Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

"Official" What Other Factions Do You Want To See Thread - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Other Faction Would You Like to See?
Dragons 81 16.60%
Dark Elves 30 6.15%
Vikings / Nords 71 14.55%
Undead 128 26.23%
Dwarves 122 25.00%
Minotaurs 33 6.76%
Other 21 4.30%
Gnomes (tech!) 2 0.41%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Dark Elves if they were to become a faction, in my opinion would have to be evil. There aren't many dark elves that turn good in Fantasy novels, so if we went against the grain with this race, they would most definitely flop as we try and make the races true to their Fantasy roots.

Not sure if the Necromancers would be a good idea with the Dark Elves either. I agree that their units would have to be quite powerful singularly. They would be at a big disadvantage as to archers though. Thats the big difference between them and surface elves, as archers wouldn't be too useful underground. They do use lots of hand-crossbows for short range but the only real long range thing they use is magic.

With the better at night, not good in day, I would agree with. The materials their weapons and armor are made out of are supposed to be harmed by sunlight, so that would be one disadvantage we could add, also lower their accuracy due to the sunlight affecting their sensitive eyes.

I would worry that people might expect to use a sort of underground tunneling system to move their units during the day, which could also be used by the Dwarves. However, then we risk getting to close to another RTS (which I cannot remember the name of, i think it's Armies of Xergo or something) but basically they have an underground and surface on every map.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I'm not too fond of incorporating the Dark Elves and Undead. True true, I had contemplated it when I was writing my last posts but decided upon innane babble instead But, I have a couple of points:
1). There is lots of diversity and scope for amazing ideas for each faction. For example, your Night and Day Cycle of Advantages/Disadvantages would be great, but for the Undead, I could only really see that affecting the Vampyres. I mean, I don't think Skeletons care if it's night or day. True, the dark forces of necromancy may have some affiliation with the Lunar Cycle but that shouldn't matter much. There are so many possibilities for both Dark Elves and the Undead, that to limit them and to force them into one faction would destroy some of the greatest diversity. Or, if all units included, some obvious ones would be neglected as there are so many units to choose from compared to the original factions.
2). Dark Elves aren't necessarily evil (going into the whole definition thing). What may be a possibility is that they didn't choose their name. Perhaps, as contextual background, Dark Elves were given the derogatory prefix "Dark because they broke off from the High Elves. An example is the Wood Elves who may view the High Elves as Dark because they denied the embrace of Mother Nature. Or, the High Elves the Wood Elves because they degenerated into pagans in the forest. Far from being evil, the Dark Elves could be perhaps a schism that the regular elves so evidently oppose.

I want to see both factions? Siege units for Dark Elves could include:
o Ballistae = ballistae that fire large bolts quickly, in succession, after each other; one is fired and the other falls into place. Small reload time (though still some, mechanisms can only decrease pull of rope)
o Advanced Battering Ram = setup infront of a gate, this thing requires no people instead relies upon robes, cogs and other pieces of it's vast amount of mechanism to use its own momentum (stabilised by wooden beams) to constantly pound the gate
o Generic (catapult, siege tower and ladders)
o Smaller Ballistae = small, 2 man ones to decimate troops. Like a crossbow-machine gun. Think Roman Ballistae.
o Upgrades for Ballistae = ropes. Not to climb up, but once fired at wall if sticks on say the revetments then people/monsters if they are evil pull at it to pull away the wall

Last edited by Puppeteer : 05-21-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Generation is someone to look uptoGeneration is someone to look upto

and what would they be made of they cant use wood in Dawn of Fantasy
Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Those siege weapons seam very generic and just slightly weird (pulling down walls with ropes?).

How about some crazy magical purple crystal that emits sonic waves to shatter structures (walls, gates etc.) or something along those lines? Could even have a special ability to stun units or whatever.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Thing is, are they evil? Or misunderstood?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

wou129 is someone to look uptowou129 is someone to look upto

in my opinion thay are the forces of eviel and call demons on earth
Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

nananana. They arent evil they just have a wierd mind (And a little bit evil MWAHAHAHAHAHA)

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
and what would they be made of they cant use wood in Dawn of Fantasy
Elves do use wood, just the workers can't kill trees or gather wood, there are still other ways to get wood though, easy ways.
I think if where going to name them a stupid name like "Dark Elves" then I think they would be evil.

Which I think is good, alot of players won't play elves because they want to be 'Evil' Orcs instead, this would allow players to be the 'Evil' side as the elves.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, D. Elves are totally evil (yes, I'm aware they don't technically need to be), get over it guys. Here's an awesome pic for inspiration. Interesting thing is D. Elves aren't as much represented in fantasy games (compared to other races at least). Note the elegant lines of her crossbow, saber and armour.

Some kind of summons to augment their forces would be nice, if not undead then deamons or something. Also a slavery theme might be interesting too. In Forgotten Realms Drow enslave members of various races for different purposes, goblins (as workers and combat fodder), dwarves (as craftsmen), minotaurs/bugbears (house guards, heavy laborers) etc. If units in DOF come in groups when built (with no regard as to whether they move as individual units or in "battalion form"), the basic fighting body of the D. Elves could be a kind of a "slave rabble" team. Let's say you get 10 units from one recruiting, 4 of those could be goblins, 3 could be humans, 2 dwarves and 1 surface elf. Basically a mob of differently skilled units with poor or mediocre equipment, potentially "brainwashed" by Drow magic to make them more obedient soldiers. Anyway, I'm just throwing idea around.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*

Last edited by Jean=A=Luc : 05-22-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

wou129 is someone to look uptowou129 is someone to look upto

nice pic man