Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

"Official" What Other Factions Do You Want To See Thread - Page 51 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Other Faction Would You Like to See?
Dragons 81 16.60%
Dark Elves 30 6.15%
Vikings / Nords 71 14.55%
Undead 128 26.23%
Dwarves 122 25.00%
Minotaurs 33 6.76%
Other 21 4.30%
Gnomes (tech!) 2 0.41%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 PM

kinyon has fair reputation
Lightbulb Navrahiem- My idea for a new faction.

(copy right David Annan July 30th 2009)

WARNING: This involves alot of text, in block format (my computer was being ridiculous and wasn't letting me properly organize the writings, so i had to make due)

I just discovered this game recently and due to the lack of any meaty information about it on the main website i migrated to these forums. I have been reading about this game for a few days now on here. Among the threads was one of "What new factions would you like to see?" It had a poll and one of the choices was the Undead. This got my brain working as i became very excited about this; I've always enjoyed playing the dark bad guys. i started to imagine how it could be made to work, and my ideas became refined to the point where i decided to bring them to your attention. Without further ado, i give you the Navrahiem!

Background/History (watered down version)
Aeons ago there lived a race of creatures related to Man. They called themselves the Navrahiem, which in their language means "rays of the dawn". They were tall and fair, with hair that seemed spun of gold. In the northern most parts of the world they lived, delving into hedonism. Life was not hard for them, they lived for hundreds of years and each individual of this race had an acute magical talent. But as time went on they became bitter towards the end of their carnal indulgences: Death. Eventually, this ancient race of man turned to the darkest magics, looking for any way to stop the inevitable. They discovered how to reanimate corpses and control them, as well as how to craft monstrosities out of mangled together corpses. But these reanimated things lacked the spark of life, completely mindless. As time went on and they began to despair, they discovered that they could prolong their own lives and gain substantial magical power (mana?) by devouring the souls of living beings. As they were the only sapient species at the time, they turned on each other and anarchy reigned in their once great society. Brother killed brother, and neighbor killed neighbor. Most fled to the wilderness, hunting their brethren and being hunted in turn. It seemed as if this were the sunset of their race, their cities abandoned and all bonds of fellowship forgotten. Fortunately, there then came a new species of sapient creatures, humanoid and naive to the world. The Navrahiem, scattered across the land and hunting each other jumped at this opportunity. They banded together and recreated their civilization, preparing to make war upon the new comers. They crafted armies of undead monstrosities to bring their prey to heel, and sent them forth to harvest the new species' souls. They did so extremely effectively. Every single last one of the new race was exterminated. The Navrahiem feasted upon their stolen souls, and lived for thousands upon thousands of years. They lost themselves in the pleasures of flesh until they realized that they had no more souls to eat. Wanting to avoid the chaos that had happened before, they chose to sleep until the land had sapient life once more. They banded together all their magics and froze their land, preserving them for eternity, if need be. Now they have been awakened to a world teeming with life, and souls.

Important Stuff
Overall feel
The Navrahiem will rely heavily on numbers, but to make them different from the Orcs they will also be very powerful when it comes to speed and magic.
Corpses and Souls
The Navrahiem would have two extra resources: Corpses and mana (or maybe a more apt term would be soul energy? but I'll just continue to refer to it as mana, for now). Corpses would be needed for undead units, and the number of corpses needed would vary. Mana would be needed for Navrahiem units, as well as spells used by Navrahiem units, and needed for the reanimation of the dead. There would be two ways to procure these resources; on the battle field by collecting corpses and souls (which is then turned into the mana) from fallen enemies and comrades or by building slave pens in your city. Slave pens would produce new subjects to be harvested, continually, but it would not be very fast, so raids and constant fighting would greatly benefit the Navrahiem.

Unit Creation and control
The way that Navrahiem would produce units is rather unique. Firstly, at their city they would need to train a Navrahiem sorcerer. Once that is done, the Navrahiem sorcerer can then produce a squad of undead of it's choosing. In example, a Navrahiem sorcerer could create a squad of 10 ghouls for 10 corpses by going to the nearest source of corpses and clicking the build squad icon. Some units will be created instantly, others will take time. If the controlling sorcerer were killed, then they're wards would either die or turn on each other. The undead would always be linked to their sorcerer, but do not need to be around them at all times (well, some of the lower units would maybe need to be close by to their master). However, when a squads commanding sorcerer is close by, they will gain significant buffs, so there will be encouragement to not just hide your sorcerers away.
All undead units will work in squads as opposed to singular units.

Architecture
Their architecture will be smooth with few protrusions. Most structures will will be pyramidal or involve spires and towers (some with bridges going between them, so that they look cooler :P) . Their buildings should have few windows or doors, but the ones they do have should be similar to Gothic Arches.

Unit Ideas
Slave: Worker unit. Very weak, possibly controlled by slave master. Only costs food. Can collect resources and construct buildings.
Slave Master: Can produce slaves and control them. If they die the slaves will turn on the player. Must be close by to the slaves. Weak attack, costs food and metal and money.
Navrahiem Sorcerer: Spellcaster unit, capable of some simple attack and curse spells. Extremely tough. Can produce Zombies and Ghouls. Is limited to two squads of units. This unit would only cost food, mana, and money i guess.
Zombie: Your base attack unit. Slow and weak attack but costs only 1 corpse and 1 mana per zombie. Each squad can have a substantial amount of members. Can be massed very easily ( so cannon fodder, basically). Very vulnerable to fire and archers kiting. Is created instantly at base or on the battlefield by sorcerer. Can eat enemy bodies to regain health.
Ghoul: Fast, okay attack and easily massed. Very weak against melee units, but good for hunting down archers and flanking enemy. Can hide and collect bodies off battlefield. Can also heal self by eating corpses. Can be produced on the battlefield or at base with a sorcerer. Costs 2 corpses and a little bit of mana. Has two arms and four legs. Moves by crawling, insect like.
Werewolves: Human bodies mixed with the parts of wolves. Essentially the Navrahiem form of cavalry. Extremly fast, loping and bounding run. Would have four arms (aswell as four powerful back legs) with metal claws grafted on as well as a wolf's head. Very powerful attack, cant take much punishment though. Would cost metal, a substantial amount of corpses and mana. can only be produced at base by sorcerer.
Manopede: A monstrosity made of several men. Has a crapload of legs and arms ( some limbs made longer by fusing them together), with metal claws and a metal carapace giving it an insectoid appearance, kind of like a centipede. It's head would be clobbered together from many people, so it would be large with more than one face, seemingly screaming in agony. Very tough, very powerful, very fast. Can tunnel underneath the ground, which can open up a beach head for allies in a castle siege. Costs alot of metal, corpses and mana. Can only be created at base. Can eat corpses. Limited to two per sorcerer.
Navrahiem High Sorcerer: Powerful spellcasting unit, tough, with strong attack spells and curses. Can teleport short distances and hide. Can produce all undead units. Limited to 5 squads of units. Would cost alot of everything.
Corpse wagon: Can be a drop off point for corpses collected on a battlefield, so that Sorcerers won't have to go back to base or find another fresh battle field to produce more minions and so that you gain a greater pool of mana.
Building Ideas
Tower of Sorcery: Your starting building. Can produce Slave Masters and Navrahiem Sorcerers. Would kind of look like a very tall tower with a wide base that would slope up into a spire.
Graveyard: Place where corpses are stored. Sorcerers in the vicinity of this would be able to use it's stores of corpses to produce minions. If destroyed the player would lose whatever amount of corpses it held.
Slave Pen: Produces the corpse and mana resources. Could look like a squat pyramid with window slit lining it, with arms periodically reaching out of these slits. Or could be as simple as a pit or fenced in area with throngs of people in it, living in their own filth.

In conclusion, i hope you enjoyed reading my ideas, and please feel free to give any suggestions or criticisms you have. Thanks a lot for your time (and sorry for the wall of text) !

Last edited by kinyon : 07-29-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Haha, typo in my edit
Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

The idea is not bad, personally I like the story (there will be a movie with vampires rule the world and humans being hunted), beside this I got one word, necromancer.

P.S. You could have continued on "Official" What Other Factions Do You Want To See Thread instead opening a new one. TNX.

Last edited by szebus : 07-30-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Seems like a cool idea, I like how you could get close to an enemy city with only a few units and slaughter their patrols and create an army to destroy their castle.
The background is cool and unique, but this would probably only make it into DoF2 or something because this would take some significant balance to make this race balanced. It seems like a race that can easily become overpowered or underpowered.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I would have preferred this to be in the 'What new factions would you like to see?' topic; it doesn't deserve its own topic. I'm debating merging it. Don't be surprised if that happens.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 PM

kinyon has fair reputation

Go for it. I chose not to as that thread has over 50 pages and the last post in it was from a week or so ago.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Excellent. For future reference, instead of having numerous topics we tend to revive old ones. There's no shame in reviving long dead topics, we don't want information spread out unevenly in random topics. That's also why we have the search function.
But yes a nice coherent idea, I know that Reverie had planned for the Undead faction to be unique in their style, from all the different races (it was dropped due to the idea of the Undead recently being unveiled in Warcraft 3). Skim reading this reminded me, to ill effect, of the Angmar 'Thralls' in BFME:ROTWK, but thankfully this is not the case. We had ideas like this ourselves concerning sorcerers being the hub of the animated units' essence.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

i like the idea,.....though it was a lot of reading..........it could still possibliy work....
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Sharku has a default reputation

sounds really good, just wondering why the units have to have so many limbs?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Banned Acount Serfing

MrBlack103 has no reputation

Sounds quite good. I really love the concept of "slaves". Perhaps you would periodically have to put down rebellions?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Rebellions in your castle would be kinda unique, and incredibly annoying and could screw you over if it happened while you were at war and enemy was closing in. Then, you have to fight two things at once. Though, you could make it to where they don't revolt if your at war or your enemy's army is close to you.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)