Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Suggestion: Read-only maps - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice
Default Suggestion: Read-only maps

Among the biggest problems in any game with an accessible map editor are map "vandals". These are people who take a successful map idea, load it up in the map editor, and start adding super-powered units to their favourite faction. Then they decide that since they added so much content (cough) they are now the author, and delete the original author's signature on the map. A couple iterations of this vandalization, and the original version is essentially one among hundreds of bastardized ones. The game has been ruined not only for the community at large, which must wade through versions acclaimed by kids who know which unit is the most rigged and mass it before anyone else figures out, but for the author who has not only lost credit for his work, but also all credibility of the real map version.

The solution I've seen in other communities is unfortunate; essentially, the maps are corrupted so that, although they will run in game, they cannot be loaded in any editor. This solves the problem, but it also prevents newbies to the mapping community from learning from the works of others. I think a better solution may well be a "read-only" designation that a creator can give his finalized version (of course, keeping an editable version that will never be released for personal use). This would allow others to see the content of the map and its scripting, but they would have to systematically copy every feature of the map into a new file in order to save their own edited version.

I think this is a simple solution that will allow those who seriously want to learn from the works of others to do so, while still preventing those who want to pervert them from doing so.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Silent_Lamb has a default reputation

I was going to add here that maybe the map could be passworded, so that when you download it and open it in the map editor, if you have the password you could edit it. Unfortunately, the cons out weighed the pros in my mind.

Darvin, I believe this is a must for people (like myself) who enjoy editing maps, so hopefully this idea will be implemented. Nice idea .
Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 AM

artyp has a default reputation

maybe a read-only option?
sure, a lot of map makers will make their maps read-only, but some may want to make some open-source maps.
i've found that most people like having options. always having an option means you can make more people happy.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Well, I would have hoped that goes without saying. Of course it should be optional to have the read-only designation.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation
Default I got a better idea.

I got a better idea.
Give the creator an option to add a password to his map so that you need the password to resave the map. If you don’t have a password, you are still allowed to view the map and all its scripts and such, but not allowed to save it or export it in anyway; this way noobs can learn but cant use the “Save As” button. ( I am implying that everyone that uses the Save as button to steal credit is a complete noob.)
Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Something we really didn`t think about!

I love the idea of adding the password. I am sure there will come out some sort of hack for it, as password, or any other sort of protection will be stored inside the map file, but it should work at least for mainstream users.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:52 PM

At very least it will require a third party program for someone to crack a map. That should mitigate the problem. Unless the map in question is one of those sensational hits (in which case I'd expect fansites will clarify the official versions), it should suffice.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
Something we really didn`t think about!

I love the idea of adding the password. I am sure there will come out some sort of hack for it, as password, or any other sort of protection will be stored inside the map file, but it should work at least for mainstream users.
that right there probibly are people that would be able to hack it. although therefore they wouldn't be noobs.
you could probibly have a question answering system also. like "What was your first teacher's name" or "What is your mother's maided name" I believe that those are a lot harder to hack; but don't take my word for it, I have never progamed a password within a 3D program.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Ndition has a default reputation

Can't you lock the first author signature so it can't be removed/overwritten, but people will still be able to edit the map and then add their signature as a "modification" signature so it goes like

Creator:someone
Modded by:kiddie1
Old 05-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndition View Post
Can't you lock the first author signature so it can't be removed/overwritten, but people will still be able to edit the map and then add their signature as a "modification" signature so it goes like

Creator:someone
Modded by:kiddie1
in a way that would be better. but they could still get a lot of credit for doing nothing. they would still get their name on it. as well if they could hack a password im sure they could easily hack somthing of what you stated.