Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

LiTos456's Videos Thread - Page 16 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

I respect what you mean about linear style games. Since I have been in my Game design program for about 2 1/2 years now I have been looking at games differently.

I believe that that an open world game can get a linear storyline experience, but you get an add element of playing through and have a diferent experience everytime. Thats why we play games because they are different then movies, by letting you make choices. I am one that loves games with geat storylines, but I like a game that lets you explore(by explore I don't mean a short hallway to the left).

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I know what you guys mean about linear games. I remember a LucasArts game way back [Win98] - Jedi Knight [or Dark Forces II] and its sequel Mysteries of the Sith [Dark Forces III]. I got so good at those FPS games that I could play them with the monitor off. I mastered them so thoroughly that I could play them in bed with a keyboard and nothing else. Needless to say, They got quite boring after a year or two [I like DRAINING my games - I don't waste a single cent I spend on games], though I still play them every once in a while for nostolgia - my memory of some levels is getting a little fuzzy.

Still, I hate open-world games that are too vague, or unspecific. With those, I end up wasting hours upon hours wandering around because the goals are too abstract for me to know where to go or what to do. Still, I have enjoyed some Open-world games. I guess the key is with the develepor. Linear games can be a lot of fun if the develepor is good and designs a huge expansive story tree. [many different possible beginnings, many different possible ends].
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
I know what you guys mean about linear games. I remember a LucasArts game way back [Win98] - Jedi Knight [or Dark Forces II] and its sequel Mysteries of the Sith [Dark Forces III]. I got so good at those FPS games that I could play them with the monitor off. I mastered them so thoroughly that I could play them in bed with a keyboard and nothing else. Needless to say, They got quite boring after a year or two [I like DRAINING my games - I don't waste a single cent I spend on games], though I still play them every once in a while for nostolgia - my memory of some levels is getting a little fuzzy.

Still, I hate open-world games that are too vague, or unspecific. With those, I end up wasting hours upon hours wandering around because the goals are too abstract for me to know where to go or what to do. Still, I have enjoyed some Open-world games. I guess the key is with the develepor. Linear games can be a lot of fun if the develepor is good and designs a huge expansive story tree. [many different possible beginnings, many different possible ends].
You are right. When most developers make open world games they don't focus on the story its self(thats why they seem to suffer in that aspect and why we are debating this). They seem to focus on the open world and side quests/exploration things that you can do. Its on the developer to focus you.

Linear game depend on scripted events which would translate well into a non-linear game.

Thats why I believe metro 2033 would be great open world game. If you ask most people if they would want to just explore the metro station they would want to. I do see why Litos would disagree, but a developer could use metro 2033's cramped environment to an advantage of catering to linear story and open world.

Sorry for distracting from the thread Litos456. Hope you don't hate me.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Np, well the thing is if Metro was made open world they probably would end up like all other devs not focusing on the story.
Another reason why linear games naturally focus more is because well, there's NOTHING ELSE besides the story in the game, haha. There's no escape from it not for a second.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

So how linear do you want it? That uncharted 2? I mean the multiplayer was beyond anything i have on ps3 (stormrise can almost reach tough) Anyways that game was like you following a single path through the entire game, the only problem was finding what you had to do. There was ALWAYS one path, the same with terminator salvation. I mean all they focus on is that you do exactly the same thing every time you play through. Although it is quite fun playing through once, but after that it gets incredibly boring, i don't even want to try finding new stuff inside it since it gets so incredibly boring. However for instance oblivion, by the time i was done with it i had explored everything there was to explore. I had killed every villager once and looted them for all they had. I had filled one of my houses with equipment just laying on the floor, well pretty much everything was explored. Then i got shattered islands and knights thingie and i cruised through them too. Then when there was nothing left i started modding for new stuff Then one day i found out that the mods were no good so i started creating my own, tough it was never released but it was kinda fun anyways. Then i formated the computer and i began playing something else.

The problems with the games of this age is stuff like closed worlds and only one way to go. The only thing you really can change in the game is how you approach the enemy, are you going behind the left cover or the right cover? Are you going to just charge in or stay back? Are you going to hurl a grenade now or stay down? Are you going to shoot your shotgun at the charging enemy or are you going to melee him? There is never the question about; do you want to walk away from the enemy? Do you want to go around the enemy? Do you want to do something else and come back later? You know linear games are fun with that story but once you know it there is nothing left to it. It is just another movie you are watching while controlling your character, especially a movie you have seen hundreds of times before...

Anyways my point of view is that if it got walkable walls it is fine
If it got open world it is good
If it is not wow then its great
If you set a + between all those then it is BEYOND awesome. (however just two of them makes it a great game.)

So i never bother buying any more of those linear games when i can have countless more hours playing better games with open worlds...

It is up to you if you prefer linear games of course i love em if i only borrow them from a friend but if i am to buy it i would rather look at open worlds or strategy games...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 PM

I present to you my newest original video - what I call the "product of my imagination" - ArmA 2 - Flight of Thunder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0goAEzS4I

Read the youtube descrption to find out more what I mean by that.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
I present to you my newest original video - what I call the "product of my imagination" - ArmA 2 - Flight of Thunder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0goAEzS4I

Read the youtube descrption to find out more what I mean by that.
Oh my god. That was incredible.

That was one of the, if not THE best user made trailers i've ever seen. Major kudos to you mate.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Haha, thanks for the nice comment mate. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Great video. I think your metro 2033 is the best.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 PM

well theres still quite a difference, you see the metro one is just a fan trailer with pre made trailers, this is an original recording straight out of my imagination.