Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

unit suggestions - Page 13 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Village Sock has a default reputation

I used to love Stronghold one, such great fun sieges. Stronghold 2 was good also with some nice features, such as what puppeteer said with the assasin, though I found the economic side of it to hectic and requiring too much micro management...
They messed up with Strongohld legends though.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Gentlemen,

I want to thank you for your input on the "assassin" type units, we did plan this to some extend, but your feedback made us push this through.

So far we only have Elven Sorcerer unit capable of this, but we might add a human unit which can do this as well, and perhaps Orcish spellcaster would have this capability as well.

As things go right now - all Stronghold gates, have an opening mechanism on the inside. So - Elven player can use Sorcerers invisibility ability, approach walls - plant a climbable plant to get on top of the walls. Approach the Gate opening mechanism, (gate crank) and destroy it - Sorcerer will most likely die in this process, but if he succeeds the gate will open, and cavalry can charge in. We do want to limit such wall-climbing units to elite - very expensive units.

I do want to figure out if we can have goblins climbing the walls in Masses though - it might be copyrighted by BftME
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonstantinF View Post
Gentlemen,
I do want to figure out if we can have goblins climbing the walls in Masses though - it might be copyrighted by BftME
And no one ever uses it....ever...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Well, the problem in BFME wasn't that wall climbing was useless, but rather that it was such an insignificant effort to destroy the walls that it basically offered no benefit.

As I see it, the purpose of wall climbers should be as shock troops; approach an undefended flank suddenly, scale the wall, and send the enemy forces into disarray while the main strike force tries to break through. That didn't work well in BFME2 since all battles were essentially decisive field battles. However, I suspect it could make for very interesting gameplay in DoF.

I do agree with Konstantin that there may be a copyright issue if it's too similar to BFME. I do feel that simply having goblins scurry up a wall probably wouldn't fit DoF's theme anyways. My suggestion: use a grappling hook and give it to a difference race than the orcs. This brings a considerable difference in style which should distance yourself from the BFME franchise. I also think it fits the style of DoF (particularly if you want this to be an ability of elite troops) better.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I would go for the ability ability to climb walls strictly for the Elves because of their stealth. It just seems to suit them better.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang

Last edited by The Witch King of Angmar : 02-06-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:05 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

yeah in BFME2 no used the ability they either made mass forrt. for dragons or build muaradurs
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

I don't think it would make sense for Dragons to have it, wall climb that is.

Further I agree with the idea that, the basic trooper should Not have this, it should be reserved for some kinda elite dude.

Humans seem medieval focused, kinda holding to RL combat techniques, doesn't make sense they would have it. I'd say humans would be more of the tunneling type.

Elves, I agree would be the most likely to have this. Make a unit thats some kinda stealthy elf, and one of his little tweaked abilities is to climb walls, or something like that. They could be a high damage, low armor and HP kinda unit that sneaks up the walls in a battle, kills the guards in a couple awesome blows, and flips the switch to the gatehouse.

Orcs: If you want to distance yourself from the BfME lable, then I suppose it makes sense. At the same time, it would seem to me that they would be about as likely as the elves to have a unit like this. Specifically something a bit more anorexic and destructive. Something to the effect of a explosive suicide unit that can climb walls, ontop of his ability to just pop. How this may be useful IG, I'd say would be for a wall rush: throw these guys infront, they charge in like loonies, climb the walls and explode, sending wall guards a-flying and clearing room for your ladders.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Yeah. Or I was thinking also, you could have some giant orc with a huge two handed sword climb up on the wall and hack the guards to pieces.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Elite Member

SvN is someone to look uptoSvN is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
Yeah. Or I was thinking also, you could have some giant orc with a huge two handed sword climb up on the wall and hack the guards to pieces.
thats the isengard berserker
Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvN View Post
thats the isengard berserker
Ok, he could have a bomb strapped to him and right before he dies he blows himself up.