Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

SEO and other things - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Ailric has a default reputation
Red face SEO and other things

We need more people brought to the game. Thus far the focus has been on giving away free keys, etc. while always nice, realistically we need people buying the game. Of the number of p,ayers listed, I suspect most are bought, or free accounts just used to get crowns and ice dragons for primary accounts, none of which will ever generate revenue.

My thoughts:

Based on search rankings, a bit of search engine optimization should be done on these pages and other related pages. We want to bury the negative and promote positive pages that show all of the good things being done for and by the game. (I can help or do this for you if needed) mod blogs and guild sites are needed to help make this work, and a reward should be given to recruit guilds. Named units, etc. if you get guild buy in, you will gain players.

One point where MANY games miss on launch is not having guild content. This seems a small thing and easy to add later so it gets pushed back. This is a huge mistake. Most players play MMO style games to play with friends. Most people are in guilds. Guilds keep people together and PLAYING together, even when interest flags players stay because their friends are still here. If you don't have the tools to make this easy for them to help each other out, transfer items, units, etc, then it is a single player game with co op. your retention goes down as a result. Use the ability of friends to GUILT their buddies into playing through the rough times

Custom units. Players love to build things. That is why they play. They also want to name them and make them theirs. Generic names like Hero build no attachment, you want that Hero to be named Ailric, and you want to be able to build him the way you want.

In short, my comments are geared toward increasing visibility of the game which I know we can do with this, and increasing player retention through perceived ownership.

Please pm me or comment here if you would like to discuss in more detail or would like my assistance.

Ailric
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Moosegun is just above average reputation

I own an online development and internet marketing strategy company and I agree 100% with the OP. A lot of gaming / software development companies fail badly at marketing, hoping that the quality and popularity of the product will do it for them.

I also agree about the customisation side of things, allowing for user based customisation really builds the feeling of ownership. For example, allowing units to be renamed after reaching a certain level.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Developer - Lua Coding

Brian Shingles is on a good road to success

A common comment we've heard from players is "I didn't even know about this game until I saw it on Steam" which suggests, yes, we are failing at marketing and need to do more.

We're looking into our marketing options and are talking to a number of companies at the moment which should see the visibility of the game increase, although we do welcome any advice or suggestions.

After May 1st, Kon will let me get back to working on in-game guild support (Alliances) and Hero customisation. I have plans in place for what I want to achieve, it's just a matter of having the time to add it in, which I should have soon. I agree that guilds and customisation will give players a greater sense of ownership.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 AM

I appreciate the quick reply. Here are a few things that can be done that do not require any real development from your side that can be started right away, and a few things that can be done with minimal changes.

Guild incentives. Start a promotion where any guild that that plugs your game on their guild home page will receive 5 referral keys to give to their members. NOT keys to the game... You want them to BUY the game. The keys would give 5 accounts the Ice Dragon and 120 crowns. You could then offer the 120 crown keys to any newly purchased account for those guild members. Or something similar. Bonuses given if the guild adds Meta tags to their site that contain "Dawn of Fantasy" and "Kingdom Wars". I would recommend skinning a new Dragon that can given instead of the 120 crowns listed above, or giving Greens to Guild members that join from a guild that is promoting your site.

Blog incentives for Video Blogs and other Feeds (twitch etc) and YouTube Channels created by players plugging your site and showing how much fun it is. Something similar to the above.

Put a simple counter in place that tracks how many people a player has brought in through referral. ONLY COUNT THOSE THAT ARE FROM PURCHASES! This may not be possible with your key system. If it is, great, if not, run with it as it is. Provide Ranks to players based on this that are appended to their name in Chat.

Append Guild Names and Ranks for Guild members. Guild leaders are such because they like to lead, recognize that and them with their titles. Player assigned are best, but it does require some monitoring... Players can be foolish... :P

I am Chief Technology Officer of a large firm. Lean on the technical skill of your players. As chief geek among geeks, I have several guys working for me that like gaming and welcome the time to goof off on extra curricular activity. Make your needs known, you would be surprised at what I could donate, as can others, I am sure. Time, hardware, etc.

There is an amazing amount of ownership that comes from a name and a small range of customization. Add ownership and you have players that dont want to lose something.

Last. Territories.. This plays into ownership. They dont have to display on the primary map but can on a PVP map. When it is selected, sub divide all existing zones into 30 sub zones. Make ownership of these produce a trickle income of crowns or another currency used to buy or build custom units. They can not be protected with attack protection. They have to be held for 12 hours before they change hands, and can be attacked by anyone. They can be defended by anyone in a guild or allied guild (alliance however you word it). This style ownership keeps players for long term and provides the best sort of ownership as the players dont want to let their friends down.

As always, if I can help. Please let me know. I am always happy to.

Last edited by Ailric : 04-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Added a link to your downloads page to our primary guild site just because... :P

Blackthornes

May as well start pushing my own advise
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Developer - Lua Coding

Brian Shingles is on a good road to success

Thanks for the suggestions and for posting on your guild site, we'll have to give you some codes to give away to your guild members who buy the game

We'll probably end up doing most of what you suggested.

I know Kon will be interested in reading through this when he gets online.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Sounds great. Have him drop me a PM on how to handle it and I will get the ball rolling for my guys by buying 5 additional copies then distributing to the first five gimps to respond to my post.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Puschkin has a default reputation

Don't know if you have one or not but a facebook page (or another "social" network) is a good option (and free). Some people are on facebook but not on the board or they don't come so much than facebook.
You can also make some news like the patches or post videos, fanarts, etc...

Possibly give some crowns or another item for the followers maybe even if it isn't a priority.

Make some events for "artists". You can pay (with crowns of item) creation (good creation, not useless thing) of people like video, fanarts, etc...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM

That is an excellent idea it also hits a large number of people.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM

GooberLord has a default reputation

SEO techniques can also be done for free by webmasters, if you know some tricks. There are lots of guides out there if you or your associates wish to investigate them. Having bloggers blog about it, Facebook dealies, guild funky stuff all help too. In the end the SEO has to be backed up with great content, so keep working at improving the game as always.

P.S. In the longer future, making the game mechanics as a whole more customizable and variable (units, cities, maps, etc.) will be paramount to Dawn of Fantasy's success in my opinion, but that's for another thread.