Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Lore - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about
Default Lore

Maybe this thing is obvious maybe not, but every good game needs to have good lore/story of their own.

If there is non (just "epic" battles, pointless killing without a cause are boring (for being the best of the best doesnt count here =), and most ppl will know they cant be the best for x reason like me- so this become no reason for them)) ... soon or later you get used to them and you ask yourself why are you doing this or that, whats the point of doing those quests to help/save/gain ppl, to raid someone who will get back in some days anyway and things like that...., but if there is lore (i will take here warcraft which has the strongest lore i have ever seen) the playing get its point.

For example if you play humans you want to revenge the death of Uther or fall of Lordaeron or you can think you are its survivor, or order of silver knight, scarlet crusade who want to get back all plagued lands and so on. This gives the game the new movement and if you like roleplaying and stuff.

My point here is if DoF will have strong lore like warcraft it will gain lots and lots more ppl, like me at warcrft i play world of warcraft from its very start ...i loved pre TBC because the lore .... TBC came out completely destroyed old lore, i said ok i still have paladin and try to go on and on hoping for better days... and now there is WOTLK and i quit, ask why ? because lore was even more destroyed (unbeatable arthas is now together with lich king -should be stronger and he gets owned by "heroes and others" like a pie or Lordaeron is still in forsaken hands, hord in dalaran???.....). My point is WOTLK and TBC had no lore and in my opinion they lost many ppl because of that (there are other comercial reasons why they still have or even more ppl)

The reason i made this thread is because i didnt get the feeling that there is any strong lore (in my opinion the game lose 40-50-60% of my interests if that), that there isnt any character/king that you like them so much you would die for them or any superevil and with lots of background (like at arthas story). There isnt much info out so my fear can be pointless who knows =). And my suggestion is to make strong lore which keeps ppl playing game and giving them the POINT.

edit: typos

Last edited by Kire : 05-23-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

It sounds like it will have lore and a great storyline.
You can read a little about the plot on the main site (http://dawnoffantasy.com/), but DoF's storyline should be a treat. It was written by Gordon Farrell. Outside of the gaming industry, Gordon has written plays and other literature and has taught narrative classes at New York University. I played a couple maps he uploaded to Age of Kings Heaven, and even then, his writing was beautiful.

And each region and race has its own lore, which has briefly been discussed here and there. I'm sure the heroes of each race will have a story of their own as well. I don't if it will be able to rival Lord of the Rings or anything, but it will be addressed.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

Yes i read that plot from there and that is one reason that i worry =) (the story seems to be just something scratchy/used from outside and empty on inside) but as i said i dont know all and how will it evolve.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It sounds like it will have lore and a great storyline.
You can read a little about the plot on the main site (http://dawnoffantasy.com/), but DoF's storyline should be a treat. It was written by Gordon Farrell. Outside of the gaming industry, Gordon has written plays and other literature and has taught narrative classes at New York University. I played a couple maps he uploaded to Age of Kings Heaven, and even then, his writing was beautiful.
Didn't know that, nice.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 AM

hkien has a default reputation

why don't we add something like Shattered Galaxy!?
There're 3 races in SGalaxy, each race occupies many "pieces of land".
Day by day, 3 races fight each other to rob other one's pieces...
Any Player can start a fight in a piece and other can join in but there's limit in the number of players
...players can earn some benefit in those battles.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

Mrdash is someone to trust

But thats the point, this isn't Shattered Galaxy. It's Dawn of Fantasy. It's its own game. Not to be made like other games.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

OrcSlayer has a default reputation

How many Farrels are authors? there is John farrel, gordan farrel and I'm sure there is others
I hope the plot is in depth and there is somthing live the civ4 civilopedia, In the Fall from heaven mod I speand pure ages reading through it
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Elite Member

Bdw will be some more income lore info in new website? Tho i am really curious what made rases to kill each other, orc vs human vs elf is kinda logic but why elf vs elf and orc vs orc and human vs human =P i would really just love to know what happened that they hate each other now too.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Bdw will be some more income lore info in new website? Tho i am really curious what made rases to kill each other, orc vs human vs elf is kinda logic but why elf vs elf and orc vs orc and human vs human =P i would really just love to know what happened that they hate each other now too.
These are all long stories which will be told in MMORTS quest-mode.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Asatru has a default reputation

Ah good a other thing to look forward to ^^