WoW: Cataclysm - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
I hate WOW, period, its the number 1 game killer and life killer. meaning it is ranked 1 for aiding people in their suicide and killing all social life in many of its users. (I'm not insulting you guys*)

one case a guy couldn't get off, so addicted that he didn't go to the bathroom, drink water, eat or sleep for over 76 hours, died from well all of the above...

I think games should only be addictive for a few hours, then you need a break from them like fps and rts games; something that actually has a stop in gameplay like rounds or maps, not just a signout signin button that gives way to endless gameplay that never ends......
I agree, they shouldn't even allow a player to be logged in for periods that long.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

I don't think I could ever blame a game for being too addicting and causing people to die from exhaustion etc. while playing. It's not the games fault that you play it for 50+ hours, the person apparently didn't have self-control if he just sat there and played for that long.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
I don't think I could ever blame a game for being too addicting and causing people to die from exhaustion etc. while playing. It's not the games fault that you play it for 50+ hours, the person apparently didn't have self-control if he just sat there and played for that long.
I dunno games intentionally have addictive elements, wow has a lot of them. I think due to this fact they really do need some limits.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Quote:
I dunno games intentionally have addictive elements, wow has a lot of them. I think due to this fact they really do need some limits.
Ever heard of laissez-faire? Let people do want they want, decide their own limit. It's not the companies' responsibilities, in this case they're not doing anything wrong.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

I'm not saying that it is the companies responsibility, i'm saying that a responsible company would and should put those limits if they care at all for the consumers safety especially considering the ease. The fact is the mmorpg genre is geared specifically twards getting players addicted.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Ever read user license agreement ? Never, but it may say somewhere something about addiction, or not.

Edit: Uh, uh, this one is good (source)

AAGP stands for Anti Addiction : For Gaming Preservation

Addiction Warning Signs

Spending a lot of time gaming doesn’t necessarily qualify as an addiction. “Eighty percent of the world can play games safely,” Bakker says. “The question is: Can you always control your gaming activity?”

According to the Center for On-Line Addiction, warning signs for video game addiction include:

Playing for increasing amounts of time
Thinking about gaming during other activities
Gaming to escape from real-life problems, anxiety, or depression
Lying to friends and family to conceal gaming
Feeling irritable when trying to cut down on gaming
Defining Addiction

While most people associate addiction with substances, such as drugs or alcohol, doctors recognize addictive behaviors as well. In a WebMD feature on the definition of addiction, psychiatrist Michael Brody, MD, set forth the following criteria:

1. The person needs more and more of a substance or behavior to keep him going.
2. If the person does not get more of the substance or behavior, he becomes irritable and miserable.

Young says compulsive gaming meets these criteria, and she has seen severe withdrawal symptoms in game addicts. “They become angry, violent, or depressed. If [parents] take away the computer, their child sits in the corner and cries, refuses to eat, sleep, or do anything.”

Last edited by szebus : 08-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

While yes I suppose a few limits would be good and prevent stupid people from dying, it's not the game's or company's fault if someone is stupid and plays for that long. It's not like the game forced them to or anything.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Quote:
I'm not saying that it is the companies responsibility, i'm saying that a responsible company would and should put those limits if they care at all for the consumers safety especially considering the ease.
So a 'responsible company' should impose limits?
Therefore, any company who does not impose limits is an irresponsible company.
The merit of 'responsible' relies on imposing limits.
Imposing limits is therefore a responsibility.
The companies are therefore responsible.

Contradict much? I couldn't resist.

What you want is a 'nanny state'. Do you like excessive health & safety, the type that means you have to display a sign saying 'Caution: Slippery when wet.' Do you all agree that cannabis should be illegal as well?
Why would you deny the people the right to do what they want?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
So a 'responsible company' should impose limits?
Therefore, any company who does not impose limits is an irresponsible company.
The merit of 'responsible' relies on imposing limits.
Imposing limits is therefore a responsibility.
The companies are therefore responsible.

Contradict much? I couldn't resist.

What you want is a 'nanny state'. Do you like excessive health & safety, the type that means you have to display a sign saying 'Caution: Slippery when wet.' Do you all agree that cannabis should be illegal as well?
Why would you deny the people the right to do what they want?
A game with such limits is Guild Wars, However the system is very easy to get around, the timer counts up and once it hits a certain point it signs you out... unfortunately you can just close it and reopen the application and the timer is reset...

And as for your comment Puppy... Such signs are stupid and a waste of time, if I see one I laugh at it (funniest was at McDonalds where 3 were right next to each other) It is just stupid that such things happen, but they do, and a contributing factor is the amount of people SEARCHING for ways to sue or claim compensation... (My fathers company had someone put their hand throw a window because it wasnt safety glass when it should have been)

As for cannabis... yes it should be illegal... I dont hold anything against those who use drugs, it is up to them if they want to wreck their own lives... But as long as they stay away from other people while doing so... If they want to wreck their own lives go ahead, just dont wreck other peoples...
(sorry if that wasnt the answer you were looking for... )
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Bit off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
... As for cannabis... yes it should be illegal...
I think, not cannabis or the use of it should be illegal, but the distribution.