Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

What usually happens when I try to get someone to play Dawn of Fantasy - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 AM

Vigilus has good reputation

well there is still a bit more work to be done, we shall see how the pvp goes. can't wait, and I hope it will be well conceived.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Aedric has a default reputation

This game offers a lot more based on it's features in at least the persistent online world sector that any other I can think of. Yes, I was a bit disappointed to learn that I could not take over someone's castle. Does that deter me? No, I loved SG and AoE and neither allowed that either. For me, it is enough that someone is someone is making a true RTS in a persistent world. It's a step in the right direction. Hopefully, it will get this market recognized, then maybe Reverie will get more funding and be able to tackle the logistical nightmare that designing captureable player cities would be.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

theinternetman has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedric View Post
maybe Reverie will get more funding and be able to tackle the logistical nightmare that designing captureable player cities would be.
I'm sorry but you're completely wrong about it being difficult to add in a persistent castle capturing mechanic. There is a mod developed almost entirely by 1 person for free for Mount and Blade: Warband entirely in python that allows for conquest of castles, towns, etc. in an extremely advanced game. It's ran entirely for free, and has custom loadouts for every single one of your PLAYER troops. 100v100 battles over castles like Shariz are no stranger to M&B: cRPG, with full siege equipment, pre-purchased equipment to customize each player's loadout, advanced voice commands and banner tactics, etc.

http://c-rpg.net/

Castle Wars for Warcraft 3 is more advanced than Dawn of Fantasy. The developers can wake up and smell the roses or just keep on resting their success on marketing.

Last edited by theinternetman : 07-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinternetman View Post
I'm sorry but you're completely wrong about it being difficult to add in a persistent castle capturing mechanic. There is a mod developed almost entirely by 1 person for free for Mount and Blade: Warband entirely in python that allows for conquest of castles, towns, etc. in an extremely advanced game. It's ran entirely for free, and has custom loadouts for every single one of your PLAYER troops. 100v100 battles over castles like Shariz are no stranger to M&B: cRPG, with full siege equipment, pre-purchased equipment to customize each player's loadout, advanced voice commands and banner tactics, etc.

http://c-rpg.net/

Castle Wars for Warcraft 3 is more advanced than Dawn of Fantasy. The developers can wake up and smell the roses or just keep on resting their success on marketing.
theinternetman believe what you will, but it has been stated already that there will be a form of conquest in this game. Right now its not a matter for difficulty, its a matter of time mainly. The conquest will be added in this game after release. We just dont have time to add this stuff in right now. Those mods also to a long time to create and it was a mod meaning no money was involved. When money/time is involved there is a lot of sacrifices you have to make.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM

laminblake is just above average reputation

Im really annoyed by the fact that the devs need to "apologize" to these people. The game is in BETA! Its an INDI company that doesnt rake in millions like others yet has a stable game that is actually fun (unlike some games like gods and heroes "what a joke that is"). So quit QQing and be patient:

The troll's theme song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FUR_nhGX8
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Temudjin has a default reputation
Exclamation

Pros of DoF:
+ persistent World
IF the developers have the heart to implement it:
+++ where the old RTS-dream to "conquer the world" can become true!

Cons of DoF:
- crappy graphics (compared to five-year-old Age of Empires III, they are terrible)
- very bad performance even on high-class PCs
- chunky sounds
- repetitive music
- unwieldy handling

Conquering (or at least raiding) other player's bases would be the Unique Selling Point of DoW. Without it, its just another RTS noone cares to play.

TL;DR: Original poster is right.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM

cokaner has a default reputation

I just got to say this game has very high potential. I have been waiting for a persistent online open world MMORTS for a few years now. I would easily pay $60 for the product and a $15 monthly fee for connection to the server. I am very optimistic for this game to eventually go in that direction and will keep my eye on it.

Unfortunately I will not buy it until it does. Not because it's not a good game. But because I have very little time in my life to game anymore. I only have time to play those games I dream about at night and think about during the day. The ones you sacrifice sleep over or cancel plans. This game is not there yet. But it could with an expansion or two.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM

imnotbncre8ive has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinternetman View Post
You can dress up a pig in makeup all you want but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

Sorry if this post comes off as a bit abrasive, I'm trying to be real here, that's all. Tough love.
Let me be the abrasive one. Calling this game a pig is unfair - a pig is at least cute and lovable. This game, from what little I've seen, is more reminiscent of pond scum. Not even the game updater worked properly - a new low in modern game development. I am appalled that anyone could attempt to charge money for this software. Apologists for this game keep pointing out how many bugs have been fixed and how far the team has come in development. My god... I shudder to think what this game was like back then, given its current deplorable state. One dev mentioned that in terms of comp specs needed to run this game *smoothly*, it is comparable to Crysis. Is this just an elaborate practical joke?

I'm not trying to insult the game devs in any way. But if any fanboys are butthurt at my criticism, then my life is complete.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
Let me be the abrasive one. Calling this game a pig is unfair - a pig is at least cute and lovable. This game, from what little I've seen, is more reminiscent of pond scum. Not even the game updater worked properly - a new low in modern game development. I am appalled that anyone could attempt to charge money for this software. Apologists for this game keep pointing out how many bugs have been fixed and how far the team has come in development. My god... I shudder to think what this game was like back then, given its current deplorable state. One dev mentioned that in terms of comp specs needed to run this game *smoothly*, it is comparable to Crysis. Is this just an elaborate practical joke?

I'm not trying to insult the game devs in any way. But if any fanboys are butthurt at my criticism, then my life is complete.
Wow someone was potty trained at gun point. You have your opinion and I accept it. This game has a lot of problems, but you are comparing a company full of first time devs to a company full of developers with years of experience on AAA titles. So of course they have the developers that know how to optimize the game where it needs to be.

You seem to be having problems with the game and are upset by that. Sorry for you having these problems, but you shouldn't be trolling the forum because of your bad experiences with the game. The whole point of this beta is to get this game functional.

That last comment was uncalled for. Some people will like this game and some wont. There is no need to criticize other peoples taste.

So please if you still feel the need to troll, don't, just leave.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima

Last edited by Henry Martin : 09-06-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM

imnotbncre8ive has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Martin View Post
This company is small, and has went through a lot more than you will ever know with a team of nonprofessionals doing their best as making a game that I personally am surprised at the **** they went through and what they have now (more so now that I am a dev and have seen more). I joined the team late in development so I haven't had any input in the development.

This game has a lot of problems, but you are comparing a company full of first time devs to a company full of developers with years of experience on AAA titles. So of course they have the developers that know how to optimize the game where it needs to be.
I'm amused: your title says "QA Tester", yet you are also ostensibly the public mouthpiece and tireless apologist for the development team. When the product is completed, it will be judged on its own merits - poorly functioning games will not be excused by appealing to the inexperience of the dev team. No amount of brilliant game design will make the game fun if it can't run at proper speed.

It's surprising that you devote so much time to responding to every criticism raised against the game - I woulda thought you'd have your hands full with QA testing - lord knows this game needs it right now.

Also, I take pride in my potty training.

Last edited by imnotbncre8ive : 09-06-2011 at 09:29 PM.