Siege Towers - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Yes some damage types don't effect other types, like normal arrows cant hurt a building, fire arrows can, start it on fire.

Walls cant even be attacked by almost everything except some siege equipment and or other units just like in real life, good luck slashing through that 5 foot thick stone wall with a sword like you see in other games. Archers still try to volley their arrows over walls though so they are still effective.

My advice that is historically true is not to destroy the walls but rather capture them with siege towers and ladders and use the walls to your advantage with archers on top of them shooting at everything below behind the wall. you get enough good bottlenecks at the staircases and he wont be able to do a thing about you taking his own walls from him, this is especially useful when fighting Orcs seen as they only have 1 layer and pretty much all of their buildings and army are most times inside( unless the players your fighting against likes building them outside there Orcs, they build anywhere.)
go orcs, woot \o/ woot /o/ woot \o\!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto
Lightbulb

Sounds good to me. Would be cool if you could assign more men to a siege engine or engineers etc to which can pull the siege equipment faster to its target but then your men can be more exposed. Ads an extra stratergy to the game if you want your siege to the walls quicker your going to have to pay for it with troops, or you can choose to reserve yoru troops but on the down side your siege might take more of a beating and become unsucessful. Just a thought.

Also with the archers on the walls. I can see that possibly becoming a problem if you bottelneck say a group of swords on the stairway. And then fill the rest of the wall with archers. How will the defender counter that as pikes wont (just guessing) be as affective on stairs and calvery (also guessing) wont be able to go on the battlements either.

all thoose swords just have to hold the position while the archers rain merry hell on anyone who tries attacking them.

just thoughts that crossed my mind.

One idea is that archers have a bonus when firing at your own wall from within the city. So thoose on the wall dont have a cover bonus other than the hieght when attacking down from the walls.. This would enable a more fun fire fight and the possibility of retakign the walls??

feel free to message me on theese points.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Quote:
One idea is that archers have a bonus when firing at your own wall from within the city. So thoose on the wall dont have a cover bonus other than the hieght when attacking down from the walls.. This would enable a more fun fire fight and the possibility of retakign the walls??
If the walls have small crenelations on the inward side, then there's no reason for archers to bypass this bonus. Depends on the design of the wall, the defender's archers aren't going to have a bonus just to make it easier. If you lose the outer wall, don't expect to regain it easily.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
If the walls have small crenelations on the inward side, then there's no reason for archers to bypass this bonus. Depends on the design of the wall, the defender's archers aren't going to have a bonus just to make it easier. If you lose the outer wall, don't expect to regain it easily.
I wouldent say get rid of all the cover bonus but decrease it slightly to make it slightly easier to gain back the wall. Otherwise the balance of power would be to great (Im assuming cant say as havent played the batttle system).
It would be a case of cram the ramparts with archers when you capute the wall and the defender dosent have a chance.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
I wouldent say get rid of all the cover bonus but decrease it slightly to make it slightly easier to gain back the wall. Otherwise the balance of power would be to great (Im assuming cant say as havent played the batttle system).
It would be a case of cram the ramparts with archers when you capute the wall and the defender dosent have a chance.
That's the whole point! You can't expect to surrender the outer wall and regain it easily. There's a reason why you're keeping the invaders out. And decreasing the bonus makes no realism sense either.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Personally, I think his whole idea is pointless. Archers will just have the high ground and that's it. There shouldn't be all this messing around with bonuses.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Elite Member

Smile

Quote:
That's the whole point! You can't expect to surrender the outer wall and regain it easily. There's a reason why you're keeping the invaders out. And decreasing the bonus makes no realism sense either.
I agree on the realism point, it would not benefit the game depending on the fight system in place. Being a moderator you most certianly have a better feel for the game etc. So i wont argue with you there (on a side note is damage realistic too on this game? e.g you hvve lucky shot arrows that can go though a nights head for a head shot or kill the unprotected in one shot?, just wondering how far down the realism line they are planning on going with the fight system?)

and i was just making the point so that it was something to think about, i didnt want this game falling into the trap of other games where all you do is rush the wall to win the fight (we all know thoose games). I want it to be a fight to the very last man. throughout the settlement. Not untill someone has the walls.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Quote:
Being a moderator you most certianly have a better feel for the game etc. So i wont argue with you there
Just to point out, I only know as much as the devs release officially. I know only as much as the other members, as do the other moderator, it's just we're here to help organise the forum and remove spam/bots. Other than that we're the same
But don't worry, they're multiple layers of walls in the bigger castles. The battle's not over until every last man is dead!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Just to point out, I only know as much as the devs release officially. I know only as much as the other members, as do the other moderator, it's just we're here to help organise the forum and remove spam/bots. Other than that we're the same
But don't worry, they're multiple layers of walls in the bigger castles. The battle's not over until every last man is dead!
Oo cool am i right in thinking there are also developers on the forums aswell. ITs been a while since i have gave it a real good look, waited for the new forum to be up and running.
and keeping it on subject. That sounds great then just like a real fotress and citidel.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Oh yes, the devs are very active here. Unlike most companies. They offer little gems of info when the post ^^