Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

The future of the game and bug fixing! - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM

lightsbladeuk has a default reputation
Default The future of the game and bug fixing!

Hey,

Just thought i'd drop by and say hi, I should be getting this game in a month or so when finances allow (just been made redundant) and I'm just here to ask a few questions really!

First of all, I've noticed that there have been many patches since release, mainly because the game was released with a fairly extensive list of bugs. How is it progressing in terms of fixing the bugs and glitches, both from a development point of view and a players point of view? example: Has it become easier to play compared to a month ago?

Also, as far as developing the game further goes...what is in the pipeline for the future? Both short and long term (however I do believe that currently all focus should be on bug and glitch fixing, without a doubt)?

I will also be playing as Orcs when I do get the game btw, so it would be nice to get some tips and a little more info on them before I buy if any of you would be so kind

Thanks,

Lights.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

Hi, welcome to DOF! Here's a few answers for ya:

As for bugs, they are getting fixed all the time. Just yesterday a patch was released that fixed a particularly annoying bug that kept reseting my buildings construction time. The next big patch is coming early next week, and will add town seiges to PvP. I only got the game a week ago, and it is way easier to play now than it was then.

In the future...well, bug fixing is first, of couse, but new content will begin to be added soon. Like I said, PvP sieges are coming next week, and guilds and alliances sometime after that. After that though, it will probably be a while more of just bug fixing before they add anything else; but I heard that hero custimization is planned for sometime in December, if all goes well. And after that...who knows? There are plans for adding magic, naval combat, and eventually new races. The game will just get better and better!

As for tips on orcs...well, I only play as an elf at the moment though I gave orcs a try. Right now, the orcs are still the buggiest race, but if you're going to wait a month before buying, you should be fine.

And anyway, hope you enjoy the game! And if you're looking for a good read, check out my fan fiction stories on the forums!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Yeah I'd do a forum search if I were you on "future of dof" there's at least 1 or 2 threads outlinining the future plans/possible xpacks (dragons and dwarves?) that the devs are thinking of I love the orcs play style. Hmm victory tastes like fresh meat. Think zerg=swarm+ogres.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

We will do a sort of state of development update tomorrow, but our current focus is 100% on bug fixing/optimization and on implementing a few more features that were left out of the initial release version - all of which will be offered for free via patches. We do have some plans for DLC content, but we owe it to the fans to not shift any of our resources until both fans and devs feel that the game is ready.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

I like the sound of that. So, what, will you have a poll asking whether or not the game is ready for new content?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Nah, we'll just gauge by the discussions and number of bug reports. Keep in mind that Reverie truly cares about the game so that our work will never actually be done - we will always have a team dedicated to maintaining and supporting DOF even when other devs shift work to DLC or possible future titles.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 AM

Jorendo has a default reputation

I bought the game saterday night and been playing most of the day sunday. I have encountered a bug or three so far. One time a quest giver wouldn't start talking but that was solved by logout and log back in again. Another to my surprise was that i left my city with my hero and entire army to deal with some rebel scums...after a easy battle my forces return, ready to get funky with their wives and drink ale just to see they where mysteriously cloned and their cloned brothers sleeping with their wives while drinking their ale. Really weird bug cause i bought one trebuchete and took that one on the mission, i return and find 2 more at my estate just like all my troops where doubled or sometimes even tripled. The last bug was a short one where my hero was cloned as well. But as soon as i left my town to set out for a mission his twin brother was gone again.

I play humans though and I'm not that far in game yet so perhaps some bugs i haven't seen yet. But so far I'm pleased with the game.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Orc Sect:
Goblin

88Chaz88 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorendo View Post
One time a quest giver wouldn't start talking but that was solved by logout and log back in again.
I also bought the game yesterday and totally thought this was a bug until a little experimenting made me find out that the quest giver doesn't talk untill your hero is there to speak to him. Basically your hero represents you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 AM

lightsbladeuk has a default reputation

Hi again and thank you all so far for your replies. I really wasn't expecting as many as I got.

It sounds a lot less buggy than I initially thought to be honest. I play EVE Online currently, which always has a fair share of bugs with each new expansion and this sounds similar. Usually takes the EVE devs about a week to fix everything, but I would imagine they have a much larger development team than Reverie tbh.

Also on that note Reverie: I would certainly look at the business model CCP use for EVE. The expansions are free, but they use them to increase the player base and it has been going up steadily over the years. This could be something you could look at and adapt to the game maybe? It also seems nice when you're a player and get something for free (even though you are paying a subscription / microtransactions every month anyway).

The new developments also sound pretty awesome, looking forward to playing it now!

Lights.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM

We're all about offering an affordable and rewarding experience - which is why, from the start, we decided to have the game be subscription-free. The DLC content will be very modestly priced, but we are still giving other options to players who cannot afford it - via the spending of in-game Influence.

Adopting EVE's business model would cost players approximately $180 a year. And as soon as players stop paying the $15 monthly fee, they will lose access.

Our current business model costs players an initial charge of $30 and that will allow them to continue to play online and download patches for an unlimited time period. Small DLC packs will cost around $5 while quarterly quest packs and mini-expansions will cost between $10-$15. And, the player can pick or choose what he or she wants to play or only pay for that material. And this can be purchased with in-game resources, so players can obtain all the DLC without paying a cent after the initial fee of $30.

So the question is would you rather pay $30 for unlimited online play (+ any desired DLC not purchased with Influence) or $180/year for expiring online play?