Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Couple of things before I purchase - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 07:44 AM

Pepi18 has a default reputation
Default Couple of things before I purchase

Hi,

I was browsing mmorpg.com today and discovered this game has just been released in the news section. I have been looking for an RTS game set in a persistent world with and against other players for a while now and was given a pleasant surprise today when I discovered Dawn Of Fantasy. What can I say, it is exactly as I had pictured the game I am looking for should be. I am delighted!

I have a three queries about it though before I seal the deal and purchase the game.

1. Server structure. Background: [There are three types of server structures in MMOs today. The most well known of these structures is made up of many shards or servers each housing a portion of the player base, where the players are constricted to that server only leaving the games community divided between the servers. This structure is popularized by WoW and most games follow it. Second there is a similar structure involving multiple servers, but where the player gets to choose a server whenever deciding to play and can switch servers at will such as with Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2 and Runescape. Finally there is the epic and ambitious albeit expensive structure of housing the entire player base on one server cluster as is most well known to be done by Eve Online.]

Personally I can't enjoy playing in a sharded community and any game with a sharded server structure (no matter how good) I cannot play. Does DoF have more than one server? If so, does it allow you to switch servers if you desire?

2. Player base and popularity. I have a thing that when I choose to play an MMORPG (or MMORTS) that it has to have a decent and growing player base and popularity. As I said above I was quite stunned and awed by my discovery of DoF and what it has to offer (although I can't yet know how it plays), however was underwhelmed by the fact that theres not much to find about it out there. It seems as though DoF hasn't been marketed very well and that it is not on many peoples radar. This worries me. Is the player base healthy and growing and should I be worried by the apparent lack of hype?

3. Community. My final concern is about the age level and maturity of the community in DoF in general. I have known MMOs in the past in which my experience was ruined by a bad community, often resulting from the player base consisting primarily of a young age group. How is the DoF community?

Well I know I have asked allot! I would be very grateful if someone could answer my concerns before I think about purchasing Dawn Of fantasy. It really looks wonderful and I hope I'll see you in game soon .

Cheers

Last edited by Pepi18 : 10-01-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM

BrandungsFels has fair reputation

greetings

point1: as far as i know its all located on one server

point2: marketing has not been started yet i think

point3: well, so far i can say honestly that iam surprised about the nice atmosphere on server - even though i can not imagine more than half of the players being 20+, i have not encountered any rude discussion

my advise: just buy it (30euro for a game is pretty fair) - its definately worth it, especially when thinking of the plans the devs got with this game (its far from finished)

regards
-Fels
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Programmer

Jarno Montonen has a default reputation

I second BrandungsFels' answers. Especially the last advice! ;D

So yeah, you will be able to interact with every single player from around the world. No regional division of any kind. The player base is healthy and growing and I can say that we are especially broud of the community all together!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

1) Right now everyone is on the same server.

2)Yes, DoF right now isnt on everyones radar, but there is word of mouth and people stumbling into the game (you have XD). Our publisher has decided to delay our marketing, which I believe is due to allowing us to smooth out the gameplay some more and to add more features. So that when they do and more people join it, they will enjoy the game more.

3)Yes even during the beta the community was amazing. There was still those that had to rage about every little thing but every game has those.

Another point to add is that we are constantly fixing the game and plan to do so for how ever long we need to. For the next few months we are going to be patching the game pretty heavily for both bugs and features.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 10-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Martin View Post
1) Right now everyone is on the same server.

2)Yes, DoF right now isnt on everyones radar, but there is word of mouth and people stumbling into the game (you have XD). Our publisher has decided to delay our marketing, which I believe is due to allowing us to smooth out the gameplay some more and to add more features. So that when they do and more people join it, they will enjoy the game more.

3)Yes even during the beta the community was amazing. There was still those that had to rage about every little thing but every game has those.

Another point to add is that we are constantly fixing the game and plan to do so for how ever long we need to. For the next few months we are going to be patching the game pretty heavily for both bugs and features.

Well that all sounds great to me! It's good to hear a reasonable explanation as to why what appears to be such a great game hasn't been marketed yet and that the community is good too. I would still like to get some more info on how the servers will be structured once (and if) the player base overpasses the first server.

Thanks for you're responses - they were all helpful .

I'll see you in game once I have finished purchasing and downloading xD.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

chanman20 has a default reputation

i have to say i love the community and the devs. i know a few games like PWI and WoW have a lot of jerks plus they don't fix the bugs instead they add new stuff which also has bugs
Old 10-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Sephriem is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi18 View Post
Hi,

2. Player base and popularity. I have a thing that when I choose to play an MMORPG (or MMORTS) that it has to have a decent and growing player base and popularity. As I said above I was quite stunned and awed by my discovery of DoF and what it has to offer (although I can't yet know how it plays), however was underwhelmed by the fact that theres not much to find about it out there. It seems as though DoF hasn't been marketed very well and that it is not on many peoples radar. This worries me. Is the player base healthy and growing and should I be worried by the apparent lack of hype?
I read that the devs are waiting a month to start advertising (from a post on the DoF section of the mmorpg.com forums). He/she said they are planning to make major improvements and whatnot this month and will start marketing soon after.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanman20 View Post
plus they don't fix the bugs instead they add new stuff which also has bugs
We do some of that too sometimes,,, but at least we are honest.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

andreicde has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
We do some of that too sometimes,,, but at least we are honest.
o.O really?OMG GIMME REFUND@@@ lol jk

But at least you guys are ACTUALLY patching the game. Saw tons of games that had bugs from the beginning,important bugs that were never fixed.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 AM

Well I purchased the game and gave it a try... While it obviously needs allot of cleaning up any many regards that was ok... Untill I hit the cash shop.

One look at that cash shop has buy to win written all over it. Now I know that you can't buy crowns yet and even when you can you will still be able to work for them, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a buy to win game (like Runes of Magic etc). Pay to win is a dealer breaker for me. Just look at the riots that happened when Eve Online made a cash shop. Look at all the concerns about the future Guild Wars 2 cash shop (which they assured is going to be purely cosmetic). I won't play a game where players will pay to win. I'll continue waiting for Guild Wars 2.

Sorry no dice... I wish I had been aware of this before I spent my money - there was no immediate mention of it with the lack of information around. But don't let me stop others from enjoying the game. It looks WONDERFUL and is full of potential and just because this business model doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. I'm sure many people will be OK with a gameplay boosting cash shop.

I wish everyone all the best with Dawn of Fantasy and thank you for being so helpful and friendly, cheers!

Last edited by Pepi18 : 10-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.