Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Lost my Green Dragon? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Technical Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Does it seem to always crash at a point in the game when your doing something, or is it completely random?

Maybe post your driver details and running programs that run in the background while you play.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM

ian1246 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Does it seem to always crash at a point in the game when your doing something, or is it completely random?

Maybe post your driver details and running programs that run in the background while you play.
It seems to be when I select something to do something which I haven't previously done.

I.e. it just crashed again when I told a army to attack a enemy stronghold.

It crashed earlier when I expanded my village to a town plot etc... etc...

When I m doing something I ve done previously... generally it seems to be ok.

My driver is the 295.51 beta Nvidia driver - since the previous Nvidia drivers are generally pretty unstable anyway (at least the more modern one's have tried to sort out some of the issues).
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

I'm totally guessing here, but it sounds like it may be something wrong with your ram.

Can you give me as much details as possible about your ram, its brand name, is it overclocked, etc, I know you have a i5 2500k (i have the same btw) and have a Gigabyte Z68A-D3. ( i got a asus p8 z68)

After a quick google search, here a interesting page. http://www.pcextreme.net/news/your-ram-check-it/

I will quote this part:"One last tip

Another thing to try would be to test one stick of RAM at a time. and test the stick(s) in each DIMM slot to rule out the possibility of a faulty slot, while also providing you with an opportunity to verify you’re using the correct slots for dual-channel operation."

Now if it was my pc, I would do that exactly, I would open it up, take out one stick and put only 1 stick in the A1 slot and test the game, see if it crashes, then test the other stick in same slot then do the same test with the b1 slot, if it crashes only on one of the sticks then there is your problem right there, one of the ram sticks could very well be at fault or if it crashes only in one ram slot then your motherboard's ram slot is slightly faulty.

This is just my opinion, I'm not telling you what to do with your pc especially if you are not very good with hardware.

Dof for me has never crashed unless it was something inside the actaul game developing it that caused a fatal error, which is none of what you mention. So this has to be either driver related, software related(doubtful), or hardware related. And from what you told me about unit selection and wall upgrades, those things instantly dump around 120 kbs or more into the ram to create data tables which lead me to think it is your ram at fault. But again I'm not a super computer tech, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 02-06-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I'm totally guessing here, but it sounds like it may be something wrong with your ram.

Can you give me as much details as possible about your ram, its brand name, is it overclocked, etc, I know you have a i5 2500k (i have the same btw) and have a Gigabyte Z68A-D3. ( i got a asus p8 z68)

After a quick google search, here a interesting page. http://www.pcextreme.net/news/your-ram-check-it/

I will quote this part:"One last tip

Another thing to try would be to test one stick of RAM at a time. and test the stick(s) in each DIMM slot to rule out the possibility of a faulty slot, while also providing you with an opportunity to verify you’re using the correct slots for dual-channel operation."

Now if it was my pc, I would do that exactly, I would open it up, take out one stick and put only 1 stick in the A1 slot and test the game, see if it crashes, then test the other stick in same slot then do the same test with the b1 slot, if it crashes only on one of the sticks then there is your problem right there, one of the ram sticks could very well be at fault or if it crashes only in one ram slot then your motherboard's ram slot is slightly faulty.

This is just my opinion, I'm not telling you what to do with your pc especially if you are not very good with hardware.

Dof for me has never crashed unless it was something inside the actaul game developing it that caused a fatal error, which is none of what you mention. So this has to be either driver related, software related(doubtful), or hardware related. And from what you told me about unit selection and wall upgrades, those things instantly dump around 120 kbs or more into the ram to create data tables which lead me to think it is your ram at fault. But again I'm not a super computer tech, correct me if I'm wrong.
Hey Buddy.

Thanks for the info.

I ve actually ran memtest 86 several times to rule out faulty Ram - no errors were found. I ll move the Ram into different slots tomorrow though to rule out motherboard issues.

################################################## #

On another note: I just loggedinto Dawn of Fantasy: And my Royal Dragon + 1 unit of Knights is now nowhere to be seen?

I d moved them into my main army before heading off for a cup of tea (& logging off)... logged back on & noticed my army is down by 1 Knight & 1 Royal Dragon (Level 8)....

It sucks

Is the game experiencing bugs of things going missing?

Edit:

Info: XMS 3 Corsair 1333mhz 2 x 4gb

http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-pro...m2a1333c9.html

Ram isn't overclocked as far as I m aware (though if I go into BIOS its set to "Turbo". So I m gonna change it to standard & see if that improves).

On a side note... would the slots matter?

Since the Ram chips currently sit in:

Slot 1: Empty
Slot 2: Ram Chip
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: Ram Chip

I.e. should it be together in pairs I.e. Slots 1 & 2? Or would it not matter?

Last edited by ian1246 : 02-06-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM

not in patch 1.1.9..... , missing issues and cloning issues are still happening to people who use the army garrison button. Dont use it. Going to pm you something, check ur pms.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1246 View Post
Info: XMS 3 Corsair 1333mhz 2 x 4gb

http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-pro...m2a1333c9.html

Ram isn't overclocked as far as I m aware (though if I go into BIOS its set to "Turbo". So I m gonna change it to standard & see if that improves).

On a side note... would the slots matter?

Since the Ram chips currently sit in:

Slot 1: Empty
Slot 2: Ram Chip
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: Ram Chip

I.e. should it be together in pairs I.e. Slots 1 & 2? Or would it not matter?

I think ur rams fine,,, you can try slot 1 and 3, read your motherboard manual for proper ram installation, some channel setups are 1&2, 3&4 and some are 1&3,2&4.

I'd look next towards a list of programs that run in the background, anti virus, anti spyware, and what ever else, all of it. then try turning it all off and see if game is more stable, if it is then turn half of those programs on again and check again, repeat and narrow it down to the program that is conflicting. or im not sure what else to do, you can try other drivers for your video card.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 02-06-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I think ur rams fine,,, you can try slot 1 and 3, read your motherboard manual for proper ram installation, some channel setups are 1&2, 3&4 and some are 1&3,2&4.

I'd look next towards a list of programs that run in the background, anti virus, anti spyware, and what ever else, all of it. then try turning it all off and see if game is more stable, if it is then turn half of those programs on again and check again, repeat and narrow it down to the program that is conflicting. or im not sure what else to do, you can try other drivers for your video card.
I ll try running a clean boot with just window applications on my pc & work from there to rule out any background applications.

I ve also just checked my kapersky anti-virus firewall... Dawn of Fantasy was on the "Low restricted" list... so i ve moved it to trusted.

Fingers crossed that might have been the issue.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Setting it to trusted on Kapersky didn't help.... it crashed again.

HOWEVER this time the event viewer was different.

Faulting application start time: 0x01cce53bee7a2cd9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Reverie World Studios\Dawn Of Fantasy\Dof.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll
Report Id: db93d746-5130-11e1-90d1-50e5493aea4f

Ordinarily its:

Faulting application start time: 0x01cce5343d32a011
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Reverie World Studios\Dawn Of Fantasy\Dof.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Reverie World Studios\Dawn Of Fantasy\Mithrill.dll
Report Id: d185759a-5127-11e1-9364-50e5493aea4f

&

Faulting application start time: 0x01cce532a1cd7bd4
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Reverie World Studios\Dawn Of Fantasy\Mithrill.dll
Report Id: 6d5dbc8d-5127-11e1-9364-50e5493aea4f

etc... etc....

#################################################

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dl confirms my original theory: Its the damn Nvidia display drivers.

Ever since the 270.XX drivers Nvidia card users have been experiencing varying problems with games crashing to the desktop
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM

yes it is defiantly now your drivers fault. My suspicion of ram as to why it crashed also involves new models being added to the map and new animations being played. The game is still directx 9c, so maybe try updating all of your directx including a directx9c? if thats possible in windows 7?

I have a suggestion for you to try:

Try running in XP compatibility mode on Dof.exe and DoFUpdater.exe in the main directory.

otherwise, you will just have to jump around gpu drivers until one works properly.

Also a word of advice, when it comes to hardware, stay 8 months behind, just like dof in that developers need time to work out the kinks. I'm gona buy a 480gtx in a month or 2, I got a geforce 9600gt atm HA

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 02-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM

neestas has a default reputation

Quote:
Also a word of advice, when it comes to hardware, stay 8 months behind, just like dof in that developers need time to work out the kinks. I'm gona buy a 480gtx in a month or 2, I got a geforce 9600gt atm HA
Actually game strugles with GTX480 for some odd reason. Anywhere starting from medium settings gfx card load goes to 100 and you pretty much are forced to downgrade if you don't want to burn the card (temp climbs to 90+ degrees celsius within couple mins with fans @90%.

Even on absolutely lowest settings (keeping native 1920x1080, obviously) it still loads card between 65-80% which forces you to keep fans @80+% if you don't want to burn it.

I've tried rolling back drivers - no change.
Yes, case is recently cleaned so not dust issue. 480s are known to be heat monsters, but so far I've ran all other games perfectly well - TW: shogun 2, the witcher 2, deus ex, skyrim, bf3 etc - all of these I was able to play no problem with high to ultra settings... Seems to me you guys need to work a little bit on Nvidia support

Does game run fine on your 9600gt? Since that was my old card as well. Admitedly I haven't checked DX9c... Will try updating it and see if it helps any. Will update shortly.

P.S. Sorry if I hijack, but really enjoying the game and at the same time kinda paranoyed it'll burn my PC down...

Last edited by neestas : 02-07-2012 at 11:18 AM.