Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Can One See Everything? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM

fyro11 has a default reputation
Default Can One See Everything?

I suppose this question would need two replies, one for singleplayer and one for multiplayer. There are usually three types of maps, ones on which you have no idea what the terrain is like when you start off. The unexplored areas are completely black. Then you have the 'explored' map where you can see the terrain but have no idea where the enemy is. Lastly, you have the 'see all' map, where you can see the enemy and all that it's doing. So which one will it be in both singleplayer and multiplayer? Please, not the last one in either, or there wouldn't be any scouting.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

Well i think its the gonna be the first or secound in multiplyer and the secound one in single player (Perhaps u can choose)

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Both Shroud and Fog of War are implemented into the game; there will be a lot of scouting and exploring to do in both single player and multiplayer.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM

fyro11 has a default reputation

Thanks! Just what I wanted to hear. This is indeed fulfilling everyone's wishes and not making a mess of it. Great. We're all anxious for this sweet game to hit beta stage.

Btw, I feel pretty embarassed not being able to use the correct terminology, i.e. the Shroud and Fog of War, moreso because I hail from a RTS-gaming background.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyro11 View Post
Btw, I feel pretty embarassed not being able to use the correct terminology, i.e. the Shroud and Fog of War, moreso because I hail from a RTS-gaming background.
No problem, people probibly call it a bunch of otherstuff also ( shroud= unexplored area; unseen area{ if units cant see it}=fog of war.), but yea those terms are what I know it as in the SAGE engine atleast, (c&c 3, generals, bfme2) and most comman in most games.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

It's the same terminology for the Warcraft series.

Typically for multiplayer games, the shroud isn't used. After all, anyone who has played the map before knows what it looks like, and it only puts newbies at a disadvantage, something they certainly don't need. Singleplayer, on the other hand, usually includes the shroud to add a degree of mystery to the first time you encounter a new level. Games without either a shroud or a fog of war are uncommon, though not unheard of (Stronghold, for instance). Some are a little weird, too; early C&C games had a shroud but not a fog of war, and it worked pretty well.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Generation is someone to look uptoGeneration is someone to look upto

im gonna get warcraft this weekend so i can play dota for first time and let's be friends on the game when i get it if anyone has it
Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 AM

cherbui has a default reputation

this brings up another question when we're about to besieged do we know where our enemies will be spawning from ? or will it be random... i mean having our base in the center(i'm guessing) , will all our enemies be coming from different N S W E location or the same spot =)
Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
im gonna get warcraft this weekend so i can play dota for first time and let's be friends on the game when i get it if anyone has it
dota is overrated, IMO, but WC3 is still a great game even years later. It really serves to illustrate how the long-term appeal of a RTS game rides almost exclusively on its map editor. That's why the map editor is the feature I'm most curious about in DoF.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Tbeaz161 has a default reputation

will our mages have some sort of spell that increases their line of sight, or will they be able to turn into a hawk or something along those lines?
Closed Thread