Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

This game won't appeal to me. - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Konstantin Fomenko's Avatar
Konstantin Fomenko Konstantin Fomenko is offline
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation
Default

I can`t think of a single MMORPG out-there in which your character can die while your away. The concept just doesn`t make sense to me. But if someone really insists, perhaps they`d be able to file a petition online and have one of world moderators destroy their town while they sleep.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Darvin's Avatar
Darvin Darvin is offline
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 666
Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice
Default

I think there needs to be a fair balance between the two views. A world where your character or kingdom can be killed or destroyed permeanently while you're away simply wouldn't be fun. On the other hand, I do feel that the player and his assets shouldn't be in a complete stasis for the duration. There needs to be a consistant interaction with the world, things always changing and developing.

I feel that MMO's really need to deal with this issue to move forward and produce a dynamic world that still flows while you're away, without being unfair.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
www.RTSCommunity.com
----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 AM
The Witch King of Angmar's Avatar
The Witch King of Angmar The Witch King of Angmar is offline
Reverie Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minas Morgul, Middle-Earth
Posts: 1,809
The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
I think there needs to be a fair balance between the two views. A world where your character or kingdom can be killed or destroyed permeanently while you're away simply wouldn't be fun. On the other hand, I do feel that the player and his assets shouldn't be in a complete stasis for the duration. There needs to be a consistant interaction with the world, things always changing and developing.

I feel that MMO's really need to deal with this issue to move forward and produce a dynamic world that still flows while you're away, without being unfair.
Good point. That way you feel defeat but are still alive.
__________________
"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey..."

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Ryan Zelazny's Avatar
Ryan Zelazny Ryan Zelazny is offline
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 352
Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
I think there needs to be a fair balance between the two views. A world where your character or kingdom can be killed or destroyed permeanently while you're away simply wouldn't be fun. On the other hand, I do feel that the player and his assets shouldn't be in a complete stasis for the duration. There needs to be a consistant interaction with the world, things always changing and developing.

I feel that MMO's really need to deal with this issue to move forward and produce a dynamic world that still flows while you're away, without being unfair.
A problem with creating a game that penilizes you for not being online is the fact that you have to encourage people to log off. If you've ever played WoW or GuildWars, they actually tell you to log off and take a break after about 2 hours.

MMO play can be quite addicting, and so you have to give people advantages for logging off, if it be higher healing rates, or extra experience depending on how long they've been logged off. Not sure if this is a moral concern by developers, or an actual requirement, but it's something we are looking into.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Darvin's Avatar
Darvin Darvin is offline
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 666
Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice
Default

When did I say there should be penalties for logging off? I merely said the world should continue to interact with the player. Believe me when I say I know the problem with games where you have to stay logged on to be successful. I was recently play-testing a multiplayer web-game that was in a sense a MMO. It turned out that wars were won by the aggressor 100% of the time, because first strike was always decisive.

Anyways, I think the "real" MMO that captures an immersive world perfectly without impacting those who are logged off is possible. It's just a matter of figuring out how to do it right.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
www.RTSCommunity.com
----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 AM
The Witch King of Angmar's Avatar
The Witch King of Angmar The Witch King of Angmar is offline
Reverie Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minas Morgul, Middle-Earth
Posts: 1,809
The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
When did I say there should be penalties for logging off? I merely said the world should continue to interact with the player. Believe me when I say I know the problem with games where you have to stay logged on to be successful. I was recently play-testing a multiplayer web-game that was in a sense a MMO. It turned out that wars were won by the aggressor 100% of the time, because first strike was always decisive.

Anyways, I think the "real" MMO that captures an immersive world perfectly without impacting those who are logged off is possible. It's just a matter of figuring out how to do it right.
Yeah agreed. I see nothing wrong with video game addictions.
__________________
"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey..."

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Darvin's Avatar
Darvin Darvin is offline
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 666
Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice
Default

Well, I do think he's right in that the game shouldn't make people feel like they have to come back to it, even at the cost of their own personal lives. An addiction at that level is dangerous, or at very least unhealthy.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
www.RTSCommunity.com
----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
The Witch King of Angmar's Avatar
The Witch King of Angmar The Witch King of Angmar is offline
Reverie Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minas Morgul, Middle-Earth
Posts: 1,809
The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
Well, I do think he's right in that the game shouldn't make people feel like they have to come back to it, even at the cost of their own personal lives. An addiction at that level is dangerous, or at very least unhealthy.
Are you guys saying then that my stuff could be destroyed while I'm away or something? And Darvin, I didn't mean that addicted. Lol.
__________________
"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey..."

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 PM
WhiteHawk WhiteHawk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 19
WhiteHawk has a default reputation
Default

Well, there is a game that has a system that works like this, according to their website:

"The World
Strategically, a given world is divided into a 200 x 150 grid map. Each grid represents a single province (assuming it’s land).

Provinces that are not surrounded by friendly territory can become contested at a rate of up to 25% of the player’s total territory per day. For example, if a player’s territory is a single long line of 9 territories, then any 2 of them can become contested per day. However, if that same player’s society is shaped in a 3 x 3 grid, the center most province cannot become contested because it is surrounded by friendly territories.

Moreover, players can also join up with other players to form empires. Territories controlled by someone in the same empire are counted as friendly territories.

If someone attacks one of your provinces while you are not on-line, someone from your empire can take control of your forces (players can also set which members of the empire have this privilege or can set a certain imperial points threshold) to defend your province. If they are successful, they can win imperial points which help them gain standing in the empire and provide other bonuses. If no one is available to defend your society while you’re off-line, the computer AI will be quite effective at doing it.

Border provinces can be fortified with expeditionary forces and defensive structures so that they are more defensible during the player’s absence."


I will not say what game this is because I am not sure if I am allowed, since it could be considered advertising.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
The Witch King of Angmar's Avatar
The Witch King of Angmar The Witch King of Angmar is offline
Reverie Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minas Morgul, Middle-Earth
Posts: 1,809
The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
Well, there is a game that has a system that works like this, according to their website:

"The World
Strategically, a given world is divided into a 200 x 150 grid map. Each grid represents a single province (assuming it’s land).

Provinces that are not surrounded by friendly territory can become contested at a rate of up to 25% of the player’s total territory per day. For example, if a player’s territory is a single long line of 9 territories, then any 2 of them can become contested per day. However, if that same player’s society is shaped in a 3 x 3 grid, the center most province cannot become contested because it is surrounded by friendly territories.

Moreover, players can also join up with other players to form empires. Territories controlled by someone in the same empire are counted as friendly territories.

If someone attacks one of your provinces while you are not on-line, someone from your empire can take control of your forces (players can also set which members of the empire have this privilege or can set a certain imperial points threshold) to defend your province. If they are successful, they can win imperial points which help them gain standing in the empire and provide other bonuses. If no one is available to defend your society while you’re off-line, the computer AI will be quite effective at doing it.

Border provinces can be fortified with expeditionary forces and defensive structures so that they are more defensible during the player’s absence."


I will not say what game this is because I am not sure if I am allowed, since it could be considered advertising.
I like the whole empire forming thing. I still think it is unfair though because what if all your mates are noobs? Then you would be screwed.
__________________
"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey..."

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 AM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Kingdom Wars and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.