Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

End-Game - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 AM

matthewdelello has a default reputation
Default End-Game

If I am to assume correctly, sieging computer towns in MP will only yield resources and no change of land exists.

If this is the case, what is the end game?

After a few days of trading resources, moving resources around -- I just flat out don't need more resources for my one village. What's the purpose of the sieging endgame if it only yields more resources for your one village?

This post is only about sieging computers, not players. Thanks.

Please correct where necessary,

Best,
MD

Last edited by matthewdelello : 08-17-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

For starters, the game has been significantly sped up for the beta to compensate for the server resets, so building a town will take much longer.

And then the end game comes in completing the campaign and any available side quests, teaming up and forming a guild that can compete with other guilds for dominance, and the achievement system - and of course, kicking some ass.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Rudedawg has a default reputation

I have played other games like this and left shortly thereafter specifically because of no "end game".

Without destructible assets that have a significant impact on game play there is no reason to play for longer than a month or two.

And as game dev's if you tihnk otherwise you are sadly mistaken.

imo what is needed is a mechanism in place where you / your guild / your alliance can conquor the known world - this is what would draw players.

I had mentioned in another thread is that I'm not even sure if I was offline for a day if I would want to come back to my city gone.

So what it takes is some creative out of the box thinking, like:

If your city is taken over / razed while you are offline you retain 75% of your resources / build time / units and you can rebuild - with significantly less build times in a new location.

This may not be the solution - but as stated the problem requires out of the box thinking.

If this is going to be another carebear - nothing I do really matters kind of game - I won't be playing it.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Bladestorm99 has a default reputation

No need to be picky, its still a beta, but you do raise a point, there is a need to have this destructible world, where you can conquer and destroy enemy players town, capture the ork kingdom, this could be done with temporary online season campaigns, each season had its own objectives and achievements. And so fort.

But give them some slack, they deserve it, they did hand us a great beta for us to playtest, and im loving it ^^
Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

andreicde has a default reputation

I disagree with the destruction of enemy players towns.this is too brutal for some players.what if a player spends money to build a nice city and he has to go for a few days?he comes back and his hundred dollars are gone because a jerk decided to destroy him. They should make different types of servers for hardscore players and the rest. Just because you dont mind having your city destroyed doesn't mean others won't. Plus people are rushing when they are talking about end game. They keep forgetting this isn't gonna take a few days only.

Yes we should have a system where guilds could control big castles and get bonuses in pvp or just in general. Say a guild that controls a big castle can collect the money from the other NPC towns if people trade there but can also use them to improve the big cities in case someone decides to take it. For example they pay a certain amount of gold and they can improve the levels of the existing guards or they add a few extra troops in that castle.The options are endless.

Another thing I would suggest would be a special land on the world map where players could attack each other at will and where for every fight won you can get say some chests which contain resources,items for the hero and other stuff.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Lunks has a default reputation

There needs to be an end-game and that is a valid question. I have yet to see an answer, unless guild-based achievements and completing the storyline while in multiplayer mode is the end-game.

So what is the point of fighting if you have nothing to lose and little to gain. Is this truly MMORTS or RTS with chat feature, matchmaking/coop and social interface.

End-Game as an afterthought rarely turns out well.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Enlightener has a default reputation
Lightbulb

Destroyable towns would be a great feature that would ultimately separate (even more ) DoF from a regular RTS

But that would also be a great risk.
For starters, the game will support micro-transactions ( i'm assuming it will ) and as it was mentioned , no one likes to see their money and time literaly gone to ashes.

On the other hand , without a way to siege/loot other player's towns, the game will quickly become very dull .

That being said i dont think the devs should discard the option to add this game feature .

Idea : Make players able to attack each other , this is the ultimate and most efective way to turn the game into a real MMORTS!!

After a town is attacked , the attacker should get a decent amount of resources but not all the resources that exist in town . ( Example: 75 % of a town's resources . Even if the army has enough space to carry more than that .)To help defenders protect their resources , there should be a building to hide a small amount of resources , much like a text browser RTS game has.

Buildings and walls can be damaged by attacking units , but will never be destroyed, instead they will become inactive and the defending player will need to repair the building for a small cost . Id say like 15% the initial cost .

For units i dont see how can they be " Revived " after a battle . They will simply die and players will have to train them again ( normal price ) . There can be, however, a building that can garrison troops like a bunker, but ofcourse they wont be able to defend the city from invadors.

The idea is to try to reach a win-win situation . The attacker must get a good reward from attacks , on the other hand , the defender shouldnt be so serious afected to the point he ends up with nothing.

As for offline play , i have no idea ... pherhaps some sort of bonus for the defending troops

Last edited by Enlightener : 08-23-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Temudjin has a default reputation

Honestly i actually assumed that towns could get destroyed or at least severely raided. This was the reason i applied for the Open Beta.

I am somewhat disappointed now because i really was looking forward to see some kind of crossover between Age of Empires and Travian.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM

crazyb0b is just below average reputation

One thing I would love to see be put into the game is a Diplomacy type sphere of play (think Illyriad). With it you can increase standings with certain cities that would lower costs/increase the units you can gain/access to "special shops". Be able send spies out and do espionage on other players checking their resources/standing army/defenses/etc. Send assassins out to eliminate opposing hero before battle. You could also use your diplomacy for countering the spies/thieves/assassins that would be sent to your town.

The possibilities are endless.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

There is joke around the office.

"Question: Ok guys - so on our forums few people want to be able to capture other player towns - there is no time to work this in - what do we do?"
"Answer: Easy - when player creates a town - there is a check mark - 'Do you want to be able to capture player towns?' - if the player says say - we let him play for 20 hours, and on his next login - his town is gone - and there is a big message 'your town been owned by another player, please start again' , that should make them happy!"

All of us want to be able to capture towns - but nobody wants to have their town captured Not in a game where you spend weeks building up.