Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Remove non-Consentual PvP - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Mark1e has a default reputation
Default Remove non-Consentual PvP

Dear developers,

I've bought your game on Steam. Had some fun building a kingdom and thought about buying some crowns with real money, but then I got attacked by a player that had army way stronger than mine.

After he squashed me and put my town to flames everything is (still) regenerating, but my army is gone, just as my desire to play this game.

Most people have no fun at all being squashed by maniacs that optimize for PvP. If you hope to win a larger customer base you should enable online play, with AN OPTION to take part in PvP, but not enforce PvP action on players.

Also your GUI is pretty clunky and what bothers me most of all: it's sluggish. I got a pretty decent rig, so I guess your code is the cause of slow motion.

For all new players: don't purchase Dawn of Fantasy, the game is not finished and non-consentual PvP will kill your fun pretty soon.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Developer - Lua Coding

Brian Shingles is on a good road to success

There is the option to Pay Off any attacker with resources when they attack or get Attack Protection from the Market.

You also get attack protection after paying out or engaging in pvp, so you could attack someone and then be safe for a while after battle.

New players are safe from attack until they build up their walls or reach a certain stage in the quest storyline (around the time you attack an AI player town)

We are re-balancing PvP strength ranges so armies are more evenly matched.

We've also asked for feedback on our UI so that we can improve it.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Game Balance Designer, QA

vicious666 has a default reputation

tbh why you wanna play online if you wanna play it like off line?

on line means with other humans, and they chose to attack it when they want not when you accomodate it.

learn to play
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 PM

bandor has a default reputation

The game tries to match people whos armies are similar in brute strength. Sometimes that means your army will destroy, be equal to, or be annihilated by the enemy depending on their types of troops. You can always "pay off" an enemy to skip pvp, its a very minor cost.

Also you get crowns for losing PvP. crown = 4,000g or $. I don't care if I lose. I'll lose all day long so long as it gets me crowns. With them you can get upgrades, resources, ect.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Location: Somewhere between the Westcoast of the USA and the Eastcost of Japan
Sunleader has good reputation

Putting it Bluntly.
Refused.

If you dont wish for PvP either Buy Protection or Pay Off the Attackers.
Theres enough Options to prevent PvP.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM

Bowinkle has a default reputation

I enjoy the PvP and just like the Senerio Designer said above you could always pay off and its not that much.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Duke Hasor has a default reputation
Default Buy a different game.

This is an MMORTS. If you don't like the PVP, go play Stronghold or AoE.

Simple. As. That.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM

lichlord9333 has a default reputation

i just paid up 436 gold as pay-off i kinda lolled at the price you just pay 1/5 of ur assets away so yeah i guess in a way you can just send resources off to mining camps or whatever.... and pay nearly nothing for it you get a warning in advance before they attack the big X appears from where they will arrive

altough in the lines i do would like a singleplayer mode of building up ur little estate n all of that like multiplayer mode

Last edited by lichlord9333 : 04-07-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Altariel has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichlord9333 View Post
would like a singleplayer mode of building up ur little estate n all of that like multiplayer mode
Agree.

I am a builder, not a warrior. The only reason I play that game is the awesome aesthetic beauty of the Elven civilization (especially in the forest).

During the first week after the Steam release, I have started with the Elves 6 times. In the very first game, I was so enchanted by the beauty of Bolfores'l that I purchased $10-worth of crowns with the grateful spirit of thanking the artistic designers of the exquisite Elves. I was attacked 24 hours after having purchased the game on Steam, and the attack got stuck on the loading screen, so I had to restart the program. When I came back in, the attacker had disappeared, I had lost nothing, but there was that stressful counter informing me that I had about 20 minutes left before my protection expired. As a first-time newbie, I was so stressed by the situation, I deleted my very first city in order to start a new one.

I respectfully do not mind if most players indulge into PvP warfighting, especially since the game is explicitly advertised as "Kingdom Wars", with emphasis on siege battles. But I find it too bad when clueless new players are assaulted so soon.

In my third game, I was attacked even earlier than the first time around. My "provocative mistake" was the production of many rangers, emerging from four tree dwellings. The enemy's army looked awesome and I panicked : my city quickly became a massive mess of friendly and enemy units. I won! Not because of any military talent, but because my awesome-looking enemy got caught in the chaotic, congested mess near the flaming town center and its peripheral vine defense, while my numerous archers were automatically raining down arrows into the massive blob, without any direct intervention on my part. I won without doing anything else than watching in fear and hiring more rangers in the four tree dwellings. Despite the fact that I had "won", I left the game in disgust, harassed by that counter which gave me only 20 minutes before becoming vulnerable again : not a lot of time to recuperate after a massive assault and a paralyzed economy.

Playing the Elves is such a beautiful aesthetic experience, for a civ builder : it is too bad that the designers' artistic vision is somewhat tarnished by the mess and stress of premature PvP (especially for clueless new players).

I totally agree with the above-quoted poster. As it is now, there is no single-player option allowing to enjoy building and managing a civ. If I want to experience the beauty of an Elven region, I have to expose myself to being attacked during the first 24 hours, and maybe being attacked again and again when the very short 30-minute protection counters run out. [Update : version 1.4.9 has extended the protection period to 60 minutes.]

As a young woman and as a civ builder, I lack warfighting machismo and tactical skill. I end my long post by suggesting to the developers that they try to attract female gamers by toning down the stressful PvP and by offering avatars and main heroes more suitable for female players.

P.S. A few hours after originally composing this post, I found out that the very recent 1.4.9 patch has somewhat helped to "tone down" PvP :

Quote:
- PvP attack protection is now 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes
- Made PvP only match armies within 10% of strength value, used to be 30% before

Last edited by Altariel : 04-07-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Cynwulf has a default reputation

The problem is that that 60 minutes runs down while your fighting against an attacker after trying the pvp this evening 45 minutes ran off the clock as the attacker of my castle avoided it just burnt down some farmsteads and peasant hovels outside my walls. And i was defeated no less which made no sense since all my troops and my gates were still up my keep safe my lord safe most my peasants safe. I think a few got gobbled up by my opponents huge black dragon which was very mobile and regenerated hp rapidly.