Massive Slow-Downs - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Novakiller has good reputation
Default Massive Slow-Downs

Just wondering if anyone else is getitng massive slow downs while in combat? Dont think i've got a massive army or anything, take into an instance, then runs fine and smooth but the second i have ANYTHING highlighted/selected my performance comes to a damn crawl!!! first time its happened to me, didn't know if this was usual with armys that are the full 60 population cap or if its more to do with internet lag or what.

Phenom II X3 @ 3.0Ghz tripple core
Asus Mobo AM2+
4GB RAM
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
21" LED monitor
GTX 260 running in 1920X1080 res. Would run it in a lesser screen res if the game had windowed mode.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

what mhz does your ram have? and do you know its stick layout, do you have 2, 3 or 4 ram sticks?
use windows 7 search on start bar and search for "Change the size of virtual memory" and follow its direction and tell me what it is currently set too.

This is not a problem with your video card or res, and will most likely get fixed with the new pathfinding system underway. However i suspect a better ram configuration might improve your system unless you come back and tell me you have 2 sticks of 1600 mhz ram.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 02-02-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

ok my total paging file size for all drives it has it listed as 4095MB, for its all on default for everything, when i uncheck the automatic manage page file size it just shows for my drive as system managed, nothing but the Mhz configuration of my RAM, but i am able to find it through other ways, Its DDR2 800 dual channel, VIA CPU-Z it tells me my mem is currently at 466mhz which is due to the overclocking of the cpu from a 2.6ghz to 3.01ghz, oh and i have 2 sticks of 2GB.

Last edited by Novakiller : 02-03-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

466mhz is very low and slow, you should consult your cpu manual and motherboard manual and find the max mhz ram you can have, you said DDR2 800 dual channel, that tells me the max is 800 mhz but I may be wrong there.

In my books ram's Mhz is the speed at which ram transfers data to and from your cpu and hdd, I would recommend you upgrading to the highest mhz ram and that your running windows 7 I'd fill your duel channel with 4x2gb 800 mhz for total of 8gb at 800mhz, should run the game much much much better and games down the road, that 466mhz will kill your gaming down the road as your memory will greatly cap the abilities of your CPU and GPU.

I had a AM2 amd duel core 3.0ghz cpu with geforce 9600gt 512 mb video card with 3 gbs of ram, 2 sticks where 667 mhz the other was some Korean 1 gb at 333 something mhz this uneven mixed up ram cause all the sticks to run at 333mhz and holy crap, lag spikes on and off as it dumped ram from one stick to another and all that crap. was horrible, not only in dof but in other games like large scale battles in mount and blade. Anyways I rebuilt my pc and to my surprise the geforce 9600 gt performs 300% better than it did before because of the cpu motherboard and ram being upgraded so much. So really I think your video card and cpu currently are INSANELY limited due to your current ram.

I rebuilt my old pc with windows 7 64 bit, upgraded the ram to 4gb ddr2 800 mhz and the pc performs very well, although it has a smaller video card now (due to psu being only 350w)
I'm 95% sure your pc would run games 2 times better if your ram was improved to the board's limit, not in size but in mhz. if it can support ddr2 1066 mhz ram, frikken buy 2x4gb, yeah your pc would rip dof apart even on larges scale battle, we would have to co-op play sieging dagbor dude, i take one side you take other side! 2x60 size armies facing off against Dagbors massive army.

This is just my opinion though.

my new specs.
i5 2500k 3.8 ghz quad core
geforce 9600gt 512mb
2x4gb 1600 mhz ram.
intel p8z68 motherboard, supports upto 32 gbs of 2200mhz ram.
seagate 500 gb hhd.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 02-03-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neinth is someone to look uptoNeinth is someone to look upto

Nova,while a bit annoying,you can lower the games resolution by lowering your desktops,better than nothing and should help with speed
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

thanks a lot for the replies guys, very very helpfull indeed and appreciate the help and the time taken to properly answer for my issues, im actually quietly glad it has nothing to do with the game hear say, that its just basically My personal end coz i have multiple machines so its not a huge deal if it runs slower on this machine, i was more curious if anyone else had this issue, and it appears not. As for the mem Mhz's i basicly had to reduce the clock speed in over to get an overclock on the CPU from 2.6ghz to a 3.01ghz speed, i haven't had any issues running any other games smoothly even the likes of battlefield 3 run great lol, but its something i will consider for sure, i'll load up the wifes machines as she has 8GB of DDR3 1600mhz see if that makes a difference, probalby should have done that already, but i was just really seeing if anyone else had the issue before i went into further testing mode lol...