Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

ingame rankings - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 AM
Elite Member

raving is someone to look uptoraving is someone to look upto
Default ingame rankings

Are there going to be ingame rankings in the game??
Personely im not really a big fan about this but still would be usefull to know if it gets into the game. And if so how are the ranks calculated.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neotyguy40 has a default reputation

I remember seeing it in a screenshot...
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

We actually have 2 different ranks. Both are used for MMO play, however only your skill level rank is used for Skirmish.

One ranks your skill level, I'm not sure on the actual math on how this is determined, but I know it's a mix of the time it takes for the battle to finish, how many units you created / lost vs. your opponent, and your opponent's own rank with a few other things thrown in for good measure.

The other rank is for your army's size, this is for MMO mode, so that you don't get matched against someone with a massive army when you only have a handful of units.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

crex719 has a default reputation

So is it possible to be matched up with a higher ranked person if your army is alot larger than people ranked around you?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

Maybe if army size is the only thing it calculates witch i sure hope not

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex719 View Post
So is it possible to be matched up with a higher ranked person if your army is alot larger than people ranked around you?
It is possible, because if you are sort've by yourself in both rankings we don't want you to have no one to play with. However we will make the ranks easily shown, so that when you get your list of people who are matched against your ranks, you have an idea of what your up against.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny View Post
One ranks your skill level, I'm not sure on the actual math on how this is determined, but I know it's a mix of the time it takes for the battle to finish, how many units you created / lost vs. your opponent, and your opponent's own rank with a few other things thrown in for good measure.
I'm highly reserved about this. The problem I see here is that certain strategies may be rewarded score-wise while others are penalized score-wise. A strategy that utilizes heavy attrician may produce many casualties (thus lowering your score) but resulting in a resounding win. Is it necessarily "low skill" if you intended to get your units killed, and you ended up winning because you used that fodder effectively?

The biggest issue I see here is smurfing. I don't know where the term came from, so don't ask. Smurfing means you intentionally keep your skill level low so that the automatic matching system gives you weaker opponents. This lets you attain an account with a ridiculously good win/loss ratio. If there is even a small exploit, there will be people who will use it, and it really can **** off everyone.

While I understand the logic of rewarding someone for playing harder and playing to end, it might actually backfire in many ways. The one thing I will say I like about your system is that it would encourage people to play to the end. A last stand may be hopeless, but it could be semi-redeeming.

For a ranking system, you need two things. You need the player's current level, and the player's projected level. If someone wins their first five matches, they haven't "earned" the skill level of a high level player, but they've demonstrated that they may do so in the future. You should scale the difficulty of their matches appropriately, as a result. Conversely, their opponent shouldn't be penalized too much for losing to a "newbie" since that newbie is actually a rising star.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Elite Member

Grizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputation

I think in mmo their should be a withdraw feature: give it say a 3 minute timer so if your about to lose and you want to keep some of your fort in tact to rebuild, you can use this then stick it out till the withdraw. Maybe have a 20% penalty on certain resources as a sort of punishment. This could stop peopel from quitting when they kow its over.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Elite Member

raving is someone to look uptoraving is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlez View Post
I think in mmo their should be a withdraw feature: give it say a 3 minute timer so if your about to lose and you want to keep some of your fort in tact to rebuild, you can use this then stick it out till the withdraw. Maybe have a 20% penalty on certain resources as a sort of punishment. This could stop peopel from quitting when they kow its over.
if my memory serves me correctly i think i saw a developer answering that you could surrender, and will loose only a certain degree of your castle