Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

WoW: Cataclysm - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

I think when you sell a posibly dangerous product and have the ability to limit that product to safe levels you have a human responsibility to do so that's all. You don't see crack dealers selling their best addicts enough to OD on, they'd lose their best customer, and lets be honest games like WoW specifically target areas of peoples brain to make them addicted, it's no joke.

It may be stupid to you or me but to someone who honestly can't help it because the sensasions are truly overwhelming to their mind are victims of an intentionally addictive substance (and it honestly does sound stupid to me). I realize people would buy multiple accts except probably kids whos parents pay for them, but so what the company could show the tiniest responsibility with a limit given their clear targeting techniques. I think when someone goes too far heck yes it's their fault but it's also the companies job to try to keep their product safe. Childproof cap plix0rz 0.0 Anyways I personallygame too much but i know when to get off my ass and eat/exercize/sleep/go look at the pwetty sun lol.

Last edited by Aametherar : 08-24-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Scissors have a possibility to kill people, I'm sure that someone has fallen on or stabbed someone else with scissors and the person died, but does that mean that the makers of scissors should add caps to put on scissors everytime they're not in use to prevent people from stabbing themselves?
This is a poor analogy and has very little to do with my point because those are purposely malicious or accidental acts.
But the game shouldn't have to implement those to be responsible for their costumers. People will still find ways to still play games even with those things implemented and some people will still die because of their own stupidity and the game will be blamed because society has become a blaming society where it is very easy to blame someone else and make them the enemy to everyone else, who believe you because they have the same mentality as you. They shouldn't be complained to because stupid people kill themselves on their games. They're not police, they're shouldn't have to try and stop people dying from their own stupidity(especially since they have no idea that it happened until it's on the new or something). The USA is a free country and no where in the constitution does it say anything about setting limits on things that could kill you if used overly, especially since the person is stupid for doing it.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
who believe you because they have the same mentality as you.
Um, I actually disagree with the point i've been debating just so you know, just argueing the other side trying to spice things up a bit . Can I film your head exploding though?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

I hate people who do that, Aametherar, tons of people I know do that because I make weird friends. I also think you already mentioned that.
And the "you" in that quote isn't towards anyone specifically, just to whoever does what was said in my previous post.
On an unrelated not, playing russian roulette with an unloaded gun should be banned, there's still a chance a plane could crash on you.

Last edited by Darathor : 08-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Quote:
... I think games should only be addictive for a few hours, then you need a break from them ...
Quote:
Maybe a stupid question, but how will this happen in DoF MMO mode ?
We tried to address this issue with persistent economy and base building, as well as micro transaction - and providing player with alternatives to having no life and grinding day and night.

Sure, you can spend 10 hours online grind and get like 5,000 gold. Or you can play couple of quests in an hour, put all your peasants to work, and yor armies on marauding lands, log out, go out, get some sleep, go to school, come back and you`ll have 2,000 gold ready. (just a rough example)
However, persistent economy degrades over time since your peasants left under your supervision go lazy or run away, so this only works best over 48 hour period.
Additionally you can spend some real money to get the same 2,000 gold. (we are putting a lot of limits on how much a player can purchase though micro transactions)
Old 08-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
your peasants left under your supervision go lazy or run away
This is so so so so so ... awesome and "real". It is so cool knowing the game will give the feeling that you, the player, are in charge of you're own castle and if you are not there then nothing can go the way it should, because the order in you're castle depends on you.
Should there be some royal guards or militia who keeps the order while you are logged out? Those militia could consume more gold as a payment for keeping order and they should function only if the player choose to use them. Maybe implemented in a microtransaction way, as the player buys peacekeepers for real money and they are usable for a week, after the payment has to be renewed.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Quote:
I think when you sell a posibly dangerous product and have the ability to limit that product to safe levels you have a human responsibility to do so that's all. You don't see crack dealers selling their best addicts enough to OD on, they'd lose their best customer, and lets be honest games like WoW specifically target areas of peoples brain to make them addicted, it's no joke.

It may be stupid to you or me but to someone who honestly can't help it because the sensasions are truly overwhelming to their mind are victims of an intentionally addictive substance (and it honestly does sound stupid to me). I realize people would buy multiple accts except probably kids whos parents pay for them, but so what the company could show the tiniest responsibility with a limit given their clear targeting techniques. I think when someone goes too far heck yes it's their fault but it's also the companies job to try to keep their product safe. Childproof cap plix0rz 0.0 Anyways I personallygame too much but i know when to get off my ass and eat/exercize/sleep/go look at the pwetty sun lol.
Responsibility lies with the individual, and to a certain extent the parents.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Damn you ppl =P, this post wasnt ment to be about addiction =P, you ppl, moderators and even blues gone offtopic x.x . You should all be spanked for that !

Anyway.... to give my 2 cents here....in wow there i see just one thing that causes addiction and sadly that thing is there intentionally, to make ppl addicted.
The thing is... gearing your character up while there are coming better and better and better gears in time and every ppl want to be the best or at least in line with others (so he dont get inst killed or things like that). Imagine what if the gear would be just for estetic look....wow would loose 90% subscribers in a night i guess. ( the other addict can also be lvling but that stops when you reach max lvl, money grinding and reputation also, but you can stop if you are not grinding reputation or money to get better gear)

Ppl like blizz dont have much imagination on how to get ppl interested, without making them grind every day to get better. And this is sad.... ppl with power which allow them to do so but dont do anything... just the most profitable and easiest way....

i personally would prefer just estetic look in way that blizz would have to work hard and think other things to make it fun to play... here kicks lore in (100% would have bigger part in play).

And to the topic about the responsibility that game makers have...
Games are design to addict ppl... some more, others less. The first thing in mind of designers is to make game that ppl will buy (+ they can put their dreams in it-not always). What would you do to make ppl buy it? Well you do game as modern as possible with mods that keeps ppl playing it even after the day they try it. Who would buy game otherwise if you get entertained just for 1 day? In order to do that there must be an addict element (therefore form any game you can get addicted....from some more than others) (so scissors arent ment there to stab ppl... but games are there to addict ppl)

There are ppl that arent interested in games....but there are ppl for which games are made. Now put together the computer itself who make ppl also addicted + games + the fact that you can be better in a easier way in game than in real life. You get addiction bomb here. We ppl are different from one another, so games have different influences. So ppl who make games should this have in mind and at least do something in order to prevent this or at least shorten it.
(it is moral to do that and we must care for each other- for example......what if you were the person with this addiction (imagine that), with his brain, mind, hard to resist games..... now look trough your eyes on that person.... thinking as if you are looking on yourself (when you imagined that before)....wouldnt you try to help yourself ?).

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!

Last edited by Kire : 08-25-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

WoW fanboy invasion alert. I never once said wow was like crack or had the same affects. I used a...oh nevermind i'm so not explaining this if you didn't get it the first time, i'm sorry, good luck.

"seriously have any of u ever tried to accomplish for something so long and when u get it done ur very happy?"

That's the main addictive element some of us are referring to, and they always make sure that nice reward to feed your mind and that there's always something further away for you to reach.

Last edited by Aametherar : 08-26-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

WoW is a game that has steadily gotten easier and easier to cater to millions more players. I don't like having everything easy, unbalanced, random, and generally stupid. While it is fun in some parts, they seem to purposely change it to where it's easy, simple, and boring. It was a great game, now it's a good game, but when the expansion hits, it will probably be relegated to the okay games' list.