Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Regular Trained Troops and Mercenarys - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Location: Somewhere between the Westcoast of the USA and the Eastcost of Japan
Sunleader has good reputation
Default Regular Trained Troops and Mercenarys

Since my Opinion Differs Greatly from the other Thread
I.ll make a concrete suggestion here

1. Differeniate between Mercenarys and Regular Troops

Regular Troops should be considerably more Expensive and should take a long time to train

A Knight Squad for example should take an Hour to Train and Should cost about 2000 units of Ressources

Regular Troops should have about 50% more Health and Damage

After all Regular Trained Troops are usually much more Disciplined for War than Mercs

2. Implement Different Army Types

Main Army

Must be the Only Main Army
Must be Accompanied by the Hero when moving
Must be composed of at least 40% Regular Units

Should have 90 Unit Slots

Regular Army

Must be composed of at least 33% Regular Units

Should have 60 Unit Slots

Free Army

No Restrictions

Should have 30 Unit Slots

I think this might be worth a tought

It would address several problems

1. it would stop people from using Merc only Armys as their Main Force

2. it would give some sense to Barracks and other Building and Techs since right now you actually hardly use em.

3.it would give the Ressource Gatherin some sense since right now you usually have large masses of Ressources but hardly a use for it

4. it would give PvP a new meaning since you could no longer enter the biggest PvP Battles unless you also develop your Kingdom
unlike now where you pretty much PvP with Merc only Armys

Greetz Sun
Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

Like the idea. Seems mercs are taking all the fun out of army building; and while I'm all for mercs, they should only make up a small bit of the armies.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Bump for Victory
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Laceretti has a default reputation

I agree with what you put in #1. It may be easier to just increase the level cap of trained units rather than making them 50% more powerful. I think should be good for quickly filling a hole in your army, but long term there should be a reason to use the buildings in the cities once you have all the upgrades.

I don't know how I feel about #2 though. This seems like it would be complex to implement and manage. At the end of the day you would be better off filling in your army with level 15 trained knights than level 10 merc knights.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM

SgtOx has a default reputation
Default Very good suggestion

I truely agree. I have had no use for my Barracks, Archery, etc. All I do is buy merc units because with the loot ability, money is not hard to come by. Perhaps also, dont' allow mercs to level...hire them for a mission if you need more troops for a particular misson, and then disband them at the end of the mission.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Boricsmith has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtOx View Post
I truely agree. I have had no use for my Barracks, Archery, etc. All I do is buy merc units because with the loot ability, money is not hard to come by. Perhaps also, dont' allow mercs to level...hire them for a mission if you need more troops for a particular misson, and then disband them at the end of the mission.
I have a combination of both player created and merc units. The player created ones have more hitpoints and do more damage, unless this was just a bug .
Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Most likely a Bug
since I have Mercs and Home Build as well
but they ALL have different stats

I have over 20 Crossbow Squads
and each has completly different stats
despite being same lvl

Funniest thing is
theres one guy with 41 Healing per Tick
hes lvl 6
now if you count
6lvls x 3 points x 2 Heal per tick + standart heal per tick =37 Healing per tick at max and that assuming I spent all points in Healing

but hes got 41 per tick and not only that
he also has a damage of 12xx

I keep saying that all over the place since people keep discussing balance
which is useless when every Unit can be superstrong or superweak

but well nobody listens ...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Zackreaver has fair reputation
Default In terms of Utility and Cost Effeciency

This is one thing I noticed while playing the game, mercenaries just seem to defeat the purpose of building training structures and spending influence to unlock units. It just seems that because we can recruit mercs of basically every unit type, and the fact that they start at much higher levels, there doesn't seem to be a very productive reason to train them at your home city.

Training at your home city costs both gold and food or wood, and it takes some time for the unit to actually finish training. With mercenaries they only cost gold, train instantly, and can start levels as high as level 9, saving you the trouble of actually leveling them up.

Where as I enjoy the convenience of being able to start with a nice well trained army, I don't think it's right to outright void out the purpose of the training structures in the home city.

I believe that for the extra amount of work required to train units at the home city, we should get some kind of benefit, here is a number of suggestions.

1. Raise the mercenaries costs, but give discounts to players that have the particular unit unlocked for their home city, also give further discounts for each subsequent barracks that they have. Simply raising the costs of mercenaries won't make trained units more popular, because it's still more convenient to purchase high level units than to grind low level units up. Players will just end up having to grind for the gold more to obtain mercs and there would still be little use for the barracks. Also, number 1 would make building more than 1 type of barracks more useful, because would you really need 2-5 archery ranges when humans have limited building plots as it is.

2. Make trained units either stronger, or gain experience at a faster rate. Seeing as how they are trained from your home city, it isn't that they are better trained than mercenaries, I'm sure those mercenaries are pretty well trained too. But mercenaries fight for coin, where as your trained soldiers fight for your people, there should be some particular benefit to symbolize their more heroic zeal to protect their families.

3. In contrast to Number 2, make mercenaries not gain the benefits from unit upgrades, such as blacksmith upgrades. This way mercenaries serve as the early game questers to help new cities build up to their own military might. In a sense your paying them to fight for you, but you didn't offer them any of your training services or equipment, furthermore once again, they are fighting mostly for coin, perhaps when morale gets implemented mercenaries should have a lower morale in comparison to regularly trained units, as they would care more about their lives than protecting some city that hired them.