Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 PM

darath has a default reputation
Default question

will creating units be squad-based like bfme2 or singular like AOE
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Hi Darath and welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, we're not entirely sure yet. At the moment the game is implimented with singular units. However now that we are working on a Xbox 360 version instead of strictly PC, we find this might be a little difficult playability wise, with the harder interface.

We are currently testing and debating between the two, however I believe it's currently in the batalions favour.

Last edited by Ryan Zelazny : 06-27-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

Yeah, on the 360 singular units would indeed be hard to control... unless there was something where you could create your own battalions (similar to control groups i guess but not the same exactly) as that way it would be possible do order each unit to do exactly what you want them to do or just do groups of units for greater ease
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny View Post
Hi Darath and welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, we're not entirely sure yet. At the moment the game is implimented with singular units. However now that we are working on a Xbox 360 version instead of strictly PC, we find this might be a little difficult playability wise, with the harder interface.

We are currently testing and debating between the two, however I believe it's currently in the batalions favour.
I personally like the battalions myself because they are much easier to control.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang

Last edited by Ryan Zelazny : 06-27-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 AM

darath has a default reputation

i would prefer singular, if they where like stronghold in making the weapons it would be more realistic
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

To Update this topic - we did decided to go with batalions, the questions now is how many units per batalion. Did you guyss like it more with 5-10 units like BftME 1, or 20-30 like BftME 2?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

5-10. It seemed so much better to me. I hated the way BFME2 had it set up. It was really dumb.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

5-10 is much easier to manage and also allows for more precise manuvering etc. I find 8 is a good number for some reason but i don't know why Besides, generally when the battalions are larger the creators of games make them take longer to build, i'd rather be able to get 3 groups of ten out in the same time as 1 group of 30. If my town is under attack i need guys quickly, not slowly.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

yeah i choose 5-10 units!! in BFME2 it sucked so hard even when u lined up your men they looked ugly....heres a hint DONT PUT THE BATTLIONS IN STRAIGHT ROWS I HATE THAT make em look like they were ready for war
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

I personally prefer the word "squad" to battallion, because the shorthand "batt" is confusable with the word "battle".

In terms of size, I think that the problem with BFME2's large squads wasn't so much the size itself, but pathing issues. I think it all depends on how it is managed. In terms of how the squad spreads itself out, that should be on a case-to-case basis. I think orcs make sense spread out, but cavalry should charge in lines, and a spear formation definitely should be a tight box.

I do believe size should vary from unit-type to unit-type and faction to faction. It might make a lot of sense to put phalanx in a big formation, but light cavalry in a small formation. I think it's all about what works best for gameplay and that unit type in specific.

Most games have a variety of features like variable starting resources and population limits, it might be cool if a squad size multiplier was also available, although that could cause balance issues with regards to heros, monsters, and other "non-squad" units.