Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Congratulations to Reverie! - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Chris has good reputation
Wink Congratulations to Reverie!

I am impressed, you actually got it published and released! Imagine my surprise to see it for sale in Finland while I was visiting my girlfriend. It was right there, on the shelf, a game among games. I didn't play part in majority of its creation, but I felt an immense sense of nostalgia.

This took, almost literally, forever. I am so glad to see some of you still around, like Konstantin and Ryan.

For those of you who have no idea who I am, back in the very beginning of this project I was mainly working as an art guy here. We were all kids, most of us having come from Age of Kings scenario development community, having a dream to create a game of our own. So it went from creating a 2D medieval game to 3D medieval game to 3D fantasy game in two years time.

Life took me apart from the project, but I am glad to see it finally done.

I haven't bought it yet myself, but I see that there's hope in the form of new content and patches and I might jump on the boat once that happens and the kinks are ironed out. One way or another, I will look forward to future titles of Reverie, I always knew you guys had immense amount of talent and for the first bird hatched, it is a promising one.

For those of you wishing a glimpse into the very past, here's an interview from almost nine years ago (and you can see by screenshots how far Reverie has come) http://dgdn.net/dgdn.php?id=3&cat=fe...interview_ID=1
Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 AM

I also managed to find the very beginning of this project right here. It has few references to what the project is today, but there you can see how the things got moving in the very, very beginning
Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

I joined RWS long after you, but welcome back and thanks for the kind words!

And yup, Kon and Ryan are still around, as is John. You may want to check out our time capsule to see how the game progressed from your day to the present day.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 PM

That Time Capsule is really nice, I did not know it existed! It's great to see the 3D artwork I originally made (it's the whole 2003 period there). We had more 2D pictures back in the day, but most of it is gone now I believe. I remember Micah Hymer collecting them at some point though.

I dug up some pictures from my old hard drive that I used to work on. Here's the original map of Mythador:
Map of Mythador

And some promotional screenshots (the bloom effect was added in post, the engine did not support it back in the day):
Promotional Screenshot 1
Promotional Screenshot 2
Promotional Screenshot 3
Promotional Screenshot 4
Promotional Screenshot 5
Promotional Screenshot 6
Promotional Screenshot 7
Promotional Screenshot 8
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

That is a cool looking map and the picks are good. Someday folks can pay 65$ to see these in the complete edition
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Hey Kristo!

Yeah - after all these years... It`s a great feeling to see DoF in stores, finally arrived to EBGames here in Canada. And welcome to the community!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

Hi, and welcome back! No, I don't remember you; but after reading the original ideas on the AoK Heaven forums...I wish I did! To think you guys came up with all of this 10 years ago (okay, not all, but still); and whoever it was who came up with the name "Reverie," I have to say that it's the perfect name (now that I looked it up! ).

Looking at the map is cool too...to see all the completely different lands and randomly stumble upon "Denwall" and "Dagbor" was seriously surprising.

I always loved this game and I always thought the company was great, but I never realized that you guys seriously were nothing but a couple of old gamers who got together on a forum; which explains why this company, unlike just about every other one, actually care about what the players think: because at heart, you still are players.

Must be amazing for you guys to finally realese a game you've been working on (most of the time as something you doubted would ever amount to anything) for ten years. Pretty awesome.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Novakiller has good reputation

Glad to see you have returned chris. Thx for the images as well, especially the original old map of the mythador as well, bloody awesome It really is a truely an amazing feat to see where DOF came from and see where it is today, truely remarkable and should be very proud of what has been achieved here, and whats to come, as this thing has only just started!! this game could truely redefine the genre into a new kind of RTS game, not just as an MMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
posted 11-07-01 07:17 PM EST (US)
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...786&f=,,,&st=0
10 years later...

That is the most powerful and meaningful post I have ever seen, not for its content but its legend.

Anyways, we are fair from done, there is a lot to fix and improve on.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 11-15-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamwalker View Post
... and whoever it was who came up with the name "Reverie," I have to say that it's the perfect name (now that I looked it up! ) ...
That was Micah Hymer, who used to lead this project back in the day (the same guy who is tribal_warrior in that forum thread).

Quote:
Looking at the map is cool too...to see all the completely different lands and randomly stumble upon "Denwall" and "Dagbor" was seriously surprising. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novakiller View Post
Glad to see you have returned chris. Thx for the images as well, especially the original old map of the mythador as well, bloody awesome
Thanks and yeah, there were names we threw around back in the day. Dagbor was always point of focus for us and it was the first place we knew would have to be there. I created the map to sort-of conform with what we had in place about mythology back in the day as a place that has a lot of story potential (especially due to logistics, the mountain chains played a huge part in that).

But the entire map was re-made later on after I had left the project behind, which suits the games needs better.

Quote:
... but I never realized that you guys seriously were nothing but a couple of old gamers who got together on a forum; which explains why this company, unlike just about every other one, actually care about what the players think: because at heart, you still are players. ...
We were a couple of young gamers, to be more accurate about it! I was barely 17 back when we started.

Quote:
... Must be amazing for you guys to finally realese a game you've been working on (most of the time as something you doubted would ever amount to anything) for ten years. Pretty awesome.
It is awesome. I loved working with the group in those early days and I love seeing it live, even though I played miniscule part in that.