Closed/Open Beta Testers? - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
ahh np - I will assume this is more heading more towards the 'large multiplayer online RTS' game not massively then lol

Most betas get 100 players on first day minimum and use about 500+ to explore the MMO aspects that cause the most difficulty in this genre.

Heavengames is regarded as 'of note' by wikipedia so I have just assumed that means they take advertising for reviews like the rest of the sites 'of note' like gamespot et all. Sorry if the staff there take offence but I am suspicious of popularity on the net lol.

Rtsc doesnt do MMORTS - they only have Saga on their list and thats more down to the casual game elements of the trading cards imo and a fan on the staff maybe. DoF fans live there thus coverage - no other game in our genre is mentioned by that site - they are stuck in the 1990's in my eyes.

And previous betas have led me to regard sites like betawatchers with caution - they will lead to a misleading influx of folk with no clue what they are meant to be playing nm assisting the devs to weed out gameplay issues. Bugtesting will be fine - even console users can spot those lol but gameplay for longevity? I think those sites mostly harbour those seeking free games not real beta testers.

Dont mean to be negative but i find way too much is assumed in this genre and even devs can get tunnel vision over this. An RTS game could be accommodated and understood more easily but MMORTS is a hard beast to ride and I have yet to see a dev listen before commiting too heavily to change whats needed.

As many devs have found out - i am happy to pop onto vent and swear at them for being stupid there also
Oh boy where to start ~twiddles fingers~

First the number of testers usually depends heavily on the publisher, and is usually limited early on at least. Some open the flood gates early or later.

As for heavengames, hum, I wouldn't say it's insanely popular and i'm pretty sure the wiki admins hate them. It is quite a large group though. Reverie studios actually has a history with Heavengames, here's a quote if you're interested. Oh and comparing it to Gamespot? Ouch.

"In addition to their involvement in Reverie, many of the developers also have interesting histories with HeavenGames, where several of them first got into the game design industry. These developers include Konstantin Fomenko, DoF’s Producer and the former leader of SCN Punk here at HG; Gordon Farrell, DoF's Lead Writer and the writer of HG's SOLO Blog and a former HG scenario designer; Alexander Flegler, DoF’s Lead Game Designer and staff at Age of Empires III Heaven; Andy Joslin, DoF’s Lead Scenario Scripter and an active member and scenario designer at Age of Kings Heaven; Doug Bonds, DoF Map Designer and former scenario designer at Age of Empires III Heaven; and Patrick Flynn, DoF Map Designer and former scenario designer at Age of Mythology Heaven. So if you see any of them around, be sure to give them a thumbs up. You should be able to pick them up pretty easily based on their pretty blue names in our forums."

Source:http://www.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...=ct&f=51,2,,10

As for RTSC, I believe they try to do anything of note and interest to them, you would have to ask though. To be fair there havn't been any great mmorts, and this game will have a plain RTS aspect and the MMO aspect appears to be more browser based setup rather than an open world (stand alone obviously like dreamlords but I think you get my meaning) info about MMO specifics have been pretty closed off to the community for now though.

As for Betawatchers.com, it seems to me to be a smaller group rather than large swarm of people. I use it and I would hardly call myself misinformed on betas. That is more up to each individual, if people are looking for free games they're everywhere in listings on many sites desperate for hits on their ad revenue (like um...yours, no offense intended ofc, i'm all for spreading the word). I think the majority of beta testers are looking for a free game and not up to helping actually test it, there are no real exceptions to that unfortunately.

As for MMO mode, I think it's more persistent world rather than 1 true MMO world, but we'l have to see. Also devs listening or not listening to its players has a lot to do with which devs you're talking to, and how strong a presence their publisher has as far as making plans. Revire seems to have a very long rope from what I can guess at, obviously I wouldn't have any info on that. They do however seem rather happy with how things are turning out and plan to have room for more after release which is always good.

Swearing at devs doesn't really accomplish anything, it's more counterproductive, you have to try to suggest what you like, understand limits and know what is too much. I find suggesting anything that comes to mind regardless of how insane and elaborate is good though as it can still allow the devs some new ideas of their own out of the details. In the end you have to realize it's their project, their vision, and the best you can do is throw out ideas so they might catch a few and put them in the game making it better for everyone. Also as a gamer I do have to say that some of our ideas truly are outlandish and/or stupid.

Note:I may or may not be wrong or misinformed in stated post, but it's my view on things at the moment unless otherwise corrected.

Last edited by Aametherar : 08-03-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Vimes has fair reputation

Points taken and no offence taken or intended.

Was a pre-coffee error @ betawatchers.com - was hearing the...other ones.. will read more slowly when depleted in future

I would like to point out how much, when it is indeed found, the debate about MMORTS usually runs along the lines of "I wish there was one" and such and most debates involve zero searches on the word. The biggest failing was informing folks there was such a genre between 2000-2005 when MMORPG (bleh) was on the ascent proper. The money dictated that a game with, what should be, a damn fine chance floundered in obscurity if it wasnt MMORPG. Technically they would have done ok nowadays imo but hey lol.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
The biggest failing was informing folks there was such a genre between 2000-2005 when MMORPG (bleh) was on the ascent proper. The money dictated that a game with, what should be, a damn fine chance floundered in obscurity if it wasnt MMORPG. Technically they would have done ok nowadays imo but hey lol.
When a new type of game is released it is never widely recieved and generally flops, but these forerunners give birth to a new generation of games that may grow and flourish with dedication and imagination... (God the poet in me is coming out again) Either way, the initial releases of games are rarely a success but they lead to greater things...

I just hope that some developers, not mentioning names of course *cough cough*, will realise that the way games have been developing is showing a big gap in the market for games with a good storyline, there are some games with great storylines, but hardly enough, too many developers are sticking to the same old rubbish they made the previous time but just improving on graphics, graphics although good; are not the only thing which makes a game... Why do they think so many JRPG's are achieving such highs of success with their good storylines and cutscenes.... Square Enix is one great example...

sorry about the off-topic rant XD i think i may be a little bit overtired
Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Either way I think early keys will be limited, hopefully by later beta youl get some keys for your site ^_^. Speaking of which, I found that Hive rise game through your site, i'm already #1 with tank only, air only, conqueror mode, warlord, and domination mode in 1 day lol (names Beerstein). I wonder how long it took em to make the game, it appears I managed to break it in 1 day, everyone is copying me exactly. I decided to make anti-that strategy and go around slaughtering only clones of me for fun but oops, now it's kinda boring everyone's the same lol. I've effectively reduced the game to 3 buildings and 1 unit type, i'd love to see the look on the devs face when they log in and see it heh. I adapted it when everyone started copying me and added another unit type making it better but all I appear to be doing is teaching everyone int he game to play, it's getting harder already lol.

Last edited by Aametherar : 08-04-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM

Liljagare has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
Uh... no.
There was only one boy who tried that and he got eaten.
Hmmmm.. how about, dedicating a small brewery to the development team?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Tbeaz161 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljagare View Post
Hmmmm.. how about, dedicating a small brewery to the development team?
That might get you a free copy but i dont know if they want people beta testing who they think ahve to bribe them.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Lordadamar has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feweh View Post
Invites should not go out to the highest post counts. Really tired of seeing people tell others to get their post count up. Which basicly turns into spam sadly.
I could name a few people that post useless crap just to get there 2 cents in whether it valid to the post or not...

As ive said before ill have a fan site up in 48 hours if that gets an invite.

I try to only post constructive questions or opinions.

I do agree that post count shouldn't have to do with anything with getting into beta.

I also think Reverie World Studios should have the typical beta application form as most others beta invites have. That includes System DXDIAG upload
and past beta testing experiences and what titles you play now.

I mean seriously if your MMO experience is PS3 or Xbox360 titles it is not the same.

I have beta tested:

Everquest 1 & 2
Dark Age of Camelot
Rubies of Eventide
ShadowBane
Eve online
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Age of Conan
Darkfall Online
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Mount and Blade
Auto Assault online
A few more titles between 2003-2007 I cant remember

Sony PS2 Platform Tester

Everquest online adventures

Microsoft

Vista and Win 7 tester

I just did this short bio because 98% of the betas i have done name off 12-24 past titles to see what you have played...

And ask extensive questions regarding your system, because if you don't know whats in your machine how can you possible diagnose crashes on your own, Dev's will have there hands full keeping the servers up not trying to figure out why your machine wont load it...

Last edited by Lordadamar : 08-08-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

And this game will be one trophy plus for you , but there are some who don't just want to beta test to have this one on the list with other titles forgotten between 2003 and 2007. No offence.

Last edited by szebus : 08-08-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

I'm not wanting to beta test this for one on the list either, this game just looks awesome.
Lots of people have been registering lately, to get into beta I presume, the number of members jumped from about 670 to 683 in a day or two.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Lordadamar has a default reputation

MAYBE i should have been clearer for those who think beta testing is a TROPHY...

I merely said what I did because CLOSED beta testing is not a just a free game to play just because it looks COOL.

1. Closed beta testing requires knowledgeable testers to accurately explain there problem.

2. Closed beta testing also requires time, devs don't have closed betas just so you can just play the game, its to aid them in finding and correcting problems.

3. Closed beta testing should not be just given to people for the hell of it, thats what OPEN beta is for..

Here there's more for you haters