Turtle? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

crex719 has a default reputation
Default Turtle?

Do you guys consider extreme defenses annoying? One of my favorite aspects of any RTS is building. Pretty much as soon as this game comes out I am going to make my defenses as strong as they can be. I never feel comfortable in an RTS without a powerful defense.
I know many people frown upon "turtling" but I really do not see anything wrong with it. Can beat their defenses? spend as much time as they did to build up and make a large army instead. Still can beat them? eventually your going to have to deal with it and move on.
How do you guys feel about the "turtle" strategy?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Elite Member

Esculas the Mighty is someone to look uptoEsculas the Mighty is someone to look upto

always balance it out

u wanna be skiled in both areas of the field much easier but a players playing style is his style gotta except that rather its rushing booming tower and archer spaming laming ( respect? not so much ) but mastering them all makes u a flexible player able to handle any situation something i learned on aom im not the best but i can get the pros to say gg instead of spaming laughing taunt which they do when they clean up

i think i got my point
Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I like it to mess around and build stuff but in a regular game I never do it.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

Nah, Go turtleing IMO. It's the way of the byzantium empire, and it worked pretty dang well if you ask me.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Esculas the Mighty is someone to look uptoEsculas the Mighty is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash12181987 View Post
Nah, Go turtleing IMO. It's the way of the byzantium empire, and it worked pretty dang well if you ask me.
till the turks came of course

but its also true that all u need is a really big wall and archers ( troy) if they had just omega super locked thier gate the world may look a bit different

reminds me of carthage carthage should have pwned rome but nooooo they got lucky them numidian traitors D:
Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

crex719 has a default reputation

woah woah im not saying I suck! I know the other strategies very well. I respect people that use them but the only strategy I like is turtling. I can send out a massive army if I wanted to but I feel like im not enjoying the game enough that way.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esculas the Migthy View Post
till the turks came of course

but its also true that all u need is a really big wall and archers ( troy) if they had just omega super locked thier gate the world may look a bit different

reminds me of carthage carthage should have pwned rome but nooooo they got lucky them numidian traitors D:
numidians didn't save rome the biggest reason why Rome survived was their war philosophy: nothing execpt Victory can be accepted in war
And therefore where other nations would seek peace after some defeates the Romans just came back for more till they'd win

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankein_fish View Post
numidians didn't save rome the biggest reason why Rome survived was their war philosophy: nothing execpt Victory can be accepted in war
And therefore where other nations would seek peace after some defeates the Romans just came back for more till they'd win
wow how stuborn were they lol

yea but the numidians played a role in their final battle

the 3rd punic war was stupid tho =\ the romans were afraid that carthage would use the army and navy it raised to defend itself against pirates and raiders to attack again so roman declared war again it makes sense tho with carthage out of the picture rome can just step on everyone

and carthage prob would have seeked revenge if given another 2-3 years with that army it was raiseing and hannibal would be ready for another go with a book of strategies and counter-strategies that africanus could not stop

but isn't it weird theres also 2 lone super omega powers and everyone else is allways really weak at that time so weird
Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

Er... Hannibal wouldn't have done much good by the time of the third punic war... you know, considering he'd been dead about 40ish years?

The second Punic war was Carthage's last time of greatness. But, even then, Hannibal's forces by the time he shipped off the Italian Peninsula were not capable of doing much more than pestering the romans. He had already come to the conclusion he Couldn't take Rome, which was the only thing that could have overthrown the empire, or at the very least coming close to disrupting it.

The army the Carthigian's had at the time of the third war was heavily depleted, not a significant force. But as to WHY the romans wanted to attack Carthage in the third war, it didn't have anything to do with Carthage's army... but more to do with the city itself. The city of Carthage was Always a center of trade in the Mediterranean, taking it was beneficial for the Roman empire, more beneficial than leaving the ailing Phoenician port city alive much longer.

As for the "Defection" of the nummidians... One of the Numidian tribes had always been aligned with the Romans, even in the second Punic war. Now even if the the third war, all the tribes decided it was best to attack the Carthigians.... it's kinda like vultures around a dead antelope. They saw a chance to expand their empire, so they did, it was taking Candy from a baby, a baby with a Very nice position in terms of trade routes.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Rome >>>>> Carthage
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*