Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Be a mercenary! - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Nimlot has a default reputation
Default Be a mercenary!

In another thread the use of mercenaries was discussed, and as i already posted there; why not take it a step further and offer yourself and your army (maybe a small, limited army) as mercenary and let people hire you to help take down a fortress?

Would this be fair in regards to current game mechanics?
Would you like to be a mercenary, with your only loyalty being that to gold?
Is it a good suggestion?

Anyway since the other thread was about mercenary troops for hire i thought this deserved its own thread.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

If you have to take down a fortress you might need a big army. Also I dont see why anyone would want to hire someone else. First of all, if they actually do have enough money to hire someone why dont they just attack themselves with their own money. If they have the money to hire an army, im sure theyll have the money to pay for their casaulties. Also, it would make them look bad in front of the enemy.
I wish there was some kind of an assassin feature though... Although there's noone to assassinate. Wait, maybe heroes? Although it depends on how hard it is to make them.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Elite Member

Grizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputation

I could see how this works, for instance you might hire mercenaries if you only have a small portion of your army attacking because they are at the other side of the world map. Would also allow for a unique gameplay where players can focus on fighting than building up. Of course the mercenaries would need some home base though to train new units and actually allow the player to play in MMORTS mode.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
If you have to take down a fortress you might need a big army. Also I dont see why anyone would want to hire someone else. First of all, if they actually do have enough money to hire someone why dont they just attack themselves with their own money. If they have the money to hire an army, im sure theyll have the money to pay for their casaulties. Also, it would make them look bad in front of the enemy.
I wish there was some kind of an assassin feature though... Although there's noone to assassinate. Wait, maybe heroes? Although it depends on how hard it is to make them.
It takes time and effort to build up an army and more time to get it skilled, also i dont doubt that many people will not find waging war easy, paying a merc to do so may change the tide of battle, and also it would increase the odds if you too were to attack also, 2 armies vs 1?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

We plan to have transfer of resources between players, so this is definitely possible.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

What is best about this is after they pay you to kill someone else, you ignore that and betray your hirers and kill them all,,, loot the dead!

Sorry, the Orc race has gotten the best of me, I'm starting to think and talk Orcish.

Urr Terredd gellem drell gellemakk!
(English Traslation- YES! KILL KILL ALL ENEMY, FORWARD FASTER FOR ENEMY BLOOD!)

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Kell Aset has a default reputation

Nooo, a good mercenary is the one that sticks with a contract, good opinion is very important, no new jobs without it. Am I right? of course I am hehe
Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I'd love a couple of missions which are covert regicide. A couple of guys sneaking round a castle at night, avoiding patrols and torches. You could make them about average strength, so there is an emphasis on stealth, and hits/shots to the back are (almost) instant kills, if they haven't detected you. I believe that's do-able using LUA.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

In another thread the use of mercenaries was discussed, and as i already posted there; why not take it a step further and offer yourself and your army (maybe a small, limited army) as mercenary and let people hire you to help take down a fortress?

This is exactly our goal with alliance between players.

To be more specific alliance system works not between player but entities, lets look at alliance between player 1s army (mercenary), and Player 2s city (contractor).

For example, Player 1 makes alliance for his Army # 2, to defend player 2s Homecity in Rollingplain region.

Under this alliance, if player 2s homecity is attacked, if Player 1 is online, and his army is not already engaged and he/she chooses to honour the alliance, his/her army would arrive in the middle of the siege to relieve Player 2.

Also, for this allance to hold true following terms will apply:
-player 1s army will not be able to leave Rollingplain
region.
-Player 1s army can not be garrisoned in his homecity or for a period of 30 minutes have fewer than 400 units.

When this alliance is created, player 2 will pay Player 1 a certain sum of money, as a regular tribute or a one time payment, or offer his army in assistance.

This alliance would have a duration in real-time days - lets say 5 days. Breaking alliance obligations comes with a penalty.

We want to encourage alliances as much as possible - and player`s homecity should have good dozen of allied armies in the region from various players - to make sure that once the battle starts someone would be there to bail you out.

Now some unconfirmed stuff which we hope to include:
-We hope to include a sort of alliance market - where mercenaries and contractors would put their bids.

-We are hoping to implement Regional guilds of mercenaries, for example 30 mercenary players create a guild, and homecity owners in Rollingplain region would recruit their services - this way they only need to make 1 deal, instead of 30.

-Have a Ebay sort of honour system for each player, so if player breaks his alliance alot, and often doesn`t fight PvP when chalaenged, he`ll be John Doe the Unreliable Coward, or other way around John Joe the Trustworthy Warmonger
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, this inspires me. Thanks for the info Konstantin!
Now I'm thinking of an epic battle where you fight and you are waiting for your ally to come but then they get stuck and you're all WHERE ARE YOU!! And at the last moment they come and you win and everyone is happy
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.