened up a walkthrough, or advansed stratergy guide later on like WOW has and other online games.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

Truly for this type of game I woundt mind paying monthly it looks good and they have to keep up the servers and updates. You know maybe not 15$ per month like most I think is standard maybe 5 or 10 per month. If they dont have to charge monthly and they just do expansions every once in awhile that'd be even better. But this game looks like it'll be awesome currently I'm not paying for any games monthly cause I dont think there worth it.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaznafein View Post
Truly for this type of game I woundt mind paying monthly it looks good and they have to keep up the servers and updates. You know maybe not 15$ per month like most I think is standard maybe 5 or 10 per month. If they dont have to charge monthly and they just do expansions every once in awhile that'd be even better. But this game looks like it'll be awesome currently I'm not paying for any games monthly cause I dont think there worth it.
quick shhh dont give them ideas :P lol

Hmm i agree i wouldent mind paying 5$ a onth plus expansion packs. that would keep it in the right price area. And compete even with guildwars with its no online fees.