Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Anti-aliasing? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neotyguy40 has a default reputation
Default Anti-aliasing?

Hey, I saw some of the screenshots in the media section. I was surprised at what I saw. Yet I noticed the models had some jagged edges. Will there be anti-aliasing in the game? At least x2? It seems it would do the graphics much good on how it looks.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure there will be.
Wow, I've been looking for how to word this for a while now. How could I forget about anti aliasing... Yes, that's what always bothers me on some of the screens.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Currently Anti-aliasing isn't implemented. Due to time constraints this may not make it into the release, though we surely hope to include it. The problem lies with the conflict between HDR which we already use and anti-aliasing as the two technologies can be difficult to get working in tandem. However, you can turn off HDR and force your Videocard to do anti-aliasing through your driver software on most modern cards.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Gigz has a default reputation

I run a geforce gtx 8800 will I be able to use both antiliasing and HDR with the control panel right ? ^^
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Very disappointing. Of course I understand, but it's something that should be done first.
GTX 260 here... anything possible?
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neotyguy40 has a default reputation

Also, may I ask what is the current average fps you get on the game with your development computers? I would like to at least have 30 fps at minimum, and anti-aliasing takes up alot of GPU power...
Old 05-10-2009, 06:31 PM

The_Biz has a default reputation

something's weird

normal games don't look so jagged without AA turned on, but it seems to particularly affect DOF
Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Biz View Post
something's weird

normal games don't look so jagged without AA turned on, but it seems to particularly affect DOF
A lot of the units in game have quite a low polygon count compared to a lot of other games, this is because the level of detail required for a unit at our normal viewing distance is quite low (90% of all the screenshots we show are from odd zoomed in angles) so this is why you'll notice sharper edges, because your viewing the models from a distance you would not normally be using in game. However Hero units do have a much higher polygon count than average units so you will notice this less on those units.

Low polygon count also allows us to have a such a large population amount. If you look at the screenshots Konstantin posted in the Media forum for May 1st week you'll notice a current popcap limit of 4200 (Note: that number is still a work in progress) that is a lot of units to have onscreen at once because you have to think that you could be playing with say 4 people, so you would have to support up to 16,000 units on screen at once that's a lot for a GPU to process.

We also incorporate both Bloom and HDR (High Dynamic Range) post processing effects, these already take substantial amounts of the GPU's processing power, so AA would add a significant requirement in hardware.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 View Post
Also, may I ask what is the current average fps you get on the game with your development computers? I would like to at least have 30 fps at minimum, and anti-aliasing takes up alot of GPU power...
Fps depends on the map and how much your looking at, currently for me average from map to map i'd say maybe 80-100 fps

Geforce 9600 GT 512 mb, 675 mhz core
AMD 6000+ duel core 3.0 ghz
2 gb ddr2 ram.

(Wiki Alert)
To my knowledge, which isn't that great when it comes to anti-aliasing is that a game can either have anti-aliasing or HDR / Bloom / MIP Images / Normal Maps, and having all 5 is either impossible, very hard or useless.
When we adjust and tweak HDR and our MIP Images along with Normal Maps, the outcome might make it just as good as anti-aliasing.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM

The_Biz has a default reputation

most strategy games have limited FPS because of the processor bottleneck.