Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

How to promote PvP and Retain Players - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Rusmolot has a default reputation

Regarding Permadeath and buying Resurrection:
I may hate losing units, but I love permadeath! I also think that flagging certain armies for pvp and others not is ridiculous. That's like saying, "Oh I'm sorry bandits who are after my trade wagon with a pile of gold in it, I have a pvp off flag flying above it. Why don't you go attack that heavily armed, well equipped, highly trained, army of Godzilla killers over there? It has a PVP flag on!" I think the system is fine as it is for now, with the exception of the D/C exploit where the person who disconnects keeps their entire army but the other person suffers losses. If there is a D/C either the person who D/C should suffer losses, or neither player suffers damage or losses.

Regarding Retreating:
I do like the idea of controlled retreats though, if there was a designated area where to retreat to, like the border of the map, then perhaps leaving a unit in that area for a certain amount of time would retreat that unit in its current state. This would allow us to tactically retreat heavily damaged units, or our entire army altogether, but also allow the opponent to pursue and destroy said units. This in itself would become a major thought process in it's own right - how do you organize a retreat with minimal losses? If you are losing the battle, then it is inevitable that you will suffer losses, but perhaps you can use some surviving level 2-5 units to cover the retreat of some heavily damaged level 10-20 units. level 2-5 are easy enough to train up again, whereas level 10-20 take significantly more gold and time to retrain, so obviously the level 2-5 unit would be acceptable losses. When the battle ends, the retreated units join the surviving units to form the surviving army at the end of the battle. VOILA! I think contrary to Total War, that retreating out of a seige battle as a defender should be allowed as well. By surrendering the city, you allow them to destroy and pillage the city as the enemy wishes, but you save your army, and if you're lucky maybe you get to counter attack and exact revenge upon your foe.

Conclusion:
You have to remember that the game is still young, and not everyone is ready to go out and start to PVP. I think you can expect PVP to flourish when alliances are implemented, and the exploits dealt with (100% resist - apparently still not quite fixed, D/C).

Afterthought:
Resurrection would be an interesting topic to come back to if/once undead is released. I would love to see a game mechanic that would allow me to resurrect a dead unit of orcs as skeletal warriors or fallen orcs or something, with maybe 1/2 the level and cleared skills? I dunno... like I said, it's just an afterthought.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Nobodave has a default reputation

Well, many players (inlcuding me) HATE any and all PvP.

And what we hate even more is PvPers trying to force their play-style on everyone else, pressuring devs to make life harder for carebears (badmouthing us sheep in order to make life easier for the wolves. This has been going on in Eve Online and other MMOs)

So I very nearly cancelled my purchase when I read about mandatory PvP.
Especially since for a small game like this, it's more likely someone will find a way to hack it, and *click* eradicate the units you've been training for days.

IMO the decision to force everyone to participate in PvP is a grave design error.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM

GooberLord has a default reputation

A PvP flagging system wouldn't work like that at all - basically there would be two ways to find people to attack: First the current way of blindly attacking anyone nearby with a relatively similar army strength (a system I think could be improved anyway), or Second having a list of player armies that are marked for PvP that players who WANT to fight difficult armies can avoid all the blind minesweeping the current system gives. You would have to be idiotic to flag a trade caravan or a training army for PvP in the proposed system - and if a player did, they'd learn not to do that. Likewise I think wanting to play an MMO and then not liking PvP is like playing an RTS and hating the birds-eye view of things.

There is some pleasant and profitable middle ground between permanent unit death and revivability. I think the basic suggestion of Crowns for Revive is sound for both players and developers. If a player loves permedeath, then they just won't use Crowns to revive units. But in order for PvP to be successful and fun at all as opposed to nerve-wracking and disheartening to at least one of the players every time, some sort of hope for dead units needs to exist.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 PM

oopomopoo has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodave View Post
Well, many players (inlcuding me) HATE any and all PvP.

And what we hate even more is PvPers trying to force their play-style on everyone else, pressuring devs to make life harder for carebears (badmouthing us sheep in order to make life easier for the wolves. This has been going on in Eve Online and other MMOs)

So I very nearly cancelled my purchase when I read about mandatory PvP.
Especially since for a small game like this, it's more likely someone will find a way to hack it, and *click* eradicate the units you've been training for days.

IMO the decision to force everyone to participate in PvP is a grave design error.
I think you're thinking too much into this. If you don't want to pvp, you don't have to. You can pay off the battle for only a few thousand gold. Even then, only people within 10% of your army strength can attack you, so it's never going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

On main topic though - I hate the thought of losing units in pvp and that's why as of right now, I will not pvp. I see pvp as something to do for fun. Have your army and pvp. After that match, queue again and fight another player. Again and again. This death system greatly penalizes that approach since you can't exactly queue up again because your army is missing people and then you have to go retrain them.

I would suggest a softcore pvp (No loss of units or even regretably 50% loss of units) queue and a hardcore pvp queue with greater rewards and your army will die. If after X seconds or 1 minute, there aren't enough people in queue, then you'll attack a random player like the current system.

I would again suggest a queue system because you'll get other players that actually want to pvp. Like it was said in this thread already, sometimes people are doing town management and don't want to pvp so they'll just pay off. Others like the above quote simply hate pvping. If I want to pvp, I'd like to fight like-minded people - not people who are trying to do their main quest and I happen to interrupt them.

"but pomop, if you have both softcore and hardcore, then no one is going to play hardcore!" Well... what does that tell you? The masses want to play softcore? Perhaps.. Then can you /really/ say that the masses want hardcore if they're all playing softcore? Of course this game is probably different, but that's usually the argument against soft / hardcore. Hardcore does add that sense of danger since you can lose your units and everything, but it also should give higher rewards, so people would be more likely to try it out.

"But you'll get more rewards if you just softcore cause you can queue and queue over again"
well.. yeah, I suppose. That's one reason I hate hardcore - having to take an extended break just to make more units and level them up. Also, why are you pvping for the rewards? I thought you'd be pvping because you enjoy pvp.

They would probably have to make a system for hardcore queuing if no one is available - maybe have X player as hardcore and loses units and gains additional rewards and the opponent as softcore who saves units but gets less rewards. That should be a pretty simple way to fix the lack of players queuing.

- to prevent making the reward for hardcore too high per battle, you could probably nerf softcore rewards so they earn less than they do now. Then in comparison, the difference in rewards between the two 'cores' is even greater.

edit - I'm not against a crown revive system. It's better than the alternative. I still am firmly against a permadeath situation. When I pvp, I like to pvp. I don't like doing one game and then spending the next hour making new units and leveling them up just to repeat it. I'd rather have my group of units and learn to use them properly, battle after battle.

Last edited by oopomopoo : 05-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 AM

forandever has a default reputation
Lightbulb Online Average Str Indicator

Wish there's and Indicator of Average Strength of Online guys.

It will be a Much help for PvP
Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Puschkin has a default reputation

Mhh or maybe make an item (cost in crowns) who allow the user to see (only one time) some army ready for PvP and the strenght of these army. But, this item don't show the place where are these army.
I think it can be a cool item and high player will spend a lot of crown for buying this item.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Location: Somewhere between the Westcoast of the USA and the Eastcost of Japan
Sunleader has good reputation

Well the Idea of at least giving the option to Ressurect Higher Leveld Units from an Graveyard has been mentioned by the Community in the Past.

However it was dismissed to keep PvP interesting.

Well both sides are sort of right there.
Fighting when you can just resurrect all Units is somehow not really thrilling.
There needs to be an risk after all.
On the other hand losing Units which people raised is always annoying.

Tough i cant complain about a lack of PvP lately anyways.
Since Steam went on I never had trouble of finding enemys.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Tragda has a default reputation

The amount of level 20 units I've lost...

This would make my life so much easier lol. Defiantly have my support on this idea.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 AM

forandever has a default reputation
Lightbulb PvP System Suggestion

IF there's an Average lv Gap of 5 or 10 or more between Attk side and Defence side,

the Match Shouldnt be matched

However Str Value is same or similar, it's just New Beginner killing job.. if lv gap is large.

P.S when Calculating Average lv of Amry.. Heroes and Dragons shloud be calculated by some other methods unlike other units of max lv 20.