Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Religion? and Specialization ? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Orc Sect:
Goblin

The Last Defender has a default reputation

I also do not favor the religion aspect being implemented in the game. For it to be purposeful the relgion would have to open a new tech tree and/or new spells, which I don't feel would fit DoF. Your region and unit leveling should be enough to differentiate you from other players of the same race
Old 05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

This was an old post I posted in the what factions would you like to see thread.

Quote:
Currently we don't have a divine magic style, and I think going forward into DoF 2, it will be something we'll add. Clerics, Paladins, Shamans and Monks are all really huge Fantasy classes that we currently don't employ, so it's definitely something we will be thinking about for the next DoF installment
A lot of time when you add religion to a game it can make a lot of people apprehensive to it. You have people who are very religious in their life and they find the role of playing someone who worships another deity it can make them uncomfortable or make them shun the game entirely. You also have the anti-theist type people who despise religion and wont play it due to those facts. You also have to understand that designing games is a business, we aren't going to make changes that are going to alienate a huge chunk of players because that's a lot of money out of ours and the publisher's pocket. So you have to think of ways to add in a new experience without alienating groups of people. What you do instead of having a very in-depth religious system is you remove the Gods from the actual story and game play and just explain them with your character history and allow that to let you include the really cool classes religion provides.

Look at Paladins in Diablo or WoW, do you get a lot of story on the God they follow and the impression that it's all drab and church-going? No you get the fun part that they are knights with kick ass spells that can devastate enemies. Clerics with the ability to be a very effective melee unit as well as a healer and minor offensive caster are often one of the most powerful RPG classes. Shamans provide a really cool take on the religion base and allow for another side of the coin from your traditional deity-based religion as well as keep the game without firm religious ties. Monks the original martial artists can be tons of fun without the religious connotations.

I think going onward with DoF as a franchise we may be able to include other classic fantasy elements as well from both fiction and RPGs such as Bards, Alchemists, Necromancers, Templars, Assassins and so on to really add to the rich fantasy world we are creating.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Quote:
A lot of time when you add religion to a game it can make a lot of people apprehensive to it. You have people who are very religious in their life and they find the role of playing someone who worships another deity it can make them uncomfortable or make them shun the game entirely. You also have the anti-theist type people who despise religion and wont play it due to those facts. You also have to understand that designing games is a business, we aren't going to make changes that are going to alienate a huge chunk of players because that's a lot of money out of ours and the publisher's pocket. So you have to think of ways to add in a new experience without alienating groups of people. What you do instead of having a very in-depth religious system is you remove the Gods from the actual story and game play and just explain them with your character history and allow that to let you include the really cool classes religion provides.
Plus the apatheists among us will forget about the whole religion/magic system, and thus be at a disadvantage
Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny View Post
I think going onward with DoF as a franchise we may be able to include other classic fantasy elements as well from both fiction and RPGs such as Bards, Alchemists, Necromancers, Templars, Assassins and so on to really add to the rich fantasy world we are creating.
You serious? XD thats awesome necromancers hmm that would turn the tide of battle a bit XD
Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Paladins should be faction on their own (or followers of the light and paladin is just one kind of soldier) just like in wow is scarlet crusade/scarlet onslaught =), well at least i would like to see that cuz atm i am not impressed by human ingame faction and would be bad if they/paladins stick to them.

As for religion, i like idea there is no "god" worshiping because i dont like worship or some kind of believes i dont believe in them or when there is someone more powerful than me ... read:god =P. Well one posibility is also to make "the founder of the city"-you the player, is god/protector like in ancient Greece each city had their own god or at their colonisation the founder of the new city became later its some kind of god - so that ingame ppl worship/have belief into you =P. Well the good idea is also the belief in some kind of supernatural force as religion (like paladins and light, or nature as elf).

Last edited by Kire : 05-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

OrcSlayer has a default reputation

If the undead are realesed in an expansion will their mages be necromancers?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 AM

Gigz has a default reputation

well forget religion what about army that focus on certain units , i know they level and gain stats and stuff but will that go to the extend as to make players excels at something, im not talking leveling ur archers will make them better but that a level 10 archer from x player are better from archers of Y players ^^ and so on so forth ^^
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Nah... ...
Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Gigz has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
Nah... ...
why? just teasing you ^^

this gonna be a mmo so I would hate to see everyone being the same , I mean beside factions what else can make use more differences , unless when u level there some kind of skill tree similar to an rpg were u have to choose between something , because if not every unit will end up being the same, and im not sure how many units will be out there but just dont wanna feel every human every elve and every orc faction player is the clone of the other only difference is level and how the player play
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM

hasdrubal has a default reputation

i think that is an ace idea