Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Voice chat - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Kauu has a default reputation

Teamspeak 3 is perfect for RTS games. I have a dedicated server with a consistent group of RTS's playing SupCom 2, StarCraft 2, and the like. I'll definitely be using it in some form for DoF.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM

DarkLord7854 has a default reputation

I'm inclined to lean towards having voice chat. Makes for much easier and faster communication during crucial battle sequences
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

akyko has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
Voice chat isn't as necessary in RTS games because control is discrete and not continuous. I don't need to hold down the forward key to keep a unit moving, I just need to give it an order to move. As a result, there is almost always an opening to quickly type a message with little ramification.
Does this mean that combat is going to be slower then Starcraft where you need a high APM and good macro and micro to succecced? If so how much slower do you think it willl be? Also what are you considering the average a person can type per min?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Kashindo has a default reputation

I think there are more important things to work on. Even if you have never been on a ts server you can "learn" it quick how to get on it. In addition there are Games wich have a voicechat but the players don't use it because they have their ts or ventrillo, so it would be wasted time to develop it.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM

furanlost has a default reputation

If they do a voice chat for the game, then I hope it is done right and not a half done voip. For example Battlefield Bad Company 2, great game, not so great voip. in game voice chat would be nice but as other have pointed out not neccessary with other voice chat programs like team speak 3 or ventrilo. The thing is, and I'm saying this from how my guild operates, it is easier to just chat with ingame voice with someone new/ someone not in your guild than typing they should get ventrilo if they don't have it and have them only use it a few times because there were personality conflicts that were yet undiscovered at that point in time.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Oaktotem has a default reputation

I am in favor of having a lightweight vc in the game. The minimum requirements for this game are pretty low and I don't think a vc would add to much overhead. That being said the other option would just be to download ventrillo. WoW has a voice client and nobody used it. They all went to ventrillo or teamspeak or mumble anyways.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM

aftershockzap has fair reputation

WoW took far too long to impliment a voice client really so by that time people were already used to using Vent/TS2.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM

Shadowhand has a default reputation

Voice chat is always handy as its faster than typing 99% of the time :P
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Desthin has a default reputation

I've never really been much of a talker with voice chat stuff, ill join a channel on vent or TS when i play a game, but ill just sit in the channel and listen, then respond in text.

I get the bonus of 50% faster reactions from others, and i get to work on my typing which is SUPER important.

In either case, i think that if people really want to use a voice chat system, they should go out of their way to figure one out that other people use, not everything in life can be handed to you on a silver platter
Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Loose Morals has a default reputation
Default waste

in game voice chat is a waste of time in my opinion, vent and TS are great for this sort of thing. ive played some games like lotro where the ingame chat just isnt up to scratch and people ended up using thier own voice comms anyway.

for those who worry about folks not having the computer savvy to join a ts/vent server consider this as a kind of vetting proscess. if people cant follow simple step by step instructions on how to join 1 of these servers, are they really the kind of people you want on your team?