Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Buildings - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
The Witch King of Angmar's Avatar
The Witch King of Angmar The Witch King of Angmar is offline
Reverie Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minas Morgul, Middle-Earth
Posts: 1,809
The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Quite a while ago i wanted the same thing TYRANICK, blueprint options atleast, but yes this would make a massive unknown gap in balancing.

But please remember that these are walkible walls not some unwalkible piece of **** from AOE 3 or BFME2. These walls have tons of upgrades all chosen by you to upgrade for a cost. Also there are layers of walls that you must build each costing quite a bit, and even more for upgrades, therefore there are many tactical options for you to choose, but yes, simply having walls stretching across the entire map is, out of the question. Your enemy will have the ability to surround you, and siege you, and pillage your farms unto ruin and you cower into the safety of your walls, coward humans!
Maybe you should join the Orcs.
Oh, and also, the Orcs’ walls are not built anywhere either they are prebuilt in this latest build aswell. But the buildings you can build anywhere to your liking.

We’ve thought about making the walls ‘ free style ‘ but it would simply mess up the balance to much and it wouldn’t look very good. It would lead, for more people, to not even have walls. Like it is in bfme2, just a rush game, no need for walls, ‘the game ends in 5 minutes anyways, why build walls’. Otherwise, having random walls spamed all over the place looks really stupid. and not a very good image I believe.

Goblin Archer: “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahah Stupid humans!”

Having a properly constructed stronghold with several layers of walls with trebuchets boiling oil, archer towers here and there in a nice realistic fasion holding off a massive orc army. Now that’s a image I can see in DOF!
Do the preset walls all depend on where you build or can you only build in some spots? Also, will camps have preset walls too?

Thanks
__________________
"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey..."

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM
WearisomeWall WearisomeWall is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 17
WearisomeWall has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeaz161 View Post
Like if they get a seige tower on my wall are my people able to fight onto it and over take it or knock it over or somethin?
I saw a ladder being knocked off of a wall in one of the screenshots, so I assume things like this can work.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
†TYRANICK†™ †TYRANICK†™ is offline
Human Sect:
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here =]
Posts: 78
†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Quite a while ago i wanted the same thing TYRANICK, blueprint options atleast, but yes this would make a massive unknown gap in balancing.

But please remember that these are walkible walls not some unwalkible piece of **** from AOE 3 or BFME2. These walls have tons of upgrades all chosen by you to upgrade for a cost. Also there are layers of walls that you must build each costing quite a bit, and even more for upgrades, therefore there are many tactical options for you to choose, but yes, simply having walls stretching across the entire map is, out of the question. Your enemy will have the ability to surround you, and siege you, and pillage your farms unto ruin and you cower into the safety of your walls, coward humans!
Maybe you should join the Orcs.
Oh, and also, the Orcs’ walls are not built anywhere either they are prebuilt in this latest build aswell. But the buildings you can build anywhere to your liking.

We’ve thought about making the walls ‘ free style ‘ but it would simply mess up the balance to much and it wouldn’t look very good. It would lead, for more people, to not even have walls. Like it is in bfme2, just a rush game, no need for walls, ‘the game ends in 5 minutes anyways, why build walls’. Otherwise, having random walls spamed all over the place looks really stupid. and not a very good image I believe.

Goblin Archer: “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahah Stupid humans!”

Having a properly constructed stronghold with several layers of walls with trebuchets boiling oil, archer towers here and there in a nice realistic fasion holding off a massive orc army. Now that’s a image I can see in DOF!
Don't dis AOE3 lol, i made a mod for them to have walkable fort walls so on you! hehe

That all sounds very nice and i like the sound of the upgrades and you say we will have lots of different ways of putting the walls up.

And you say there walkable and fully mountable walls...well then wouldn't encouraging a little bit of "free form" with walls help with the defenses? You could build another set of defenses and wall going along a choke point or by a bridge or near a sea front...get some archers to patrol up and down...and have your segments of than wall linked to you main city walls. Allowing us to at least "build off" from predefined walls would be a better idea. Because then it would encourage use of mounted wall units, placing them across a sea free front, having them patrol up and down to spot ships or spies, then to quickly run back your base to defend, or to step down from the walls, act as a decoy for your enemy, would make for a lot of devious moments.

But...i do agree that "free style" provokes noob spamming....hmmm.

Also...no offense to the next part...but...

By the way you say "mess up the balance to much and it wouldn’t look very good. It would lead, for more people, to not even have walls. Like it is in bfme2, just a rush game, no need for walls, ‘the game ends in 5 minutes anyways, why build walls’. Otherwise, having random walls spammed all over the place looks really stupid. and not a very good image"

Dude...we're not all idiots who just spam walls and go "OH NO3S DEMZ GUY GOT DA ARMY AMZA GUNa BUILT t3h wall in iz face lolz so he cnt getz ma base, har har u gotz t3h pwnzord by mez wall 1337 shiz"

I for one, like having at least some freedom, because i believe that strongholds are NOT made to the absolute maximum defense, with just 1 outer perimeter of predefined neatly set up walls...YES! IT DOES! make it look awesome...BUT its "limiting".

I would TOTALLY support if you added in a feature for us to "break off" and expand our defenses with a little bit of freedom.

And saying it would lead people to rush? Lol no it wouldn't at all! Not with all the awesome features you say the walls will have. you seem to not like bfme2 lol...i didn't really, but never had a problem with rushers that much...mordor just pwned.

Hmmmm...

OH!! A SOLUTION!!

How about making free-style limited to single player and skirmish and keep the normal predefined for online play? That way you got the best of both worlds then...maybe some kind of option in skirmish mode "predefined structures...or *frees style* structures".

At least consider thinking about it? For me that would solve this worry 100%

Principal is entirely sound for MMO play, regular skirmish and single player, give us an option of either or maybe even both styles.

Oh and yeah...as long as we can place our gates and towers and other defenses where we want too will also make it a bit better .
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Tbeaz161 Tbeaz161 is offline
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Tbeaz161 has a default reputation
Default

I've been hearing alot of choke points what are those? Also I was wondering if we could get a general idea of how far you are into completion if you know. Then we would know if you were actually able to put some of the stuff in we are suggesting without holding it back like 6 months :P. The Predetermined thing sounds pretty cool to me becasue it sounds like there will be some variety and I want to play it before I dis it. Also will what region you pick for your race to start in determine your town set up? Also I have an awesome idea for the undead... BONE WALLS! ok maybe it wasn't THAT awesome you decide
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
†TYRANICK†™ †TYRANICK†™ is offline
Human Sect:
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here =]
Posts: 78
†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeaz161 View Post
I've been hearing alot of choke points what are those? Also I was wondering if we could get a general idea of how far you are into completion if you know. Then we would know if you were actually able to put some of the stuff in we are suggesting without holding it back like 6 months :P. The Predetermined thing sounds pretty cool to me becasue it sounds like there will be some variety and I want to play it before I dis it. Also will what region you pick for your race to start in determine your town set up? Also I have an awesome idea for the undead... BONE WALLS! ok maybe it wasn't THAT awesome you decide
Bone walls would be awesome for undead, but no undead till next DoF or expansion lol

Choke point? Well imagine a bottle neck of troops, sorta like that, somewhere where a defensive advantage could make you succeed or nearly succeed overwhelming odds (Example the film 300 <3 300 hehe)

Sure it "can" be cool...but I'd need to experience it my self first.

Also... what do people think of my compromise?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Tbeaz161 Tbeaz161 is offline
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 111
Tbeaz161 has a default reputation
Default

That sounds intresting there might be balance issues although (not that I think there is I don't really know anything about that stuff )
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
†TYRANICK†™ †TYRANICK†™ is offline
Human Sect:
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here =]
Posts: 78
†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeaz161 View Post
That sounds intresting there might be balance issues although (not that I think there is I don't really know anything about that stuff )
Heh well you have to utilise them effectively of course. Not unbalancing because if your enemy has control over one of those points (or several) then your kinda screwed if you want to go on the offensive heh. Buts its rare so d/w. RTS's aren't souly about map dominance.

Anyway, skirmish "free style"? +1 good idea IMO. since then your only harming an AI hehe.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Feweh Feweh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 168
Feweh has fair reputation
Default

In Age of Empires 3 you could like build 20 layers of walls all close to eachother.

Kinda killed the fun if you ask me, not only that but when you look at it it looks stupid.



Anyways this is usually the part where the CEO/Producer shows us a screenshot of something cool and we all drop the topic and talk about how amazing something is.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
†TYRANICK†™ †TYRANICK†™ is offline
Human Sect:
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here =]
Posts: 78
†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feweh View Post
In Age of Empires 3 you could like build 20 layers of walls all close to eachother.

Kinda killed the fun if you ask me, not only that but when you look at it it looks stupid.



Anyways this is usually the part where the CEO/Producer shows us a screenshot of something cool and we all drop the topic and talk about how amazing something is.
Haha yeah that's what im hoping for

Of course spamming them in most RTS kills the fun for you opponent but...dont you think we should at least maybe have some sort of option of freedom? Even if its just for skirmish like if said...4 time now lol xD
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Feweh Feweh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 168
Feweh has fair reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
Haha yeah that's what im hoping for

Of course spamming them in most RTS kills the fun for you opponent but...dont you think we should at least maybe have some sort of option of freedom? Even if its just for skirmish like if said...4 time now lol xD


As long as theres more than a two players fighting in skirmish i'm good with it.

Problem with free buulding walls is that there's always some turds that will build walls everywhere!!

As long as the pre-set system is good i'm fine with it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Kingdom Wars and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.