Couple of things before I purchase - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

xeovy has a default reputation

here do not have to pay anything.
The crowns are obtained with missions, pvp and attacking cities.
Even the new content so you can get without paying.
there are 2 options, paying or not paying.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 AM

Sephriem is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeovy View Post
here do not have to pay anything.
The crowns are obtained with missions, pvp and attacking cities.
Even the new content so you can get without paying.
there are 2 options, paying or not paying.
This. Also there aren't many MMORTS games out right now. Most of them are crappy browswer games that really do ask you to hand your paycheck over to them. The only other online MMORTS game that comes close to this would be AoE Online, but even that asks you to pay a **** ton to unlock even a different race. It's like 20$ just to unlock a new race there.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 AM

Pepi18 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephriem View Post
This. Also there aren't many MMORTS games out right now. Most of them are crappy browswer games that really do ask you to hand your paycheck over to them. The only other online MMORTS game that comes close to this would be AoE Online, but even that asks you to pay a **** ton to unlock even a different race. It's like 20$ just to unlock a new race there.
Aye that is perfectly true - MMORTSs are hard to come by. I tried AoE Online when it launched for 2 weeks as well. It was far more polished and smooth however it had its own set of problems and neglect which left me unmotivated to play once I reach end game. Also worth noting is AoEO does not have a cash shop with game boosting items for sale - it does have bonus content packs for sale. Even though AoEO can be extremely overpriced (although you don't have to choose to buy all the content) it wasn't a problem for me because there was no concern of paying to win; even if you purchased content packs you would still have to work just as hard to win.

Its like I said in the beginning; this game, if and when it works smoothly, is a perfect fit for my MMORTS dream and there is no other game out there to come close to beating it. However, even though you can choose to pay for crowns or work towards them, they have a high risk of unbalancing the game in ways I do not enjoy; I have seen it so many times before. HOWEVER...

It is also a possibility that Dawn of Fantasy will still be good EVEN with a game boosting cash shop and that it will not ruin the fun (for me). Seeing as there is no alternative MMORTS for me I might stick around for a bit and see where it goes. Time will tell.

Well thanks for being patient and listening to my concerns guys... I'll stick with DoF and keep a positive attitude .

Last edited by Pepi18 : 10-02-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi18 View Post
Aye that is perfectly true - MMORTSs are hard to come by. I tried AoE Online when it launched for 2 weeks as well. It was far more polished and smooth however it had its own set of problems and neglect which left me unmotivated to play once I reach end game. Also worth noting is AoEO does not have a cash shop with game boosting items for sale - it does have bonus content packs for sale. Even though AoEO can be extremely overpriced (although you don't have to choose to buy all the content) it wasn't a problem for me because there was no concern of paying to win; even if you purchased content packs you would still have to work just as hard to win.

Its like I said in the beginning; this game, if and when it works smoothly, is a perfect fit for my MMORTS dream and there is no other game out there to come close to beating it. However, even though you can choose to pay for crowns or work towards them, they have a high risk of unbalancing the game in ways I do not enjoy; I have seen it so many times before. HOWEVER...

It is also a possibility that Dawn of Fantasy will still be good EVEN with a game boosting cash shop and that it will not ruin the fun (for me). Seeing as there is no alternative MMORTS for me I might stick around for a bit and see where it goes. Time will tell.

Well thanks for being patient and listening to my concerns guys... I'll stick with DoF and keep a positive attitude .
I agree with this, it does have potential to turn into a cash grab game, like most MMORTS games choose to go this route by selling some pretty imba items in cash shops. One example that comes to mind is the +300% build speed you can buy in Lord of Ultima. If you pay for this item, in a week you'll have the same castle/army as someone who spent a month playing this game and you'll probably own them up.

Another thing I see with games like Lord of Ultima that this game has is dev interaction. There is nowhere that you can go to express your concerns to the dev team and have them listen. In this game, you make a thread on these forums and 80% of the time a dev will see it, at least it seems this way. Just by this amount of community interaction I have hope that they won't make some crazy cash shop items that will imba the game, and that they will have it reasonably priced.

About the AoEO comments, They do only sell content and no p2w items. Although I don't think it's fair to compare a game like AoEO made/published/maintained by industry giant Microsoft to this game made by an indie developer! I only played AoEO for a week or so, but I did some research on popular websites like mmorpg.com and mmohut.com and the general consensus there seems to be that it does not live up to the expectations of an AoE game. I guess they were screwed either way since the AoE franchise is huge and I don't think they would have ever been able to live up to the hype.

Anyway, those are my thoughts!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

andreicde has a default reputation

lol p2win cash shop?did you played the game?The units you buy there ARE NOT invincible. The resources you buy there can be EASILY acquired in game. the Wealth(influence) can be EASILY acquired also.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreicde View Post
lol p2win cash shop?did you played the game?The units you buy there ARE NOT invincible. The resources you buy there can be EASILY acquired in game. the Wealth(influence) can be EASILY acquired also.
We're just discussing how the few MMORTS games out there tend to end up as p2w, not saying this game will follow in the same footsteps (I actually believe it wont!)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

White935 has fair reputation

I agree i doubt this game will end up as p2w due to the fact that the devs love the game themselves ( or atleast thats the impression i've got) and crowns can be aquired easily by other means.

I think i'll be buying crowns/infulnece/wealth now and then to support the develoupers thou and i hope others will too.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM

kyranzor is just above average reputation

Pepi18, the thing is, the way DOF works is that you can pay money to get influence and build up faster, but there is a threshold where you 'have' everything. The only thing money can buy then is faster replacement armies, and this will become extremely important when large clans/guild battles start happening. When a guild leader/accountant is spending thousands of dollars a month to keep the clan on the top of the rankings, they will dominate with special units and very fast resource recovery.

It's a means to an end, but it's not the only end. The majority of players won't even go near the shop, and only those who are truly competitive and want to 'waste' their life and money on the serious side of the game will use the market how you say it will be used. Not only that, but it will be a battle of the buyers, it will hardly ever be buyers versus non-buying players.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Pepi18 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyranzor View Post
Pepi18, the thing is, the way DOF works is that you can pay money to get influence and build up faster, but there is a threshold where you 'have' everything. The only thing money can buy then is faster replacement armies, and this will become extremely important when large clans/guild battles start happening. When a guild leader/accountant is spending thousands of dollars a month to keep the clan on the top of the rankings, they will dominate with special units and very fast resource recovery.

It's a means to an end, but it's not the only end. The majority of players won't even go near the shop, and only those who are truly competitive and want to 'waste' their life and money on the serious side of the game will use the market how you say it will be used. Not only that, but it will be a battle of the buyers, it will hardly ever be buyers versus non-buying players.
I guess I don't have a very good idea about how end game works in this game then. So you max out your home city, your troops and your resources and that is as far as your personal progression goes? And the cash shop will help you replenish your city, troops and resources faster?

I know this is going off topic, but what does the majority of the gameplay entail... I was assuming you kept growing within your city and somehow battling for power with other players.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 PM

kyranzor is just above average reputation

You can never permenantly lose your home city, and once it is fully built and you have finished the 'quests' which form the intro to the game, there is nothing to do but battle/seige the ai and other players. It is definitely a limited end-game. Will take a while of constant playing to get there though. In the beta i got only halfway through this process, but i quickly realised the shortfalls of endgame play. Just like what happens in games like Guild Wars when your character reaches lvl20, nothing more to do except join guilds and do battles.