Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Rift - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 AM

unodallakorea has a default reputation
Default Rift

Hey everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone here had tried the new Rift game and what were your impressions after a bit of playing... I'm looking for a mmorpg to play as well, but the fact of paying a monthly fee is quite a deterrent for me... so do you think it is worth it?

thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM

WarriorKing has a default reputation

I was in the Beta and as always i got tired of bashing mobs for XP.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Garrelt has a default reputation
well i'v been playing it for some time now and the game has some great open wold quest's were 100'ts of player's gather. like the crazy big invasions that happen world wide in the game
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Tigressa has a default reputation

No, it looks interesting but I'm more into MMORTS
Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 AM

godisafk has a default reputation

if you dont want to pay a monthly fee to play you can look at a ton of free to play MMOs out there.. there are a ton that are actually pretty good and are not very micro transaction dependent
Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 AM

unodallakorea has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisafk View Post
if you dont want to pay a monthly fee to play you can look at a ton of free to play MMOs out there.. there are a ton that are actually pretty good and are not very micro transaction dependent
Yes you are right, I was just disappointed because by looking at the screenshots and reading about the setting, the story, the classes, the mechanics, ecc. I was really attracted by the game.

I've played LOTRO for a while, which I've found really good and well built in every details, and imho a good microtransaction system as well, but the lack of pvp has been an important factor that made me stop playing the game.

Any other suggestion for good games with good microtransaction system?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dolas has a default reputation

I played Rift during the beta, and then about a month after the game came out I ended up buying it. It's not bad and the graphics are far superior to many other mmo's. So, yes, I am enjoying it, but then again I stopped playing mmorpg's in general for about 8 months before it released, so the whole "kill 10 boar's" or "loot 5 quest items" really didn't bother me that much. I have not tried the BG's in Rift (but, it does have them), so I cant tell you about the pvp part of the game, but the dungeons that I have done look really cool.

However, if you still would like a f2p game that micro-transactions are not mandatory, then I have a couple.

League of Legends (LoL) - This game is absolutely amazing with their micro-transaction system. You can buy any game changing item from their shop with influence points (which you get by playing games) and the runes that you buy to improve yourself can only be bought with influence points (so no one can buy their way to having the best stuff). The only things that need to be bought with riot points (which you have to pay to get) are the skins, which are completely cosmetic. So, great game over all, however, it really isn't an mmorpg, its more of an mmorts, but you only control one character like an mmorpg. It's basically a remake of Dota in Warcraft 3. (and the whole game is based around pvp, if thats what you like)

Vindictus - A lot of people might argue with me on this one, but I think the micro-transaction isn't that bad. You get 50 coins 3 times per week to use on dungeons, after the first introductory one. You use 2 coins per dungeon until you complete 7 dungeons in a day and then it goes up to 3 coins and so forth. So unless you play like 5-6 hours every day, then you wont run out of coins. Also, the game is really skill based more than gear based. It's a hack-and-slash mmo so basically you can dodge or block attacks and even pick up things on the ground and throw it at the enemy. It is a lot of fun and I haven't spent anything at the cash shop which basically consists of more coins, costumes, and some items that might help you in dungeons, but are not required. The coins and costumes do give you a slight buff, but mostly its a slight armor boost and/or luck (which increases your chance to get stuff) and as the game is mostly pve (they only just added a duel system, but no BG's) the buffs really are not that big of a deal. However, the game is being run by Nexon, which a lot of people hate, so that also could be a factor (however, I have yet to have a problem with them)

Those are really the only two games that I can honestly say have not affected me in anyway with their micro-transactions. I am not saying they are the best, but I have played many f2p games over the years and I have to say that these two games are the only ones that keep me coming back. I'm sorry I didn't give you any info on f2p mmorpg's, but I have found that p2p are way better in this area than f2p (most of them having an awful micro-transaction model) . If anything, Guild Wars 2 will probably be the closest thing you are looking for in terms of mmorpg's (but, then again, its probably not going to come out till 2015)

P.S. Sorry for the long post, I just needed to give each game a proper review
P.S.S. And I hope to add DoF to that list as well

Last edited by Dolas : 04-27-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM

kentbrack has a default reputation

I want to try it! But there is no free trail -.-
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 AM

WarriorKing has a default reputation

Im really looking forward to a Vindictus EU release.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dolas has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentbrack View Post
I want to try it! But there is no free trail -.-
You should check their website every once in a while. For the last couple of weeks they have been giving away beta keys to play with during the last couple weekend. They are only good for the weekend specified, but it gives you a chance to try it for free before you think about buying it.