Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Diversity to gameplay, to game objectives + Troops prod AI - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Ovocean has a default reputation

I think you give too much importance to the definition, it's not the definition that makes the game but rather the opposite.
And actually I also think that you are wrong with the definition. A Strategy game means that it implies thinking out strategies as its most important element in gameplay. Real Time means that it is not turn based, that the players play simultaneously; this has nothing to do with things like "the player has to control everything" or anything else.

Btw, it is said that DoF will include some automating in the economy for those who don't want to micromanage but prefer concentrate on managing their units etc. (at the cost of a bad economy, as an AI won't do as well as a human). So I'm not the only one to think like I do.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

I agree with Joseph Visscher's position, but I disagree with his reasoning on this matter. He's right that such a system of automation would not work for Dawn of Fantasy, but he's wrong that it wouldn't work for any game in the genre. If a game was designed with that type of automation in mind, it could be a very fun and competitive game all the same.

RTS games are based on choices. Players must make decisions and execute them within a limited time frame. Players cannot manage absolutely every decision, however. We certainly don't have time to trace out the paths that each individual unit should follow to get between point A and point B, there is a pathing system in place to do that automatically. The player loses a degree of control, but is freed to make his decisions in a more streamlined manner. As a result, most RTS games automate trivial, boring, or non-consequential decision making.

Now, I think that a system that automates the economy as mentioned could work for a different game. In fact, the economic system could be expanded on a much highest scale to require a greater degree of planning and structuring because the AI could be counted upon to deal with the simpler and lower level operations. Or the economic aspect could be simplified dramatically so there is no longer any real intelligence required at that level and game could become far more aggressive with a greater focus on commanding the army while the base was sidelined and mostly AI controlled. There are many ways such a game could be implemented and be both very fun and competitive.

Dawn of Fantasy places a great deal of complexity in the base and how you manage it. If you read the details on the game, you can see there actually is a considerable amount of automation; you don't need to directly control individual workers, enabling you to manage your economy at a level you might not otherwise have been capable of. This automation has enabled DoF to introduce a higher level of economic planning. However, if you take away that higher level of planning, you simplify the intelligent and non-trivial decision making process required from the player. Good automation expands upon the player's decision making, options, and choices. Bad automation cuts them down. Your suggestion in this context falls into the latter category. In a different game it could be the former, but it'd have to be designed for it.

Last edited by Darvin : 04-17-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Err, actually all of my arguments applied to the concept of an AI taking care of producing presets of troops. I've really not said much about automation of the economy.

This said, I think I would agree with you. I need more info on what has been done as to "automating" micromanagmt of the economy in DoF. You seem to know more than me on that topic.

Edit : Argh, the discussion is starting to be a little complex, so back to the start: If you want me to play to this game with great pleasure, give me an AI that will help me manage some part of the game. It's my personal taste. It's not fun for me to be inundated with one thousand tasks; I like the Stragety part of the game, so give me time to think about good strategies.

Last edited by Ovocean : 04-17-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

There’s already is AI built into the workers of dof for gathering resources, so there won’t be to much micromanagement, for your workers; it should be farley easy, it’s not going to be like tasking your workers on every single tree, they will go to the next nearest tree on their own. Lol.
But it will still be upto you on how many do what, I do not believe we will have AI that will automaticly move lets say 10 workers logging wood to go mine some gold if your running out of gold.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 04-17-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

What, in your opinion, will DoF focus more on? The military aspect or the economy?

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
What, in your opinion, will DoF focus more on? The military aspect or the economy?
Is it a question for me? I would say military, but what are you driving at?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovocean View Post
Is it a question for me? I would say military, but what are you driving at?
I actually meant for Reverie. I'm wondering because that will determine gameplay alot more.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post

My opinion, Economy in the beginning for sure, late game it will be military and supreme tactics, espeically with sieging, or being sieged yourself. But some of these tactics will be thinking ahead and improving your economy before the whole war/battle begins. . . So yea, both... but if i had to choose just one, I would go with economy and building your empire.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

That's what originally drew me to the game was the castles and the buildings such as farms or mills.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Yay castles! lol
Are you going to have the unit cycle that Aoe3 had, whereby you click a button and the unit queue is repeated? Might be cool, but underused if people like to change what they're building quite often to meet up with demands