Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Windowed Mode - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Technical Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM

Imwiththatguy has a default reputation
Default Windowed Mode

Im unsure if this has been asked in the past im guessing it has, The windowed mode on steam i have been unable to launch at all ive tried the usual -w and most other options.

Just wondering if this will recieve a definite fix or addition into the game itself?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 PM
DoF Moderator - Tech Support

Jester0311 is just above average reputation

http://steamcommunity.com/app/227180...5672455538205/

you can ignore the resolution lines as i dont think they will apply to you as you havent stated any issues with it. Just change the value from 0 to 1 in windowmode bool
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Altariel has a default reputation

It did not work for me.

My desktop is usually at 1920 x 1200 (with a 25-inch monitor).

After editing the "WindowMode type" line from 0 to 1, I edited the resolution value with notepad down to 1600 x 900. Instead, I got a very small "lower (fullscreen)" pseudo-window, stuck in the upper-left corner of my big desktop. I cannot estimate its resolution, but it occupied somewhat less than 10% of my screen, much lower than a 1600 x 900 window (which I successfully use in other games). And even though the game's special cursor appeared when I moved the mouse in that small "window", clicking there had no effect : I had to exit the game by using the Windows Task Manager.

By the way, if I only change the first value ("WindowMode type") from 0 to 1 and leave the second value (resolution) at 1920 x 1200, as you suggest, I still get the same size of small rectangular window (in the upper-left corner of the monitor's screen) !?

I might as well stick with the 1920 x 1200 fullscreen mode, which I can easily minimize with the alt-tab command. I cannot minimize the game when I select the windowed mode, when launching the game from Steam (without any notepad editing) !?

But I would like to have a 1600 x 900 window that "should free up some real estate on [my] screen". Can't you guys offer a normal windowed mode, with borders (and the possibility of moving the window around on the desktop) ?

That is how I can play Shogun 2 and Might and Magic Heroes VI , for example : in easily moved and minimized 1600 x 900 windows on a 1920 x 1200 desktop.

Last edited by Altariel : 04-13-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
DoF Moderator - Tech Support

Jester0311 is just above average reputation

I cant find anything for frames or even anchors. Until there are placeholders for them programmed into the game i cant offer anything else, sorry mate.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Altariel has a default reputation

Thank you very much for the precise technical reply, dear tech-support jester ( ).

You also took the time and trouble to answer on the Steam forum. Allow me to reproduce here my reply to your post (from my dad's Steam account) :

" Since it is so, Jester (thanks for your technical reply), why was such a pseudo-windowed mode offered in a patch, a few days after the Steam release ?

When I launch the game from Steam, I initially get the option of playing the game in fullscreen or windowed mode. In my case, on a 25-inch monitor with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200, the "fullscreen windowed mode" apparently produces nothing different than the fullscreen mode, except in one single respect, which happens to be a disadvantage :

In fullscreen mode, I can easily minimize the game with the alt-tab command and then easily restore it by clicking on its taskbar icon. In the new pseudo-windowed mode, the alt-tab command does not minimize the game. There is perhaps a way to minimize it, but I do not know it.

What a strange "windowed" mode : it leaves me stuck with a full game-screen with which I can do nothing special that would qualify it as being a "window" ! "

I do not wish to harass you very busy tech-support wizards (a promotion from "jester" ) with the windowed-mode issue, since you guys cannot do anything about it, but if you happen to think about it, please pass around to the proper authorities my perplexed complaint about the "fake" windowed mode I am currently being offered.

Last edited by Altariel : 04-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 AM

BIG BOSS has a default reputation

it's same for me if i choise Windowed in config menu the game is launch in full screen.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

The game does launch in full screen, however it`s really running in a windowed mode - for example you can work with other applications, and mouse to the bottom of the screen should show the windows bar (if you have auto-slide one). There was no point in making it run in a very small window - as it`s impossible to play like that.