Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Can we build cities? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Orc Sect:
Slayer

willyneo has a default reputation

I was hoping that you would be able to design it from the ground up. Alwell. I remember the warcraft 3 custom maps a map called Castle Builder. I could spend hours building one castle just to never be attacked. But I always made wall after wall one time A friend and I took just over 1/4 of the map. We had so many walls and doors and unupgraded towers since they cost food to upgrade. I can see how some of the castles people build might become impossible to kill.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM

cyril360 has a default reputation

is the game focused on building a econmy or get large armies?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Kultyz has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyneo View Post
I was hoping that you would be able to design it from the ground up. Alwell. I remember the warcraft 3 custom maps a map called Castle Builder. I could spend hours building one castle just to never be attacked. But I always made wall after wall one time A friend and I took just over 1/4 of the map. We had so many walls and doors and unupgraded towers since they cost food to upgrade. I can see how some of the castles people build might become impossible to kill.
Ye i remember that mod and it was amazing tbh in wc3, however i think it's a bit not functional in a mmo based rts, we could allways build build and build more and either everywhere we went was already built or it was under construction :P

This game has to have some kind of restrictions on how much u canbuild imo however i think as more variety of things u can build the better it will look /so everone can build they own shape ideal zone)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Merku has a default reputation

To the original poster and any subsequent posters regarding the building; while a Reverie member has commented - it might be best to show you what we know... lemme dig up that gameplay video... It does a good job showing you some aspects of city building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrkBJ...layer_embedded

That's the May 2010 video. I'm sure plenty has changed since then, functionally. Perhaps not conceptually.

From what's there, it seems like there are stages, or tiers of the castle - and then the city building aspect comes from what you build while in that stage, or tier. I haven't seen or read anything about what is required for an upgrade to a bigger stage, or tier. For clarification, what I mean by stage or tier is from the above video; note that the human city goes through stages of development - from a lone, I'd suppose keep - to a basic keep with surrounding wall, and so on. I'd call that a tier for the purposes of this discussion.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Reverie World Studios QA Tester

Noel Bohac has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merku View Post
To the original poster and any subsequent posters regarding the building; while a Reverie member has commented - it might be best to show you what we know... lemme dig up that gameplay video... It does a good job showing you some aspects of city building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrkBJ...layer_embedded

That's the May 2010 video. I'm sure plenty has changed since then, functionally. Perhaps not conceptually.

From what's there, it seems like there are stages, or tiers of the castle - and then the city building aspect comes from what you build while in that stage, or tier. I haven't seen or read anything about what is required for an upgrade to a bigger stage, or tier. For clarification, what I mean by stage or tier is from the above video; note that the human city goes through stages of development - from a lone, I'd suppose keep - to a basic keep with surrounding wall, and so on. I'd call that a tier for the purposes of this discussion.
Correct, pretty much on track here, the customization comes down to defensive structures, buildings you build etc. While the wall placements is always a conversation of constant discussion. I would put to you that if you remember games that offer such, how abusive people got with them in MP games. Not to mention you loose the whole aesthetics within the genre with walls becoming mazes and barriers, one after another.

Give it time guys, once you get to see it in action I think you will understand why and grasp the fact that this is really not a bad thing

"The story you just went through in 10 min took a team of devs 100 days to make"
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 AM

ilovemmorts has a default reputation

As long as there's no real limit on how big you can make your castle (just perhaps it must be symetrical, like a square shaped. no long skinny castles) then the not being able to place your walls idea would work fine. I just wish there was more information on this game with unbelievable potential. Barely any videos at all out there!

Would love to get into the Open beta
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Thaiden has a default reputation

I assume there would be some 'limit' to how big the castle is, hopefully the customization is enough to keep everyone busy.

Are there a lot of different building configurations for humans/elves or will the customizations be enough to make castles vary aesthetically?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

NobleIre has good reputation

I'm looking forward to seeing how much you can customize. I was at first dissapointed to see that walls are of set designs, but if it still enables you to customize defensive structures - then that is a big plus.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Mokhir has a default reputation

If the walls are preset, is there a limit to howmany layers of wall we can build? NOT meaning spamming 8 layers of stone walls to ward of attack i mean if the game is building cities like real cities, then you would build a towncenter, buildings, then wall that off. Then move onto the outer sections, build buildings, then wall it off. Sectioned parts of town that keep growing but with a limited about of wall that gets added around the section.

Example: Skin cells
Example #2: Honeycomb

I would really hope this is possible, but would be able to live without it if not. This is after all a really cool game.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

master0p has a default reputation

yes there is a limit.
1 outer wall for orcs and elves
2 outer walls for humans