Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Unit Limit - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Orc Sect:
Goblin

MurdaMunkey has a default reputation

hahaha i personally think it would be awesome to see two giant hordes meet in a field and just charge at each-other
Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Kaiserjoe has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elielikesnow@hotmail.com View Post
I always say the more the merrier especially for games like Dawn of Fantasy, Age of Empires, etc., I always found AoE more appealing than Warcraft and Starcraft simply because you can select more units at once.
Agreed, it's one of the many reasons i love the Total War series. With all those thousands of troops at your command, feels like you actually have an army and not a little group.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dracus has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjoe View Post
Agreed, it's one of the many reasons i love the Total War series. With all those thousands of troops at your command, feels like you actually have an army and not a little group.
Problem with that mentality or paradigm is you end up mostly worrying about economy and then just Zerging with no REAL strategy since you have soo many troops that micro manage just becomes meh. I think we can all see that SC2 manages to pull off epic battles with not as insane unit caps. However, I do believe this game should have higher then SC2, but still leave room for micro manage and actual player skill to determine the outcome of a fight.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM

acepilot23 has a default reputation

A cap of around 1000 seems decent;maybe it could be expanded for certain scenarios or pvp matches?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Kaos90 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acepilot23 View Post
A cap of around 1000 seems decent;maybe it could be expanded for certain scenarios or pvp matches?
I think it was mentioned that it will be expanded in some scenarios
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Orc Sect:
Slayer

Neutral884nz has a default reputation

I assume 1000 wont actually mean 1000 troops, So maybe a squad of 15 soldiers might use up 60 cap like in BFME2. I would be surprised if 1 pop cap equals 1 soldier
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM

DorianLuthis has a default reputation

900x2=1800 Meaning a Min of 1800 per battle if scaled to the limit. I would say that's not to bad at all and that's is just two players.

My concern is the lagging. I live in South Africa and I would like to know where the servers of Dawn of Fantasy are. That can be a bit of a problem for me... :/
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

hocus has a default reputation

Am really looking forward to some epic battles but I too have concerns about lag, have seen some potentially great games over time fail due to connestion issues, server problems ect ect ect ect. Ravonous hordes of orcs rampaging across the screen is gonna be awesome
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 PM

Tolbby has a default reputation

The game supposedly is made to support 1000 units battles. As for a unit limit, the only limit is probably however much you can support. I don't know how food is going to work in this game though, that will just have to wait!

As for their video's, I could see at least a few hundred units at one in parts. Most of the time hey seemed to be zoomed in, or even possibly recording with a low resolution.

The game can probrably handle all those units cause the models details were low. I'm going into game design, and I've learned how to study specs of a game.
1) The units animations were low and definitely limited. (still looks nice)
2) The model detail was low. Some of their game footage showed how detailed the models were, and there were many solid points in those models heads. This should be OK since you're not zoomed in studying every unit during the game, so they should look fine from a distance.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Developer - Lua Coding

Brian Shingles is on a good road to success

Ok, bear in mind we're still in beta and things are subject to change, but since a lot of people are interested in this topic I thought it best to give some answers.

We've switched from an individual unit popcap to a battalion based popcap.

Armies are currently limited to 60 battalions with up to 5 armies roaming the world map.

Battalions vary in size depending on race and unit type with the smallest battalion being about 10 units (e.g. Peasants) and the biggest 30 units (e.g. Goblin Raiders). Large but individual units like Siege Equipment, Horse Carts and Ogres take 1 battalion slot.

So, you could have an army made up of Ogres and only have 60 units or you could have an army of Goblins and have 1800 units.

Some PvE quests limit the number of battalions you can send to help with keeping them balanced and to fit in with the storyline.

Home city population is based on the number of Houses/Residences/Huts you have and will most likely be capped at the same amount of battalions they can be attacked with to make PvP attacks on home cities fair.

To give an example of the size of battles, I played Singleplayer->Castle Defence as the small Orc city of Pultak with 45 battalions plus my King:
2 battalions of 24 Berserkers = 48
6 battalions of 24 Slayers = 144
4 battalions of 24 Impalers = 96
4 battalions of 30 Goblin Raiders = 120
6 battalions of 24 Marauders = 144
5 battalions of 15 Beast Riding Slayers = 75
5 battalions of 24 Labourers = 120
3 battalions of 15 Wargs = 45
5 battalions of 30 Goblin Prowlers = 150
5 individual Ogres = 5
1 King = 1

Total = 948 units

My enemy was a smallish army of Men and I chose to face only one attacker instead of two although I did face two waves. Each wave consisted of:
5 Siege Rams
6 Siege Towers
6 Trebuchets
3 battalions of 20 Archers = 60
3 battalions of 20 Macemen = 60
2 battalions of 15 Cavaliers = 30
4 battalions of 20 Swordsmen = 80
2 battalions of 20 Crossbowmen = 40
2 battalions of 20 Halberdiers = 40

Total = 327 units per wave

I also had a small number of re-inforcements arrive mid battle - 5 battalions of 10 Beast Riding Impalers - and I was able to gather resources to buy more battalions and place wall defenses (e.g. wall-mounted Catapults).

You will be able to fight much bigger battles than this