Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Age of Empires Online - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Weavel has a default reputation
Default Age of Empires Online

Age of Empires Online is a Robot Entertainment developed RTS game with a persistent-online capital city. Not much has been revealed to the public about this game, other than the Online feature and the "Ancient Era" setting. Closed Beta testers(of which I am one) have been asked to ask around and gather public opinion on the title. I figured this would be a good place to ask, considering people here have probably played at least one "Age of" title, and because DoF is an MMORTS.

Age of Empires Online
Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Its teletubies under cover of great game title. This crap does not deserve to have that name and does not relate by anything to AoE to be called so. Its original name is Age of Teletubies Online. And i hate the manipulation of devs or whoever is in charge thinking because of the name more ppl will play it.... In the end its just one more sucky travian (like stronghold online). <-here is my opinion

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Hehe. I hope to get into the beta.. but yeah it's hard to see how they're continuing the great traditions of age of ... games. We'll see. Age 3 wasn't as good as age 2...and had horrific balance problems throughout online play.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Hmmm, AoE:O online is not a browser based game, but instead it is a downloadable game in what you build your village what has nothing to do with the game-play and battle on coop missions like in reghular age of empires building in the mission you're base and so on. Oh yes, it has pvp to but his is the same as you remember from regular age of empires multiplayer games.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

I was very interested... until I saw their trailer... It does look like AoE for kids...

They stylised what shouldnt have been stylised, I would play with AoE1 graphics more than I would them...
It just seems to me they want to mock the franchise... I cant believe they are reducing such a good franchise to this...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

I guess business is business and they want to capture more people to play. Now that they have a lot of age games, it is time to make one free for kids and families with micro-payment as they have nothing to loose but to win more money for a next age project.

Btw, I personally like the cartoonish style and would even like, later, to have a cartoonish patch even for DoF, of course not affecting the gameplay just the look of the game. I like cartoons.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Yeah I agree with you szebus, I like the are style for the game. Now the gameplay, well I'm not a fan of. They do have the traditional base building, but that only happens on quests. You home city really is just used for tech tree upgrades, items and quests.

I for one am tired of constant base building in games (starcraft, AOE, and most other rts games). Every new map you do you have to make a new base. I like having one persistant base that makes units at and sends them out to do quests(or missions for singleplayer). Thats why I'm a fan of the blitzkreig series, you don't make any bases, you get a fixed amount of units to use and a limited amount of reserves to call in. The persistant homecity is actually the main reason I like DOF.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 12-27-2010, 03:20 PM

Weavel has a default reputation

I think the homecity could be more involved, it's more customizable than in AoE3, but it lost some functionality as well. The art-design doesn't bother me at all, it seems more like AoM to me this way.

Gameplay wise, out on quests and such, it plays more like AoK with a few AoM/AoE3 improvements. It certainly feels more refined. And it's not gonna be subscription based so that's a plus.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Bamboocha has a default reputation

i'm in the beta.. but never got it to work....
Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

Oh and don't forget that AoE:O is restricted to only for some countries, at least the beta is. What I really like from what is seen on the videos over the net, is the graphics, nice and playful and don't need a well equipped pc to run the game, if i'm correct and they did it with the AoE3 upgraded engine, then it will still work on notebooks and the will bring them enough players of all kind. What I don't like, is the concept of the game. How Henry Martin said "I for one am tired of constant base building in games (starcraft, AOE, and most other rts games). Every new map you do you have to make a new base. I like having one persistant base that makes units at and sends them out to do quests(or missions for singleplayer)."

P.S. It's a hidden wish of mine to play DoF on my desktop Pc with it's actual graphics but for the same DoF to have a secondary client with the cartoonish graphics of AoE:O for I can play it on my netbook to :P. I know they are not gaming platforms but are so comfortable to use them everywhere.

Last edited by szebus : 01-20-2011 at 12:14 PM.