DoFUpdater.exe - Application Error?? - Page 11 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Technical Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Reverie World Studios - Utilities Programmer

Tyler Dodge has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masori View Post
Is there any advancement for this issue? i'm sorry to ask again but i'm eager to play this game^^
Don't worry about it, after all you did pay for the game, so you have a right to want to get it to work. I will continue to look into it, and hopefully I will make some progress today
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Matrox has a default reputation

hi guys

i have the same problem my updater stops at 2 files....

i reinstalled it and again it says DoFUpdater works no longer.

Need help please!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 AM

SysOpPsyche has a default reputation
My updater always stalls momentarily at 10 remaining files too but I don't actually have a problem. Looks like an access violation issue though (can't really ID what could be causing it though).

Tyler, since you know the list of files being checked and which files are at the end of the list:

1) try moving the last 10 files in the list to the front of the list to determine if its an issue with the list handler. Try spreading the last 10 files away from each other in the list to determine if its a shared dependency or some-such causing those 10 files to conflict with each other.

2) Check what those files properties are - they large? small? Windows system files? are there multiple handlers/versions of those files 32bit & 64bit. As that might be an issue with handler trying access the file multiple ways causing an access violation with itself. Or if its size maybe a timeout due paging/caching happening and causing an access violation trying to access it before its finished paging etc.

Kind of bored, so just trolling the forum at this point. Think I may go play some Mount & Blade.

[edit: forgot, might also check that a handle/token isn't being shared to access multiple files since it may get cleared/removed/altered what-not, ie. you know your handle to the file is current and available - some might be getting removed on release or take some time to be released]

Good Luck with the issue.

Last edited by SysOpPsyche : 10-15-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SysOpPsyche View Post
My updater always stalls momentarily at 10 remaining files too but I don't actually have a problem. Looks like an access violation issue though (can't really ID what could be causing it though).

Tyler, since you know the list of files being checked and which files are at the end of the list:

1) try moving the last 10 files in the list to the front of the list to determine if its an issue with the list handler. Try spreading the last 10 files away from each other in the list to determine if its a shared dependency or some-such causing those 10 files to conflict with each other.

2) Check what those files properties are - they large? small? Windows system files? are there multiple handlers/versions of those files 32bit & 64bit. As that might be an issue with handler trying access the file multiple ways causing an access violation with itself. Or if its size maybe a timeout due paging/caching happening and causing an access violation trying to access it before its finished paging etc.

Kind of bored, so just trolling the forum at this point. Think I may go play some Mount & Blade.

[edit: forgot, might also check that a handle/token isn't being shared to access multiple files since it may get cleared/removed/altered what-not, ie. you know your handle to the file is current and available - some might be getting removed on release or take some time to be released]

Good Luck with the issue.
Hi thanks for the ideas, I'll see if I can actually determine which file it's stopping on. The problem though, is there is not actually a guarantee of the order that it downloads at, because the file validation is multi threaded, and the actual downloading is too. Plus the end files might actually already be installed, so it could be at any point in the list. Thinking about it, files that are checked and turn up invalid are probably going to be at the end of the downloading list. Although, you are right that I should determine which files its stopping on, so I am going to do a release momentarily that will list the files that it plans on downloading in the final pass and that hopefully will be useful information.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I've made a change so that now when you run the updater, it will make a file called queuedDownloads.txt in your dawn of fantasy directory. It would be much appreciated if everyone who has updater issues uploads this file to this thread as soon as possible

Thanks
Tyler Dodge
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 AM

Masori has a default reputation

Hi,

I've Reinstalled the game, in french and english, but the updater doesn't start, always : "dofupdater has stopped working" .Moreover, there is no queuedDownloads.txt in the dawn of fantasy directory.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I've Reinstalled the game, in french and english, but the updater doesn't start, always : "dofupdater has stopped working" .Moreover, there is no queuedDownloads.txt in the dawn of fantasy directory.
Try downloading this, place it in your dawn of fantasy directory, and running it. It should bring your updater to the newest version, and it might possibly give me some more information on the issue if it doesn't work.

http://dofgame.com/updater/bin/Updat...aterUpdate.exe
Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 PM

kev0819 has a default reputation

Hey, i recently posted... i have got the queueddownloads.exe in my directory.. what am i meant to do with it?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Masori has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Dodge View Post
Try downloading this, place it in your dawn of fantasy directory, and running it. It should bring your updater to the newest version, and it might possibly give me some more information on the issue if it doesn't work.

http://dofgame.com/updater/bin/Updat...aterUpdate.exe
I placed it in my directory, but it says the same error : updaterupdate has stopped working. as soon as i run it.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I placed it in my directory, but it says the same error : updaterupdate has stopped working. as soon as i run it.
Hmm ok, well that means it's pretty close to definitely being an issue with your installation of the .net framework, which version do you have?