Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Giving Players Ability to create player made Quests - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Novakiller has good reputation
Default Giving Players Ability to create player made Quests

Not even sure if you can already do this in the editor or not, the editor just looked like a simple but complicated map editor as apposed to much else. If its not already in there (because i couldn't make head or tails on how to use 90% of it), dooes anyone think that giving us the ability to create and design our own quests to share with eachother would be something that people would enjoy, but think its a good idea? I'd love to play someones quest they just made, of course some balancing would be in there, like no wealth rewards or anything like that, just for fun really, just for something else to do in the world? we could have quests that make you travel to multiple places around the world, like, basicly, making our own story if you like, where we have to go rescue a captured princess from a band of orcs who have kidnapped her or something who are being controlled by some crazy ass wizzard? lol
Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Yeah I would love to do this, "ulio" anyone? Seriously, I started one for my first screenshot entry about a tribe of dwarves who migrated south of the desert orcs.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neinth is someone to look uptoNeinth is someone to look upto

The editor supports quest scripting,so yeah can share the quests by making the map,adding the quest script,then sharing the dofscn file.

That person then opens the dofscn inside the editor,then clicks play,will start dof.exe,and be playable

The hardest part is learning the scripting I think,but the little I learned was rather easy,and quite fun.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

I would love to see some kind of walkthrough on how to do that because i would love to create my own quests for other people to get their fingers into, but the way your suggestion is sounds like what i thought, its more of a scenario rather then individual quests, I DO HATE to use others games as an example, but for this it might be appropriate, with star trek online you can create your own space/ground missions and anyone in game can play them via a simple-to-use and simple-to-see user interface, and it was something like that i was thinking about. So when you create a quest via the editor, it can be seen in-game by anyone whose logged in, it'd get saved under your own user name on the server, as apposed to saving files, uploading files, linking on forums and doing a lot of stuff to actually get it, because im sure only about half of our player base right looks on the forums ect.. for the time being anyway...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Anouther words your thinking along the lines of STO's Forge.

Which is a great idea,cept right now I dont think the player base has enough people willing to do it.

But the dofscn files are so small,attaching them here,and playing them,then createing a "buzz" on live server about it,would prolly work.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

would probably work yeah, im just thinking of something that'll give people easy access to this stuff so yeah i suppose i am thinking along the lines of STO's forge a bit. I haven't messed with the DOF editor that much though, so i dont know how big those files can get... Perhaps some already made scripts, or auto scripting of some kind could make making our own quests a lot easier also, but i do think the editor as we have right now, is all preset stuff, so like you play someones quest/map but you already have an army there to play with, as apposed to using the ones you have in online kingdoms, if you know what i mean? which isn't want my idea is.

Last edited by Novakiller : 02-07-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

As "stand-alone" quests yeah they will be limitied to preset armies,though i believe you could incorparate them into the single game mode without alot of issue

As for online mode,would use spawn points instead of preset units,so someone could bring their army,I dont think this would be hard,as its prebuilt into the editor,and game already.

I figured,could prolly make the spawn area's a requirement of the script,provide a simple base code you would have to add to it,that would automatically incorpate alot of the games features and the spawning already.(wich sort of already exists)

Adding a way to upload your map to the server wouldnt be hard,the files are rather small,and adding a repository that can be accessed ingame to download scripts,save it in a directory,and some extra game options to load it,or tell the online game you wanted to play such and such quest,wouldnt be hugely difficult.

I think the first idea i posted about making some quests,with the presets for now,posting them here,is the best way to show the dev's the community is interested in player-made content,in a scale that would be benificial to them to add this sort of thing sooner rather than later.

I would also suggest starting up a thread in the Scenario and design,with intent on gathering info on how to script,how to debug your script and ect ect,as the available info on thats currently rather scarce.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Developer - Lua Coding

Brian Shingles is on a good road to success

Adding quests into the quest system is a little complicated, so we probably won't automate adding in player quests.

Having said that, if a player creates a great scenario and gives us their permission we might add it into the Online Kingdom quest system ourselves or include it in an update so it downloads into the Scenarios folder.

If anyone needs help coding scenarios they should check out this guide or feel free to ask questions and we will try to help out as much as we can.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Brain I think a list of commands would be nice.

Like the walkto,runto attack type,or how to teleport an object that cant move on its own,or trigger an fx based on whatever happening,and turning it off based on whatever

basically,for now,instead of teaching us how to script,tell us what all can be done,and have the players form the how-to's

I;d also love to know if the engine can support other types of models/meshes animations than the format used in the game right now,if so,whats the "best" format,so we can add our own stuff to the game,without having to buy 3dsmax(yeah,cant afford all that),but like building a dwarf city using current wall sets,doesnt look right,and trying to use the bricks,while better,takes forever to build a wall that way.

If we can however add our own models,textures,and stuff,we could create a folder,have the script reference the folder for the correct object.