Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

unit suggestions - Page 18 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM

TaTa456 has a default reputation

any word on unit control from my post a few hits up?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
i had a question not on unit type suggestions but unit control. i watched the in game "unofficial" trailer i believe the december version. i noticed a couple things that confused me with the grouping or batallions of units.

lately in the newer rts games (warhammer series, c&c series, bfme series and others) they started to use a new way of producing and commanding units, where when you create or recruit 1 infantry unit from a barracks or w.e the case may be, when it comes out you have a group of soldiers. and all the soldiers are formed together into a mini battalion, which takes up more population limit and groups many men together to fight as one unit.

ive noticed many, many, many flaws in doing this in other games. some being that instead of giving each its own individual fighting styles the men usually dont fight one another unless both groups of enemy units are face to face in direct contact with another. then you run into collision errors, some units not even fighting because they dont have an enemy directly in front of them, and units that seem to be fighting the air. i really hated games that started to do this and usually choose simply not to play them. they always seemed to blocky like they had no individual A.I. it was like a wall of units moving together but not fighting together.

i saw in the video at one point where it seemed that you were using the same system but others where i could point out individual units that were performing actions on their own (like in the aoe series) can you explain how controlling and producing units happens? are they produced as a single unit but then can be combined with others to form a battalion or control group or grouping several batalions of several different individual units into control groups?

if so, will battalions be more of a way to control unit movement but in battle they return to their individual A.I. and while staying in formation effectively attack units like a battalion would in real life. instead of being able to avoid contact with another gruop of enemies simply by moving away (even if there are parts of both enemy groups that are contacting the other)
Each unit in a battalion is its own unit. A battalion is literally a group of units which is selected as one when clicked and moves into a formation when moved, nothing different. We had single units for all of development until late '08 when we implemented battalions.

Battalions are good in our game because it would be impossible to manage 1000-2000 units on-screen at one time without some sort of mass unit selection and management.

And again, battalion units behave just like single units except for the way they are controlled by the player.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

Awesome! so basically when you create or recruit a unit it comes out as a single, then creating a battalion is creating a group of many (different or the same) units together. Almost like controlling a control group (ctrl+#) in most rts games, except it will be selected as a group every time you click on any unit in this newly formed battalion. Can you add, remove, disband and re-create battalions as well?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Right now you cannot add/remove/disband battalions. Also, everything is trained as a battalion.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM

well if the population limit is going to be in the 1000s, then i suppose battalions do make more sense. hopefully they arent to massive of battalions, and that they actually live up to their pop size (if a battalion is created with 20 units, the pop limit gets filled up by 20 slots) some games like bfme made a battalion oversized when it came to pop limit it used up. either way im sure you guys will make this work out great.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Forive me for not searching for it on the forum, but what about the hero ? will there be a main hero (this better be customizable one ) and some other recruitable heroes ? and is there posible to gain heroes from soldiers who are great in the battlefied ? this ofcourse 1 from 1000 soldiers.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 PM

that be a pretty cool idea, like in some games where all units on the field (heroes and normal army units alike) gain experience and/or grow in level. eventually they become hero units or champion units or just reach their highest level of experience where they can lead units around them or give minor bonuses to units around them.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Esculas the Mighty is someone to look uptoEsculas the Mighty is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTa456 View Post
that be a pretty cool idea, like in some games where all units on the field (heroes and normal army units alike) gain experience and/or grow in level. eventually they become hero units or champion units or just reach their highest level of experience where they can lead units around them or give minor bonuses to units around them.
i vote no experience limit to seperate the men ( stronger kingdoms ) form the boys (small towns)
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esculas the Mighty View Post
i vote no experience limit to seperate the men ( stronger kingdoms ) form the boys (small towns)
mercenary style is starting to look more and more enticing all the time....
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esculas the Mighty View Post
we have not set a limit yet and I don't think we will, every unit can rank up, when it does you get to choose which skills or abilities you want to increase for that unit, heroes and units alike. I personaly like ranking up the Attack of the unit, it's chance to inflect damage on their enemies, heh if the enemy keeps geting wounded and wounded, what good is defense ?

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.