Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Patch # 1.0.6 - Preview for Wednesday - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Magicus has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscuredUSA View Post
Konstantin Fomenko, there has been a lot of concern from some people about overheating issues. Some of us chatted about it in another thread, but I figured I would bring it here since you replied to this one. I personally have noticed abnormal temperatures from my graphics cards. It really does make me uncomfortable when I see my graphics card pushed to extreme temperatures. Mainly because I don't have the money to afford a new card or PC. I assumed it was because I had an older PC. Then I realized that Dawn of Fantasy is the first game that ever pushed my cards this hard. However, then I started to see other people on these forums express their concerns about this as well. I mean, maybe it could be our computer, but this is the only game that it happens with, for me at least. I've played some heavy graphical intensive videos games with this PC. Now the highest I have seen those games push my card was maybe about 70C to 75C. Which isn't too bad considering the age of my card and the fact that my cards tend to run a little hotter then normal. (8800 GT are my cards) Dawn of Fantasy pushes my cards upwards to 90C to 93C. That is cutting it way too close to the limit on my card, which I do believe to be 100C. Especially for a game that isn't the top of the line in terms of graphics.

I just wanted to hear your take on this issue. Is it something you can improve on your end? I do remember Starcraft 2 had the same problem when it first launched. Blizzard stepped up and said it was their game and they fixed it. I believe their problem was that the FPS on their game wasn't being capped. So the higher your FPS went, the hotter your card got because it was working extra hard. I do hope this is something you guys can fix and I do hope you touch on this subject soon.
70-75 is very good 90C 93C is ouch...Are you on a laptop? (dual core?). The only thing I'd suggest is change your GPU compound because laptops are designed to limit their capabilities with dumb cooling systems (1 cooling system for both CPU and GPU). The only laptop that could almost run MMORPGs without any problems I've seen was a quad core with 1024 nvidia in it.

Even games as nicely designed graphically as LOTRO (technically; in terms of smart mapping / texture compression / use of billboards / mip maps / low poly budget) choke on PVP with over 20 characters involved unless you sport brand new PC. I used to PVP with very low settings. Now imagine hundreds of units involved like in DoF. I don't think developers have done such a bad job in terms of graphics.

Last edited by Magicus : 10-12-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 PM

ObscuredUSA has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicus View Post
70-75 is very good 90C 93C is ouch...Are you on a laptop? (dual core?). The only thing I'd suggest is change your GPU compound because laptops are designed to limit their capabilities with dumb cooling systems (1 cooling system for both CPU and GPU). The only laptop that could almost run MMORPGs without any problems I've seen was a quad core with 1024 nvidia in it.
I play on a desktop.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I play on a desktop.
Well it's a pain I admit. Although I don't think graphics wise they've done a bad job I do suggest optional graphics settings so even the low end players can enjoy the game without getting a stroke this way securing a bigger audience / player base. I believe it will come in time.

I'd check that compound anyway Obscured because you're gonna fry a decent PC. If you game a lot it dries real fast.

EDIT: It sounds dumb I know but your GPU isn't getting any cooling because there's no heat transfer just dried up cement.

Last edited by Magicus : 10-12-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM

ObscuredUSA has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicus View Post
Well it's a pain I admit. Although I don't think graphics wise they've done a bad job I do suggest optional graphics settings so even the low end players can enjoy the game without getting a stroke this way securing a bigger audience / player base. I believe it will come in time.

I'd check that compound anyway Obscured because you're gonna fry a decent PC. If you game a lot it dries real fast.
I have the graphics turned to the lowest settings on this game. It just doesn't make sense why this is the only game that does this to my PC. Even battlefield 3 beta didn't run my cards this hot. I played that on medium settings. Also, what exactly do you mean by compound?

Edit: Oh you mean thermal paste? I have no clue how to check that or how to put new on.

Last edited by ObscuredUSA : 10-12-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have the graphics turned to the lowest settings on this game. It just doesn't make sense why this is the only game that does this to my PC. Even battlefield 3 beta didn't run my cards this hot. I played that on medium settings. Also, what exactly do you mean by compound?

Edit: Oh you mean thermal paste? I have no clue how to check that or how to put new on.
Look around I'm sure there's more on the Net:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2200426_ap...pound-cpu.html

It's a simple DIY job just make sure you don't splatter the microchip. Just change your GPU compound for starters (your CPU should be okay). You can get a tube for 10 GBP or ask at your local PC repair shop they should give you some for free.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

Magicmud83 has a default reputation

The paste will help his chip set if its dried up but wont help his cards heat.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Dalizon has fair reputation

Were is my patch?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicmud83 View Post
The paste will help his chip set if its dried up but wont help his cards heat.
I have to disagree. His card is probably not getting any cooling because of the dried up paste. It's a routine procedure especially if you use your graphics very often (gaming or even photoshop). My laptop (which is a dual with a similar card to his (older type) was getting better temperature results than his and...I have a single cooling system and this laptop is at least 2 years old).
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Guys - quick announcement, looks like we`ll need couple more hours to wrap up the patch. ETA is 7.30 pm EST. And here`s a preview

Patch # 1.0.6
:::::Major Fixes and Additions:::::
-Major updates to networking fixing large number of issues related to progress not saving or getting stuck at loading screens
-Fixed worker units not remembering their tasks on reload
-Fixed rare issues with homeland getting stuck on loading screen
-Fixed crash when entering View in Orcish regions
-Fixed building instantly finishing on reload if construction was rushed
-If player alft + f4 or disconnects during PvP battle he`ll still pay the penalty
-Fix issue with resources and units purchased from NPC merchants not always saving
-Lay Siege in online kingdom now gives influence reward
-Lay Siege in online kingdom is 3 to 5 times harder now
-Fixed all late game quests with Laying Siege to NPC towns not working
-Fixed missing Training Merchant cinematic in NPC towns
-Updater logging expanded - to allow easily detect and fix last remaining updater issues
:::::Minor Fixes and Additions:::::
-Fixed Human quest - Place of Hate dialogue in Denwall
-Fixed Orc quest Assault on Teria
-Fixed Orc quest - Old Scores - Krak`s dialogue
-Fixed Orc Quest - protect the Prince reward cinematic
-Fixed Orc quest - Ambush - stuck on a black screen on intro
-Adjust influence reward display in the battle window for PvP - shows both win and loose
-Units in NPC towns in Online Kingdom will now be level 7 to 9
-Improved visual switch from PvP attack window to the loading screen
-Improved switch from homeland to worldmap
-Improved return to world map from remote scenario
-Dead buildings now don`t add to the gather rate income
-Fixed bugs with elven residence and resources income
-When visiting NPC towns merchant will belong to the correct race
-Alchemy lab upgrades not saved on reload and global
-Fixed human market but with selling wood 200 at a time
-Fixed battalion heal rate and auto healing
-Fixed Mass Heal ability for heroes and other units
-Rebalance mass Heal ability, cost 180 stamina, more effective
-Fix for army camps in neutral regions, not showing all the buttons

Last edited by Konstantin Fomenko : 10-12-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

ThatguyAds1298 has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
-Major updates to networking fixing large number of issues
-Fixed crash when entering View in Orcish regions
-If player alft + f4 or disconnects during PvP battle he`ll still pay the penalty
-Fixed Orc quest - Old Scores - Krak`s dialogue
-Adjust influence reward display in the battle window for PvP - shows both win and loose
These stuck out for me the most, its all awesome of course but woo!

Thanks for the hard work guys, looks like im not getting much sleep tonight!